What's new

Anyone else do this?

I've heard two distinct opinions on reverting to your old razor when learning a straight. I've heard some say to take the plunge completely and give up your old razor. The thought being that the rough spots would be a reminder of where you need work as you dial in your technique. I've heard others say to take your straight slowly and finish your shaves with your old razor. The thought here being that the learning curve is long and why punish yourself with a scruffy face while you climb it.

Tending toward the latter, I think I've found a method that achieves both objectives, although I suspect I'm not the first to do it. I do my straight shave as best I can, which is actually getting reasonably good these days. Then I lather up one more time and do a single DE ATG pass. The areas that are smooth, I know I've got my technique down pretty well for. The areas that still cut some stubble, I know need some work. But the best part is that I shave off the stubble while I check my results. Best of both worlds. :thumbup:

Makes sense what you've said. I'm fairly new to str8's myself, and I do just that. As my technique with the str8 gets better I'm finding I need the De much less. However every so often I'll just be having a really bad day with the str8 and I'll end up doing a bit more with the DE.

I don't let it worry me, I just keep going along with the str8 knowing one day everything will be just right.

I seem to remember having some bad days when I first started with the DE too, and that worked itself out. :thumbup1: :001_rolle

I know we are all different and to some extent it depends on your will power.

But for my part I don't agree with you.

It's a bit like saying I gave up smoking and now I just have the occasional cigarette.

Sometimes having a fall back stops any progress.

I'm not sure that a straight is the closest shave. It is by far the most comfortable when you know what you are doing. I am convinced that the different angle of cut with a straight feels more comfortable when you rub your hand over your face. On this basis, you may always be able to remove more stubble with a DE but, your face will not feel as comfortable or for as long.

What I am saying, is if you have an uncomfortable shave and no fall back, you will learn a lot more quickly how to get it right the next time. It is a great motivator to progress and to learn a bit more quickly.

Most of us have to look presentable for business and as you start with a straight that can sometimes be an issue so finishing with a DE is the best way to do it.

I'm about a month into shaving with a straight and do pretty much the same thing. I do WTG and XTG passes with the straight. I can't handle ATG yet, so I clean up what's left with my DE.

Mike

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Make sense...

I usually re-check my shave many times a day. If I do a straight shave without a DE, I can feel, 2 hours later where I really missed... As long as I'm presentable, it's all right!

Shaving is an expected part of today's society. If you can't look presentable with just a straight, please use a DE so you keep your job.

:biggrin:

The compromise is the normal transitional route.

I don't see why you need to be a purist. Sure you'll learn more quickly if you use just a straight razor, but learning can take a while and you need to get a decent shave while you're acquiring the skill.

Top Bottom