What's new

Adding Glycerin to Pinaud Bay Rum

I noticed Pinaud's Bay Rum has no moisturizing ingredient whatsoever. How much glycerin should I add to make it have the same properties as their clubman or generic old spice?

does clubman have glycerin in it? In any event, I don't believe there's any definite answer... 1 tsp seems to be a fairly standard response though.

I would agree, and say no more than 5 mLs. But, I would say add only 1/2 tsp to start, and see how it goes. If it still isn't where you want it without being a little sticky, I would add the other 1/2 tsp. And remember with glycerin, that it can be a little sticky. If you add too much, you may ruin your Bay Rum.

I have added glycerine to between 1% and 3% of volume of the AS, it really is personal preference. A child medicine dosing syringe available at any pharmacy makes exact measurements quite simple. Sometimes I even change the amount based on the season (drier winters = more glycerine). I would start with a couple ml, try it and see. If it leaves you dry, add another ml. Stop as soon as you are satisfied, as it can quickly become tacky if there is too much in it. I end up doing this to all my Pinaud aftershaves, as I find them drying.

Be careful with adding stuff to your stuff. Oftentimes you'll get chemical reactions (noticed by a change in color, cloudiness, scent, &c). I don't think it's dangerous (you put stuff on your face right after another all the time) but it'll ruin your product. I've seen it while adding glycerin to tabac cologne and some others.

I add a squirt or two to all of my aftershaves. It seems to help a lot with the non-glycerin bearing AS. That Pinaud Bay Rum is just plain painful and drying without it.
I thought about mixing equal parts Pinaud BR and Master BR in a small bottle, just to see if it improves the smell of the Pinaud BR. It's a bit heavy on the cinnamon. Makes me smell like a pack of Big Red gum.

Try mixing a little outside of the bottle in case you don't like it, that way you still have your splash undiluted. A little glycerine goes a long way.

Top Bottom