What's new

What's the best way to clean your blade?

As above. What do you guys do to keep your razors nice and shiny? I just run mine under hot water but it doesn't get rid of the soap scum. I'm a bit scared to wipe the scum off with a towel incase I dull the edge. Also I don't want to wear off the gold wash but I would like to keep them looking like new for showing them to friends I'd like to convert. I'm always impressed with the pictures posted on here so please give me some pointers for keeping my razors looking as good as yours. Thanks in advance.

As long as your not cutting any of the cotton rings, you won't hurt your blade. I wipe with towel and then strop on cotton.

You're correct to worry about dulling the edge, but that should not keep you from wiping -- because you've got to do some wiping to take the nasty, sticky, used shaving cream and whisker combo off the metal, and wiping is the only way to do it that I know. By the way, if you don't wipe that crud off your razor, you are going to end up doing much more harm to your blade than any amount of wiping is going to inflict.

One way to go is to pinch the blade on both sides and wipe with toilet paper in a direction that is parallel with the edge. I find that by applying even pressure to both sides of the blade, I'm not going to deform or roll the edge one way or the other. And I always strop for a while after wiping so that I'm putting the razor back just as sharp as I found it.

Good luck!

You're correct to worry about dulling the edge, but that should not keep you from wiping -- because you've got to do some wiping to take the nasty, sticky, used shaving cream and whisker combo off the metal, and wiping is the only way to do it that I know. By the way, if you don't wipe that crud off your razor, you are going to end up doing much more harm to your blade than any amount of wiping is going to inflict.

One way to go is to pinch the blade on both sides and wipe with toilet paper in a direction that is parallel with the edge. I find that by applying even pressure to both sides of the blade, I'm not going to deform or roll the edge one way or the other. And I always strop for a while after wiping so that I'm putting the razor back just as sharp as I found it.

Good luck!

I use that wiping method with a cotton towel to get most of it off and then I strop on linen and then on leather.

I think I read somewhere on here, that if your lather doesn't wash off with just running water, then it's too dry to really be effective.

So I tend to make my lather rather wet in comparison to how I used to make it, washes straight off with running water, then it's just a quick wipe along the blade (not necessarily on the edge itself) with tissue paper (toilet paper works just as well) and giving it a quick stropping before putting away

dunno if that makes any difference, but tis what I do, and it seems to work well enough.

I rinse under the tap, I then strop on the palm of my hand under running water (because theres normally a little lather right on the edge that wont rinse off)

I then wipe carefully on the handtowel in the bathroom, and strop it on the handtowel a couple of times

Spray both sides of the blade with "Clean Shower" or the like. Carefully wipe/scrub between pinched thumb and index finger, then rinse. Strop on linen then leather and then apply light coat of "Dry Coat" rust preventative. Leave open on counter to air dry. I live alone so I have no worries about leaving open razor on counter.

My technique is similar to mdunn's: under warm tap water I pinch the edge between my thumb and forefinger and wipe the remaining lather off the blade by moving my fingers from heel to tip. As part of this motion I also move the razor's edge from my fingers' pads to the tips (think of a stropping motion where the edge is drawn "away" from what it contacts). It's difficult to explain, but easy to do. Once having done that in a single motion I turn the faucet to hot and rinse the blade again to get it as warm as possible before wiping it on a cotton towel and then put it away for next time. I've never had any problems with rust or crud accumulation using this process.

good luck, good shaving

:thumbup:

I'll do this and then strop it on my palm covered with a towel if there's still scum close the edge that stropping on a cotton strop won't remove.

I use the bathroom towel very gently, simply dabbing the blade on either side. But I REALLY like using a microfiber cloth, like the ones you get given to clean glasses with, after Ive done the light drying.

Top Bottom