What's new

What is the best value in strops?

Best value (price/performance) for a production strop:

• Tony Miller 3" Latigo w/ Linen ($85+)

• RupRazor 2.5" Paladin w/ Canvas ($60)

• RupRazor 3" El Toro w/ Canvas ($55)

• SRD 3" Buffalo w/ Webbing ($89)

• Stropping sounds like something I shouldn't be doing.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know Tony Miller's is usually the benchmark strop. Is it also the price to performance leader too? I'm looking to upgrade from my Filly and am looking at these options.

Well, just keep in mind that no matter what width you get on the RupRazor strops, the canvases are only 2 inches. If you're interested in a less expensive TM, the Master Barber is still available, and only a little over $60 with a cotton strop.

I had a 3" up until my dog ate it (no I didn't kill him) but went to a 2" and 2-1/2 because I didn't really like the wider strop. I actually like the 2" more because it seems like a more natural motion to do the X pass.

The TM's are just wonderful. Preferring narrow strops has price advantage also. I have a 1.75, 2, and 2 1/2 strops. The 2 inch is a TM and by far the best.

The TM's are just wonderful. Preferring narrow strops has price advantage also. I have a 1.75, 2, and 2 1/2 strops. The 2 inch is a TM and by far the best.

Also, if you have a magnifying glass, look at the scratch pattern and you'll notice a different pattern in a X pattern honing and stropping. Not really sure what it does but it is distinctive.

The TM Master Barber strop is a bargain with the cotton strop.. take advantage of it now before it goes up in price.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The TM Master Barber strop is a bargain with the cotton strop.. take advantage of it now before it goes up in price.

Thank you. I had actually reduced the price this year by a good amount simply because it did not look like should cost that much despite the material costs. I will be running these again next time I cut horsehide.

Back to the topic though on value. There are a lot of good bargains out there from several makers. Keith's (Hand American) strops look really well made and the labor of bonding the two leathers does not come cheap. Same with the buffing that Ken (Kenrup) does on his Palladin strops, labor intensive and still a very fair price.

While strops may look pricey there is a lot of waste involved. My own shipments of hides can vary widely in quality making one batch of strops cost me far more than the next. My current supply of leather had a really nice draw to it but yielded only half of what I usually get. The result is less product this week and I make less on each. I am sure this is typical of what both Keith and Ken face too.

As a consumer I think the ones I just mentioned represent a good value and both guys offer models I would not mind owning myself.

Tony

I'd be a bit worried poll results may get skewed by there being only 1 strop listed <3" wide, and a number of members who don't like using 3" strops. I have no exp with any of the above strops, so I'm not voting in poll, but from looking at the the ones on it, if I were shopping between them I'd probably grab the 2.5" paladin without the canvas (Vintage cloth strops tend to be in fine condition when the leather is trashed, so I'd buy a really high quality vintage barber strop that's totally wrecked (worthless) and snag the cloth from it). The Latigo would be my second choice, but it's priced just a little above what I'd feel comfortable paying for a strop. Maybe when I'm confident I'll be able to keep mine from getting nicked or creased and use it for several decades... IE a few years from now when I'm settled and not planning to move again until retirement. Of course when I'm getting that strop I'll wait until TM has some horsehide in stock. When it comes to making the best strops I'll trust the early nineteenth century... and they all seem to think that cutting the arse out of your steed was the way to go. :thumbup:

I would also suggest teh Hand American Old Dog bridle leather strop. The feel of that strop is fantastic!

But I do find myself browsing TM's website oogling the Master Barber strops.....I have come to really like square cut strops in 2.5" width, and I like Tony's cloth component. The TM strops I have had are true simple elegance!

What's the best value is the question. But you selectively list the strops.

I've got great strops and they offered great value and superb quality but they are not on your list.

The other thing, to answer your question, you really have to have tried them all and not that many guys buy more than a couple of strops in there lifetime.

So, I don't really understand what the poll is about or what you can take from the results.

Sorry to be negative but it's what I thought when I read your post.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Good point English. To me (and I am frugal and live simply) the best value would technically be the least expensive thing that gets the job done. So, probably Ken's Filly.
It's cheap and will put a shaving edge on your razor every time.......in reality what more do you need?

The rest of them, Kens better models included are more of the BMWs of strops and all fairly close in cost really if you compare apples to apples. Great, top of the line models but in the end all they do is, well, put a shaving edge on your razor.

What is the best value, a BMW or a Scion.......for 99% of what you "need" a car to do the Scion is the best value, the BMW will do it in the best style.

Tony

English & Tony - I can see how my initial question is loaded.

English - I want to get a strop that's relatively easy to get, affordable, and good quality. I know there are other brands out there - Illinois, Hand American, etc. And then there are the crazy Japanese ones too. But these are either hard to get, or don't get much ink in the forums. And I certainly don't know enough about strops to venture on my own yet.

Tony - I'm looking to take the middle path between a BMW and a Scion - a Ford perhaps. Something that's good quality, will last a long time, and one that I can enjoy using and show my friends. So it doesn't have to be 100&#37; utilatarian, nor does it have to be over the top either.

LeftCoast.

I'm sorry to break this news to you.......

But you're just gonna have to buy more than one strop! That's right: SAD :w00t:
You'll need horsehide, latigo, bridle, Russian, cotton, linen, handles, squarecut, 3", 2.5", perhaps some vintage stuff.......

Welcome to the Monkeyhouse!:thumbup:

Well, the answer is Tony's because after you see the craftsmanship, talk to the man, and get to know Tony, your going to buy the Tony.

Not going to say that categorically his strops are better. If you have a chance, it'd be good for you to see the differences for yourself in person.

But, I'd take a Tony over any of those other brands any day. Only brand I would choose over TM is Kanayama or similar. And that sucker is $300. And even then, I'm still trying to source some cordovan so Tony can make me a TM shell cordovan strop. :biggrin:

Top Bottom