What's new

My Guess... 3017

I'm two days in with RazoRock Napoleon's Violet. This tallow-based Italian soft soap has a very natural, light fragrance that is very different from my beloved Trumper's Violet. I figured that an Italian soft soap deserved its first latherings with an Italian boar brush, so I broke out my lightly used Omega 81052 to kick off the year. Yesterday, I used Marco's Master Barber lathering method, and though I got a pretty fair lather after a lot of work, it was too wet for me. Today I used a less wet brush and was rewarded with a fantastic slick lather. I'm not sure how long the soap will hold up under a load it like you hate it regimen, but I'm going to find out.

The TOBS Jermyn Street has finally died. It should have been killed off before I left South Africa, but it wasn't drying properly and the soupy mess wasn't lathering well. I finished it off this morning and barely got 2 passes out of it.

Yesterday, I premeired my next soap, Institute Karite. It was one of the best shaves I've ever had. It will begin its full-time 3017 treatment tomorrow with 2 previous shaves on it.

Taylor of Old Bond Street - Jermyn Street 09/29/12 - 01/04/13
Institute Karite - 01/05/13 - ?

I'm hoping the Tabac makes it for two more shaves, but it'll be close. It's a grated/pressed stick, not a puck, so it's gotten pretty sloppy at the end of its life (don't we all?). Great shave this morning, but I'm not sure it'll make it past tomorrow.

strop

Now half as wise
I broke thru my puck of Arlington on the 25th. Seems like I'll still have another couple of weeks. This has been the first soap I've given the 3017 treatment to, and I must say, has been enjoyable. Much more so than I would have predicted. Now to decide what to use next. I'm trying to decide betwen a sample of MWF pressed into a mug, Gold Dachs, or Pre de Provence.

Your thoughts on the scent? It is by no means a traditional almond scent (almond flower, IIRC).

I like it, Bob. Marzipan and sweet almond scents are not for me at all, but this one is terrific.

DR Harris Almond has a quintessential Eau de Quinine scent.

Indeed, sir.

I broke thru my puck of Arlington on the 25th. Seems like I'll still have another couple of weeks. This has been the first soap I've given the 3017 treatment to, and I must say, has been enjoyable. Much more so than I would have predicted. Now to decide what to use next. I'm trying to decide betwen a sample of MWF pressed into a mug, Gold Dachs, or Pre de Provence.

Well done Mark- glad that you are enjoying our journey. Hard to go wrong with that selection!

Just checkin in. I took a week off from work for the Holiday and have not been on B&B much. I've been using my AOS for about a month and it barely looks used at all.
I think I am going to start wieghing it like Jim.

Just checkin in. I took a week off from work for the Holiday and have not been on B&B much. I've been using my AOS for about a month and it barely looks used at all.
I think I am going to start wieghing it like Jim.

Just today, I finished a puck of AOS Sandalwood. Excellent, excellent soap. I think the wooden bowl weighs approximately 55 grams, FYI (at least mine did). So, if you're weighing it in the bowl, you should subtract 55 grams to estimate how much soap is remaining.

After not shaving much over the holidays - due to the arrival of my son - I've finally broken through to the bottom of my puck of Shave Library soap. It's thin all the way around, so I don't expect to get more than a few more proper shave out of it. And then it's on to a new puck, either Mikes Pine and Cedarwood or Bath House Spanish Fig and Nutmeg. This will be the first time since joining the 3017 thread that I've tackled a truly unused puck of soap. It should be good fun!

I'm going to have to deviate from my Arko/Proraso red regimen for at least a day. Tomorrow will be a Palmolive stick as my wife is in the hospital getting ready to deliver our second baby. Once we are back home though its back to the Arko.

Last edited:

Start with the Pre de Provence. It would be really difficult to go from a premium product to one that is just middle of the road but it's much easier to go the other way. I tried to give a puck of PdP the 3017 treatment after finishing off a puck of AOS Sandalwood and I just couldn't do it.

I'm going to have to deviate from my Arko/Proraso red regimen for at least a day. Tomorrow will be a Palmolive stick as my wife is in the hospital getting ready to deliver our second baby. Once we are back home though its back to the Arko.

Congratulations!

Fortunately I was able to swing by the house and have a shave so I kept to my Arko/Proraso regimen. No Palmolive stick for me today.

I officially finished of my puck of Shave Library soap. It took a bit longer than I expected, but it's all gone now! Time for a few days of shaving through some samples before starting in on a new puck.

The Tabac is gone, but the last shave was just as good as the first. I'm going to change brushes a day early and start on the QCS Green Irish Tweed with the Finest Bristle 2 today.

Top Bottom