What's new

Basic shoe care

I picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds and a pair of cedar shoe trees today. Other than some cream and a horsehair brush, what else do I need? Also, I placed an order for some boat shoes. I know you are not supposed to wear shoes for consecutive days, but do you think the AEs would survive that until I get the boat shoes?

Enlighten me :001_smile

V

VR6ofpain

I picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds and a pair of cedar shoe trees today. Other than some cream and a horsehair brush, what else do I need? Also, I placed an order for some boat shoes. I know you are not supposed to wear shoes for consecutive days, but do you think the AEs would survive that until I get the boat shoes?

Enlighten me :001_smile
You should probably have some shoe polish, though the shoe cream they sell works basically the same. I have some black and brown shoe cream for my black and dark brown shoes, while I use color specific AE polish for my tan and Chili AE's. The polishes I have are AE's Brandy (light tan) and Chili (dark red/brown).

I wouldn't risk the consecutive days with the shoes. You can grown mold in them if the sweat doesn't have time to dry/air out. You must have more shoes to wear while waiting for the boat shoes, right? What kind of AE's did you buy (the ones you picked up today)?

I wouldn't risk the consecutive days with the shoes. You can grown mold in them if the sweat doesn't have time to dry/air out. You must have more shoes to wear while waiting for the boat shoes, right? What kind of AE's did you buy (the ones you picked up today)?

I have other shoes, and I got their Nashua casual moccasins.

Don't use cream on cordovan, it'll fog the leather. Use wax instead.

You can wear the shows the first few days on consecutive days, and in fact the extra moisture helps them break in, but after that they'll need a few days to dry out and after that initial break-in you shouldn't wear them on consecutive days unless you work in an environment where you can take them off a few hours a day.

V

VR6ofpain

I like the two tone. Looks very similar to the Aspen slippers my wife got me for Christmas. They are also black and brown.

I apply polish sparingly in a small circular motion with my index finger wrapped in a soft cotton cloth and moistened with plenty of water. Let dry for 10 minutes, buff with horsehair brush, and repeat the process about 5 more times before the first wearing. This will give your shoes a mirror like shine and practically waterproof them for months.

Oh, and always store your shoes in a dust bag or in the original box. Dust destroys shoes.

Last edited:
+1 on the cloth bags to protect the shoes from dust but still let them breath. Also, depending on where you live, those rubber overshoes are great to protect your shoes from snow/salt when walking to work.

I used Meltonian Leather Lotion for the first time the other day and it did a good job. I believe its suppose to take off old polish since my rag was really black after using it.

Top Bottom