What's new

Razor Replating

I was just investigating this myself, there are a few but it's really probably not worth it unless its sentimental... if you're patient enough you could find the razor you have in great shape for the same price you'd pay to restore that one.

Just a heads up. Good Luck

Not so fast, there are some really nice old collectible razors out there which have nothing wrong mechanically or maybe a few scratches here and there that can be made to look like a million bucks with a replate job. There is nothing mysterious about replating a razor, I have replated nickel and gold razors of all types and some of my very favorite shavers are replates. They come out really nice and shiny and they are good to go for a long time and pleasant to look at and to shave with. The cost is minimal for something that you are going to use every day or almost every day for perhaps years and it's a great way to pick up a deal on a nice model and then restore it to something really snappy for a few bucks. If you like it then it's worth it is the way I look at it, my costs for the replating I have had done at a professional facility are about 20 to 25 dollars which is nothing if you keep your razor for another 5 years and use it often. There are a couple of B&B guys that do the plating or you can find a place near you with a little research, try it and you might like it. bc

I was just thinking about this to. What is the cost? I was looking at some that are cool, t they all needed plating...is it a $20 job or a $75 job.

I noted a couple of razors on the Trading Post that had been replated that were saled priced at reasonable prices...that led me to believe that the job is somewhat reasonable...

I was just investigating this myself, there are a few but it's really probably not worth it unless its sentimental... if you're patient enough you could find the razor you have in great shape for the same price you'd pay to restore that one.

Just a heads up. Good Luck

In most cases, I would agree with you, but the razor I want to have replated is a NEW De Luxe which is not a very easy one to get ahold of and, in good condition, commands a pretty good price. Fortunately, I got mine on the cheap, so investing a little in a good plate job would undoubtedly be cheaper than hunting down a nicer one.

Are there any plating houses that anyone recommends? I've come across a few razors that I've passed over because of bad plating. If plating can be done well and reasonably, I'll start picking those up.

I've actually been thinking of dong this to a couple of mine too. I have a few NEW's and I'm thinking of getting one nicely plated to put on top of one of Bob's Bull Mastiff handles or something cool like that. I'd like to try looking for a place locally, but I really don't know where to start? I'm assuming that a place that does replating doesn't just do that only, or does it? Basically, what kind of business am I looking for when I open the phone book or start googling?

If I remember correctly buddydog can re-plate in Gold, Nickel, and Silver. You may also want to check with local jewelers they may be able to plate your old razor.

In the interest of all the interest shown in replating allow me to offer a possibility. I have had several razors in nickel and gold replated at Reliable Electroplating in Chartley, Mass 508 222 0620 at 304 W Main St. They do an excellent job, they mail order, and they have experience in replating the razors. They do antique restorations on jewelry and firearms so not just a chrome bumper place. I have spent around 20 for the nickel and around 25 for the gold and they came out great. I have replated aristocrats and NEWs and superspeeds.
They do the prep but if you have something with a severe scratching problem you might want to sand out the scratches yourself to please your own requirements, the smoother the surface, the nicer the shine. If it's just a little worn off in places, they will prep it and plate over it whatever is necessary. If it's gold you can ask and they will lacquer over the gold to protect the finish, a good idea or you can do the lacquer yourself, good luck, bc

Last edited:
Top Bottom