What's new

What do you think?

This is a question for users of the Feather AC straight razor:

Since I've started using this razor my shaves have been getting better and better as technique improves, and fears subside. Today's shave was the best yet, and I'm sure improvements are to follow. :thumbup1:

My question involves the different types of blades available for the Feather. The only ones I've used so far have been the Pro-Guard. While the nicks and weepers are becoming a thing of the past, I'm still prone to some razor burn when the shave is done. I have the other blades, the regular Pro, and the Super Pro. I'm just wondering if the Pro-Guard blades with the attached wires may be a contributing factor to the razor burn, and if moving over to either of the other two might help reduce the burn? :bayrum2:

I'm aware that pressure and angle are a big cause of razor burn, but I can't help but wonder if the raised wire guards on the Pro-Guard blade's might contribute to the burn. :confused1

Have any of our members who now use, or have used, the Feather AC noticed any difference in the 3 blades in regards to razor burn?

Regards,

Paul :w00t:

I have the least experience with the Feather Pro-Guard blades so I do not have a good baseline to reference. That said:
  • In practice I didn't see much difference in getting weepers or razor burn from the Pro-Guard versus the normal Pro. So based on limited use, I would rate the blades the same.
  • But in theory I do believe the Pro-Guards could possibly be detrimental to getting a close shave. For the reason you mention. Surely the wire wrap keeps the blade directly off the skin at the point where the wire meets the leading edge of the blade. Which is good, in that it helps prevents the blade from digging deeper into one's face due to improper technique. But it is bad in the sense that there may be uneven pressure along the edge, with more pressure in the middle of the gap. However, I think this pressure difference should be very little as the blade is fairly stiff by itself and when inserted into the blade holder it becomes very stiff with almost no flex. But it is also hard to really imagine what happens as the blade catches individual whiskers, causing it to flex ever so slightly while one is shaving. That the wire wrap in combination with this very slight blade flexing might distribute the pressure unevenly causing more razor burn problems. But that is just conjecture, not something I really believe to be true.

I have the least experience with the Feather Pro-Guard blades so I do not have a good baseline to reference. That said:
  • In practice I didn't see much difference in getting weepers or razor burn from the Pro-Guard versus the normal Pro. So based on limited use, I would rate the blades the same.
  • But in theory I do believe the Pro-Guards could possibly be detrimental to getting a close shave. For the reason you mention. Surely the wire wrap keeps the blade directly off the skin at the point where the wire meets the leading edge of the blade. Which is good, in that it helps prevents the blade from digging deeper into one's face due to improper technique. But it is bad in the sense that there may be uneven pressure along the edge, with more pressure in the middle of the gap. However, I think this pressure difference should be very little as the blade is fairly stiff by itself and when inserted into the blade holder it becomes very stiff with almost no flex. But it is also hard to really imagine what happens as the blade catches individual whiskers, causing it to flex ever so slightly while one is shaving. That the wire wrap in combination with this very slight blade flexing might distribute the pressure unevenly causing more razor burn problems. But that is just conjecture, not something I really believe to be true.

That's some of the same thoughts I've had. So with that I'm going to take a day off, ditch the Pro-Guard blade, and shave with a regular pro blade on Friday. I'll see if its any better, and post my results.

Top Bottom