What's new

Open comb vs. safety bar?

I see the difference between the two different configurations, but why are they? When would somebody use one version over the other?
:blink:

This is very much a YMMV, but perhaps a little background will help. In general, open combs are said to be designed for longer beards (e.g. when you're not shaving every day) while closed combs are said to be for shorter beards. Most will also say that closed combs provide a milder shave. These are generalities and not absolutes. Many folks will have different opinions on this.

In my experience, I shave every day and when I use a DE, I prefer a closed comb. I find open combs scrapier feeling, and I actually find I get a closer shave with the closed combs I have used. That said, I know there are a number of folks on this forum who also shave every day, but they prefer an open comb.

If you're new to DEs, I would suggest starting with a closed comb, but give an open comb a try somewhere down the line. You might like it.

Actually open combs are not designed for longer beards.

The open comb design was Gillette's original design and was the only type available until the late 1930's.

The design was changed to the safety bar for production cost reasons ....not because people had shorter beards :wink2:

The open comb is simply the older desing and some people prefer the shave that they give. Me included.
Wp

I've had a similar question and figured it was buried in the B&B archives somewhere. The open comb for a man with some growth was along the lines of what I figured.

Edit: Until I read the thread above that was posted while I typed.

Get both....

Edwin Jagger DE89L Closed Comb :001_wub:
Mühle R41 Open Comb :001_wub:

Don't worry about being unfaithful

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Actually open combs are not designed for longer beards.

The open comb design was Gillette's original design and was the only type available until the late 1930's.

The design was changed to the safety bar for production cost reasons ....not because people had shorter beards :wink2:

The open comb is simply the older desing and some people prefer the shave that they give. Me included.
Wp

+1

I use an Open Comb on a regular basis, I shave everyday without any problems.

Why Open Comb? The shave is better, for me, than any other DE I tried (and I tried quite a lot).

What I like about the open comb is if your angle is off, you will get teeth marks in the lather. The blade is the one picking up the lather. The close comb will pick-up the lather(not the blade) so you won't see if the angle is off.

I have both myself. When I use my DE, I'll use the open comb if I have a 3 day or more growth of beard, and then I only use it for the first WTG pass. I only do a 2 pass shave so I'll use the safety bar for the 2nd ATG pass, and any water clean-up. I've been doing this for quite awhile and it works for me, YMMV. :thumbup1:

Just recently made the switch to open comb and I will never go back. This may be because I have a very, very thick beard though. Open combs may not work for all, but they are worth trying. Like I said, I am NEVER going back.

Any recommendations for an open comb other than the Mühle? I've been using a Fatboy, Futur and an 89L, but have been thinking about adding an open comb to the collection.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Any recommendations for an open comb other than the Mühle? I've been using a Fatboy, Futur and an 89L, but have been thinking about adding an open comb to the collection.

Merkur 11c, Gillette NEW, Gillette old type

As someone far more knowledgeable than I says:

"It's tough to beat a NEW."

I'd like to add:

The OLD ain't bad either.

+1; many people say that open combs are more aggressive, but I found the Merkur 11c (open comb) to be milder than the Merkur 34c (safety bar). Not too mild, but noticeably less aggressive.

Good call. I don't know if open combs are necessarily more aggressive either. I cut myself up far less when I shave with an open comb, but still get a far closer shave. When I use my Gillette slim on #9, I often get 10-20 weepers on my neck. It really is a YMMV issue.......

I shave with both open comb & close.

But if I have to choose, I call open.

My goto razor is the Gillette NEW
A perfect razor for my face.

The NEW is fairly common so it's not that much to loose if you want to try it.
The NEW comes in short & long teeth, still haven't found out which one is best, they are very similar.

The OLD is also a great shaver, but takes a little longer to master IMO.

Even though they aren't made for longer beards, the NEW works even better with a few days growth compared to a Superspeed or a Merkur HD.

Goodfella. Once you get the hang of it, it will shave as close as any razor on the market yet it's gentler than a Slim Adjustable on 1.

Top Bottom