What's new

Dressing nice for work/riding bike to work.

Hey guys.

I've been thinking of a way that I can ride my bike to work, and not get all sweaty and gross and not ruin my work clothes. I have to wear slacks, dress shirts, and sometimes (maybe once a month) I have to wear a tie and maybe a jacket. I only live about a mile from work and I really feel like it's such a waste to drive my car one mile to work and then one mile home. Then after I get home I just ride my bike anywhere I need to go. I would like to not even use my car for days at a time if possible. The problem is that I don't know exactly how to get me, my Allen Edmonds, my trousers and shirt to work without getting them sweaty or wrinkly. I can pack my shoes, belt, and socks in a stuff sack, and my get some sort of protector sheet with a hangar on it, sort of like what a suit comes with when you purchase one. However, I'm not quite sure how practical that is or how well it would work. So, does anyone here ride a bike to work early in the a.m. and have to dress up for work? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Is it possible to wear gym-like clothes for the bike ride and change as soon as you get there? I cringe to think of the kind of damage/grease marks your slacks would endure if they got caught in the gears.

There was a guy who used to work in our office who rode his bike to work every day. He wore a spandex shirt and bicycle shorts to work and carried his suit and tie in a garment bag slung over his shoulder, then changed when he got here.

Well yes of course that's possible, but the problem is how to keep my trousers and shirts folded and secured properly while I somehow carry them while riding my road bike to work.

Do you have an office? Preferably one with a closet? If so then perhaps you can drive on mondays and bring a week's worth of clothes. Then bike in casual clothes the rest of the week and grab clean, ironed clothes right from your office to change into.

I ride in slacks and a dress shirt almost every day and frequently a vest as well. At least 4 miles each way, more if I am going ot remote locations or just riding.

Use one of the relector velcro strips to keep your pant leg out of the chain ring or roll it up. You are only going one mile so you have the option of taking it pretty easy to avoid sweat build up. Though that is probably a bit more of an issue in hot and humid Houston than it is in Reno you should still be alright. If I am wearing a suit I will carefully fold up the coat and put it in my Chrome bag and ties get the same treatment. I actually keep a spare set of shoes at the office so I have no need to bring them every day.

Fenders are handy for wet days as well.

Google the phrase "garment bag pannier," and you should see a number of options. I commuted with such a beast for about a year, and it worked out well (though cubicle-life didn't agree with me...)

Road bikes and rear racks are not always an easy marriage; however, if you get a seatpost-attach style rack (such as Delta's Post Porter,) you should be able to carry a garment bag-style pannier with minimal clearance issues.

Some bike commuters drive in one day of the week, leaving a full week's worth of work clothes at the office.

Applause for cutting down on your car use. One final thought: I realize it may not be practical, but have you considered just walking to work? If it's really only a mile, a healthy person should be able to make the walk in 15-20 minutes. You may find that the time you save walking vs. biking is eaten up by wardrobe changes....

I think you'll be OK biking for a mile in your dress clothes if you just take it slow and easy.

proxy.php

Kudos to you for considering commuting by bike. I do so in nice weather, typically wearing jeans, a dress shirt, and sometimes a tie and jacket as well. I find that as long as I don't overreach and try to turn it into a cardio workout, I'm not too sweaty when I get to the office. I find that it's a great way to get exercise, really helps me wake up in the morning, and be more focused and alert once I get to the office. I really love it.

Of course, humidity is a problem only during part of the year here. You might be better off stowing your tie and jacket in a nice pannier and putting them on once you get to the office. But you shouldn't need to change into spandex and compromise your sense of style if you're just going a mile.

I recommend the little velcro ankle-strap to keep your pant cuffs out of the gears.

Commuting by bike is growing rapidly in NYC. Here’s a Flickr site dedicated to candid snapshots of NYC bike commuters. Maybe they can give you some ideas?

Here's a dapper gent:

proxy.php

Eagle Creek Pack-it folders? The 15" size would hold your office clothes with room to spare and fits easily into a backpack.

I ride pretty much everywhere but work. Haven't figured out an elegant solution to mad helmet hair, though a former colleague got around it by joining a gym near the office.

Thanks guys. I think driving to work once a week and having some extra clothes in my office sounds like a great idea. I definitely don't want to walk to work. It's only a mile but that one mile walking takes longer than I can afford, and doesn't really offer anything besides maybe sore knees and ankles. I love riding my bike, simply put. Even for short trips a couple of blocks away--I get on my bike. There's just something about it. (p.s. I only ride either my fixed gear or my single speed--both road bikes.)

Eagle Creek Pack-it folders? The 15" size would hold your office clothes with room to spare and fits easily into a backpack.

I ride pretty much everywhere but work. Haven't figured out an elegant solution to mad helmet hair, though a former colleague got around it by joining a gym near the office.

+1 - I travel with one of these. They are awesome. Just neatly fold your items per the instructions on the support insert that comes with it and you are golden. Your clothes will be just as neat as when you folded them. I have packed casual clothes and even slacks and button downs. You can put them on as soon as they come out of the folder.

I do think they are a tad bit pricey but it pays for itself in time after only one or two uses. Ebags sells them, that is where I purchased mine.

Top Bottom