What's new

Dutch Ovens

This weekend I pulled out my Lodge 12" dutch oven and gave it an inspection. It has been packed away for about seven years. Tonight I am going to reseason it and cook some peach cobbler in it this weekend. I'll post pics. Anyone else use dutch ovens?

DL

I was an Eagle Scout...

Sorry to correct you, King G,
You ARE an Eagle Scout.
Once an Eagle always an Eagle. I WAS a Life Scout.

I love my Dutch Oven. Here's how I use it with the BGE. Tonight I may be able to put up photos of the cross rib roast I used it for yesterday.

Roger

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I used mine when my son went through the Boy Scouts (He is an Eagle as well), but I did track down a great recipe site here.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use mine as often as I can. It makes the best roasts!

I bought one as where I was living at the time didn't have an oven, I only had a stovetop... I baked cookies/cakes and that Dutch oven on the stovetop with good results!

I think those rocks and already told SWMBO that we will never get rid of it... She says it's too heavy for her to run around with it anyways so I'm safe!!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
you know I have been thinking of getting one for a long time.... do yall use it over a fire or actually in the oven?

I used mine on a propane stovetop, halogen stovetop, regular electric stovetop and in the oven.

The only recommendation is to make sure you don't have any sudden temperature changes (Very hot pot and pour cold water in...).

I have one and have used it once or twice, but not as often as I'd like. I need to break mine out and make a nice beef stew or something.

You ARE an Eagle Scout.
Once an Eagle always an Eagle.

+1

I have a dutch oven sitting around somewhere, I will have to get it out and fix something. Best part is I have been useing the fireplace, a bit latley since it has been chilly. So I can kill 2 birds with one stone.

I use mine as often as I can, both on the stove top and in the oven. I have never used mine on coals, or in a fire.

I've got mine in the oven right now seasoning. I talked to a saddlemaker friend of mine today and he gave me a really easy recipe on peach cobbler. On Saturday I will build a fire outside, and try my hand at this.

DL

Top Bottom