What's new

Guerlain Vetiver

I don't love it. I was looking for a good vetiver about 3 months ago, and had heard some good things about it.
It was fairly synthetic and a little to sterile for my likings.

Go to a store and try it on your skin for a few hours....you may like it.

I, for one, say go with L'Occitane's Vetyver. It's fantastic. Spicy and earthy - can't be overlooked.

Here's a discussion of the lot (4 Voleurs is my favourite scent out of the 15 or so I own...incredible)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124531

Last edited:
I've given it a brief shot. Not my cup of tea. But it's been around since 1960 or so and it places a lot in the top 10 at Basenotes annual Best Fragrance Awards.

It's got a very good rep and is worth a try. Seems very suitable as an everyday frag and can be used for work or play. Not cheap, but not back breakingly pricey either.

I see you're in Dallas/Ft. Worth area. You can probably find in Sephora or Nieman Marcus.

I prefer the 90s formulation which can still be found if you look around. The first 2000s formulation isn't bad, but watered down compared to the 90s version. The latest formula is supposedly even more watered down. Bottom line is that I would try to find a 90s era bottle of the stuff. If you don't end up liking it, it shouldn't be too hard to sell.

Thanks for the input. I will be going to NM this week to try a sample. For the Vetiver crowd, what is your opinion of T. Mugler Cologne? I have read comparisons to Creed's OV. How do these compare to Guerlain's version? Thanks!

I just ordered some after trying a sample - Its great stuff.

BTW - you might compare this to the similar Royal Vetiver which is cheaper for a 8 oz bottle.

Thanks for the input. I will be going to NM this week to try a sample. For the Vetiver crowd, what is your opinion of T. Mugler Cologne? I have read comparisons to Creed's OV. How do these compare to Guerlain's version? Thanks!

YMVV but the constant knock I see mentioned on Mugler Cologne is that wonderful though it may be it has no longevity.

The first Vetiver fragrance I owned was the Floris one. After reading many positive reviws of the Guerlian , I bought a bottle. It is VERY different from Floris and at first I was not taken with it. However, it has grown on me and now it is in my regular rotation.
Like some classical music, this fragrance was not instantly attractive. It took some patience and thought to appreciate its depth.

Pete

I like it. I think it smells refined. My girlfriend on the other hand said she didn't, so I put it back on the shelf. She seems to like jock colognes :\. Go sniff Tom Ford though, I think that one was up the same alley.

I like it. I think it smells refined. My girlfriend on the other hand said she didn't, so I put it back on the shelf. She seems to like jock colognes :\. Go sniff Tom Ford though, I think that one was up the same alley.

What are the "jock colognes?" The "Sport" verrsions of other scents?

I like guerlain vetiver a lot. It is fairly linear after about an hour and can be cloying if over-applied, but its amazing stuff. Very citrusy and kinda sour with some interesting grassy notes underneath.

I don't love it. I was looking for a good vetiver about 3 months ago, and had heard some good things about it.

Go to a store and try it on your skin for a few hours....you may like it.

I, for one, say go with L'Occitane's Vetyver. It's fantastic. Spicy and earthy - can't be overlooked.

Here's a discussion of the lot (4 Voleurs is my favourite scent out of the 15 or so I own...incredible)

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124531

+1

However, based on another thread, I'm going to find another sample and give it another go. The tester I tried in Sephora was almost floral to my wife and me. Not my cup of tea but others have described it differently so maybe the one I tried was a newer formulation or had gone bad?

+1 Not a fan either...I do like Creed Original Vetiver! Hefty price tag though. Been looking to buy on BST for a while and missed the last one I saw for sale a couple months ago.

I think it's a classic, but how it (or any scent) takes to your skin is the wild card.

I heard people going crazy for Tom Ford's Amber Absolute and got a sample...and thought I'd been maced. Couldn't wash it off fast enough.

Top Bottom