What's new

Cinnamon Rolls

i could dig mine up out of the archives, but first, what type of roll are you looking for? the fluffy ones with the white icing, or the more compact ones with the carmelized, sticky tops?

These things are flat out awesome, I never make enough of them, and they are gone ASAP. I highly recomend the use of fresh Siagon cinnamon, and real butter instead of margarine.

Ingredients
1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup real butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
4 cups flour

FILLING
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/3 cup real butter
1/8 tsp Vanilla

ICING
8 tablespoons real butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions
1For the rolls, dissolve the yeast in the warm milk in a large bowl.
2Add sugar, real butter salt, eggs, and flour, mix well.
3Knead the dough into a large ball, using your hands dusted lightly with flour.
4Put in a bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
5Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is approx 21 inches long by 16 inches wide.
6It should be approx 1/4 thick.
7Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
8To make filling, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
9Spread the real butter over the surface of the dough, then sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the surface.
10Working carefully, from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge.
11Cut the dough into 1 3/4 inch slices, and place in a lightly greased baking pan.
12Bake for 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
13While the rolls are baking combine the icing ingredients.
14Beat well with an electric mixer until fluffy.
15When the rolls are done, spread generously with icing.

Last edited:
i could dig mine up out of the archives, but first, what type of roll are you looking for? the fluffy ones with the white icing, or the more compact ones with the carmelized, sticky tops?

I would live the more compact ones with the carmelized, sticky tops. but I am not the OP. I would say you should post both if you have them :)

I 'CHEAT' with cinnamon rolls and haven't received any complaints or leftovers.

I loaf frozen white bread dough, rolled out to a flat rectangle.

Mix 2-3 cups white sugar with ground cinnamon. Spread rolled out dough with a layer of melted butter (real/not margarin). Add a heavy layer of the cinnamon/sugar. (Add raisins if desired, press into dough).

Roll up tightly and then slice about 1" thick. Place on buttered cooky sheet. Sprinkle tops with any left over cinn/sugar mix.

Bake according to directions less about 7-10 minutes. (fry bacon while they bake).

Frost 'lightly' with home made cream cheese frosting hot out of the oven so it's like a glaze and it seeps into the hot buns. Cool about 10-15 minutes more, spread with the rest of the frosting and serve warm.
Sue

well, i've got it, but it is a scanned version of the recipe (jpeg). my wife tossed mine, so i had to, once again, get it from my mother. this time i had her email it to me, so my wife couldn't toss it :001_rolle (she's always throwing my shtuff away)

might take me a bit to transfer it into a typed version, but i'll try to get it on here tomorrow

Whatever T. J. Cinnamon's did back in the 80's. Before they somehow got mixed up with Arby's. If you can find their old recipe or a good clone of it, you will be in heaven.

Tim

These are basically the same recipe my Dad used to make on Sundays when I was somewhat smaller, with a few tweaks.

Cinnamon Rolls:

2 packs of dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup of sugar (preferably turbinado, but normal will do)
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of whole milk
1 egg
4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

melted butter
brown sugar
cinnamon

Frosting:

2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
2 to 4 tablespoons whole milk

Prep:

Add the yeast to the warm water in a mug or small bowl and allow a few minutes to soak.

Scald milk; pour over the shortening in a largish bowl and mix until shortening is melted. Add sugar and salt and cool to tepid. Add the dissolved yeast and beaten egg. Add the flour, one cup at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.

Knead on lightly floured board, until elastic and smooth clean through. Try not to use too much flour on the board or the dough will become tough. Let rise, covered with a dishtowel, for 1 1/2 hours.

Press dough down and roll out into a rectangle. Spread with melted butter. Layer generously with brown sugar, dust with cinnamon as desired. Roll up jellyroll fashion.

Slice roll in half with a very sharp knife. Slice resulting rolls in half, and half again, to get eight rolls. Place four in each of two 8 x 8 pans and allow to rise again, around another hour.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes, until baked to desired doneness. Remove from pans by inverting pan onto rack, then inverting rack on another rack.

Frosting:

Mix sugar, butter, and vanilla, then slowly add milk until frosting is thick and hardly stirrable. Spread onto warm- not hot- cinnamon rolls so the frosting melts down into them. Enjoy.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Awesome recipe, Airplanedoc, but it violates one of my most strongly held principles- never use margarine as long as butter still exists.:tongue_sm

I highly recomend the use of fresh Siagon cinnamon, and real butter instead of margarine

See notations on first line of previous post

I don't even have margarine in my house never have never will

relax it is only about half pound of butter :thumbup:

Top Bottom