What's new

Newb check in

My journey to wet shaving, started back around Thanksgiving when I stumbled into a box of old family knickknacks I brought back from St. Louis after I had help move my mom from the family home of 55 years. While looking through the box I came across a very tarnished , black mug. I called mom and she told me that this mug was my grandfathers shave mug. Well I set about polishing it up, and found some markings and started Goggling about this mug. Of course any Google with the word "shave" will bring up links to B&B among others. I now know this mug dates to around 1930, it is a triple plated silver over brass. As one can see the silver is well worn around the rim from years of lathering up. This mug is also monogrammed with JAR, which is my Grandfathers initials. After reading through the forms, I went on over to my local Walgreen's, and picked up a cheap brush, and a puck of VDH Delux, and some Clubman. I'll never look back. Currently I'm looking for a vintage DE to compliment this mug in the mornings, and plan to upgrade the brush. Until then I'll use up the Trac ii blades I have, and have fun and enjoy lathering up in the mornings. I'm sure gramps would be smiling to know his mug has a second life.

What a good looking mug. I hope one day my daughter's children will discover my old shaving equipment and take up the fun of wet shaving. Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the site. Very good looking heirloom. Good luck on finding a classic razor. Keep us posted on your progress.

Top Bottom