What's new

Goodbye Dubl Duck

Alot of people have been asking about guidance concerning straights around here in terms of what to buy etc. I was taught a lesson this weekend that makes me think you should always generally not spend a great deal on a hard to replace vintage straight, at least on one that you intend to use for shaving.

Long story short I bought a nice Dubl Duck a few weeks ago. I have only ever bought vintage razors and I wanted one for a long time. I had searched Ebay for a long time until I found 'the one'. Anyhoo this weekend I was moving it to another shelf and it slipped out of my hand and fell on the parquet floor. I'm not a clumsy person particularly, I don't think I've ever dropped any of my DE's. But in any case it fell on the floor and even though the blade was closed in the scales the blade shattered in two halves. So its completely wasted. I still can't quite believe the metal was so brittle.

All in all pretty awful weekend, razor went from the 1940s just fine till it met me. One Dubl Duck gone, a big loss. Best shaves I ever had too while they lasted. Don't really think there was anything I could have done to prevent the accident other than not using the razor of course. But just a heads up to be aware that this might happen to your vintage razor if you shave with.

:sad: I'm very sorry! What a dreadful loss.

Just a thought: could it be possible for the blade to be reforged into a single piece? Or would that just result in a piece that's intact for show and not for shaving?

That is so upsetting never mind the expense. I'd be angry with myself for a couple of days if it had been mine.

Still look on the bright side, I can sell you a NOS Puma and you then will really have the very best.

I love my Puma and your loss is a reminder to me to be more careful when handling it. My gut feeling is that it is a similar brittle metal. I know it is silver steel which tends to be more brittle than just plain carbon steel.

The silver steel retains a fantastic edge for a longer period of time and I think this is because the steel is a little harder and more brittle as a result.

The old Thiers Issard are made from a good Sheffield silver steel which I think is an equivalent and their new blades are made from an even harder silver steel which seems to be being enjoyed by those who have purchased them.

Another bade which is a great silver steel is the Boker "Piccadilly". I had one but sold it. But it has the same qualities that I think you have been enjoying with your DDD. (Deceased Double Duck).

Don't really think there was anything I could have done to prevent the accident ...

You could have been more careful with it - that often works. Next time, of course, you will know this, as hard-earned lessons of this sort tend to stick with you.

:mad2: Real sorry to hear about this. It could always be worse. (Blade in foot!)

Hey, just another excuse to get another! Better luck with the next one. Of course there will be a next one. :thumbup1:

:ohmy:

I have a Wonderedge and would feel terrible if if that had happened. Which blade was it?

You better not!!!!!

"No more razors for you!!!"

:ohmy: I really cannot believe the razor snapped in two. I've never heard that story. How far was the drop?

You better not!!!!!

"No more razors for you!!!"

:ohmy: I really cannot believe the razor snapped in two. I've never heard that story. How far was the drop?

It was a Dubl Duck GE 5/8th. I was surprised that it just split as well, as I said the blade was actually closed in the scales. I'd guess it probably fell about 5 or 6 feet ( I keep my razors in the top shelf of a cupboard so as to keep them out of harms way). It hit the floor and bounced, I guess maybe the blade popped open as it bounced. In any case very strange made the worse for the fact that I only had it for a few weeks.

No matter how careful you are mishaps do happen and I've had enough of them and I'm really careful. I've never lost a razor but I have had some damaged.

Having said that I don't think I would be trading in all my razors to get a bunch of Gold Dollars thinking if ones is lost no big deal. Like with anything else in life accidents do happen and its just one of those things.

Same kinda thing happened to me recently.Luckily I broke the scales and not the blade.Sorry to hear about your loss.

Gravity can be a real b**ch sometimes.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. Might be worth at least hanging onto the scales. Who knows, maybe you'll stumble across a similar DD that's being sold on the cheap because it's scales are shot... Or at the very least, recoup a few bucks by putting the them up in the B&B Mall, over at SRP, or on eBay. Lots of folks do/or are looking for restorations on DDs so I'm sure parts are in a bit of demand too.

Might be worth at least hanging onto the scales. Who knows, maybe you'll stumble across a similar DD that's being sold on the cheap because it's scales are shot...

Yes I'm keeping the scales and will await finding a replacement blade on the cheap. I'm not sure if there is any point keeping the broken blade. I suppose not as the blade is split in two. I guess I wrap it up and throw it away.

I just listed in the WTB section a Dubl Duck Goldedge for trade

Thanks unfortunately I only have/ had two razors, of which the broken Dubl Duck was one. So I have no trades. As it turns out I was able to get a great deal on a Le Grelot which only needs some polish and honing yesterday, so hopefully there will be something good come of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom