What's new

Save Files Made in Linux to Windows?

Evening gents. Last week I finally got around to downloading and installing LInuxmint 8 to a usb pen drive. The install seems to have gone perfectly and I REALLY like Linuxmint. Many things just seem to work out of the box including grabbing up the laptop's wireless connection. I installed the iso to a 2gb usb drive with the usb installer utility that you download from the same site. I quickly realised that if you install anything else on the drive you have used up most of the usable space left over after the install. I had been wanting to try RubyRipper for CD audio extraction since it is allegedly the closest thing to EAC for Linux. It was fairly easy once I got the command line syntax correct. It showed up in the menu just fine and I quickly went about setting up options. I decided to rip a CD just to try it and it got to the second to last track and stopped cold. What the heck? Then I noticed the warning dialogue that said the drive(usb)was nearly out of space so it quit. What to do? I then wondered if it would be possible to save it to a folder in Windows. So I went into the base directory of Windows C drive and created a folder and named it rubyripper. Then I booted back into the usb drive with LM8 on it and did the rip again directing the rip to be placed in the folder on the C drive. I navigated to it via the computer icon in LM8 and copied the location to clipboard (or whatever it is called in Linux when you right click and copy) and pasted that location in the "base directory" box under the "other" tab in RubyRipper's preferences. After the rip I could navigate there in LM8 and see and play the files. It had made a folder named "wav" and saved it there rather than my rubyripper folder. However, once I booted back to windows both the folders I made were gone and after rebooting to LM8 I could no longer find them either. Okay, it is obvious my little scheme did not work. What did I do and how to not repeat it? Is saving directly to a Windows partition from Linux possible? Does it take some arcane command line string to make it happen? I was simply looking for a way to save a rather large CD file since the usb space won't allow it. Thanks for any help.

Regards, Todd

Yes, you can write to Windows partition via Linux as you saw the new "wav" folder. Most of the time, the "wav" folder is a temporary storage used by rippers that rip to wave then convert to something else. I don't know what format you are indeed ripping to but, try it again, rip, see if the false you want are indeed in the folder, then move said files somewhere else on the windows partition (do this before you close rubyripper). That may help. If not, I don't know. I am running Gentoo off the HD.

Thank you for the response. I thought this was possible but I am even newer to Linux than I am at audio CD ripping. I have been using EAC in Windows and it is incredibly versatile. That same versatility made it a complete nightmare for me to set up initially. If not for the fantastic contributions by the posters over at Hydrogenaudio.org I would have been stopped cold. I had (have?:001_tongu) no real clue about audio ripping. It took me a lot of web time to get things sorted out. I managed to get some copy and paste done for ripping and naming parameters and set up EAC options from the great tutorials at Hydrogenaudio. Rubyripper's set up is MUCH simpler than EAC. The GUI interface has only a few tabs to go through and I was able to copy a string of commands from Hydrogenaudio into the terminal that downloaded and installed the dependencies recommended for Rubyripper. This included discid, flac, mp3, and ogg compressors. I did have trouble getting getting the command syntax correct for installing Rubyripper but that is my incompetence with the command structure of Linux showing. Heck, I don't know command line syntax for Windoze, let alone Linux. Rubyripper also had a small quirk that I had to search the web for to remedy. It picked up my dvd write drive but not my preferred dvd reader drive for the rips. There is a box to set the preference but the naming scheme was completely arcane to me. And there was no drop down option for the other drive. I had to find a sugggestion via searching Ubuntu forums. Changing the drive preference to something called sco2(that may not be accurate I will have to check) solved it but how would a person ever guess that on their own? So yeah, ripping with Linux is still somewhat green compared to Windows. I don't know how Rubyripper's underlying cdparanoia compares to EAC's ripping engine but it seems to have a good reputation. From what I gather, most users turn off most parameters in cdparanoia and let Rubyripper use some sort of two pass ripping scheme for a more accurate rip. At least I think that is correct.

I have the most trouble with these types of programs when encountering their command line settings. "Switches", "arguments", or "paramters" or whatever they are referred to, they are very easy to get wrong and then the whole rip, or more usually the compression scheme, falls apart. All this ", % letters with either an upper or lower case setting, it all gets confusing and getting the naming scheme right is dodgy for me. Thank god for cut and paste. Okay, sorry to babble on. Thank you for the suggestion.

Regards, Todd

One thing to try, just to eliminate a variable: Try copying a text file or document to your Windows partition from Mint, and see if the problem lies with mint's interaction with your Windows partition, or from RubyRipper...

Thank you Jordan. That is a good idea. Besides, it let me bump this thread without ahem..appearing to.

Regards, Todd

I suggest you PM RichGem or Lynchmeister -- two of our resident Linux experts. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Rubyripper is excellent, though is not EAC by a long shot (so I've heard. I haven't used windows on my home pc in ages). Provided that you have ntfs support installed on your linux drive, and can mount partitions/hard drives I don't see what the issue is. Did you reboot cleanly afterwards?

Top Bottom