What's new

Wanna try a straight but..

I don't wanna dump a lot of money the first time around. I was considering trying a disposable straight. If I like it then I might consider purchasing a real straight razor. Looking for recommendations for disposable straights. Thanks fellas.

Last edited:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Apparently, Feather has a decent product.

Shaving with a straight doesn't require that much money up front compared to a DE. You could find a good deal on BST and you will only need a strop afterwards!

Can i throw in my obligitory recommendation for the Ruprazor starter kit. The filly strop is well regarded for newbies and the gold dollar hollow ground 6/8" gives a good shave.

I'm using the Feather AC, and I love it. As of right now I have no plans on getting into the regular straights. Check them out here. www.classic shaving.com

Also the Parker SRW is a pretty substantial straight that uses half a DE blade.
wwwparkerrazor.com

Can i throw in my obligitory recommendation for the Ruprazor starter kit. The filly strop is well regarded for newbies and the gold dollar hollow ground 6/8" gives a good shave.

+1 Just picked up the starter kit and had my first shave today. A great, economical way to start out.

+1 on the starter kit. However, I have a feather and still use it frequently in a rotation that includes a few dozen other razors.

I don't wanna dump a lot of money the first time around. I was considering trying a disposable straight. If I like it then I might consider purchasing a real straight razor. Looking for recommendations for disposable straights. Thanks fellas.

I just bought a Dovo Shavette for $20 shipped off the B/S/T on Sunday, so I am in the same boat as you.

For $20 I thought it would be fun to play around with. I enjoy my DE collection too much to entertain any thoughts of actually using a real straight, but @ $20.00, I thought it would be fun to mess around with (in the same way that I mess around with Gem SE razors, and my Schick Injector). :thumbup1:

Not that anything's wrong with the Gold Dollar/Double Arrow once tuned, but there's plenty of ready-to-shave vintage str8s u can get f/ <$40, and you can still get a 'practice; strop super cheap, too. While I enjoy the Feather, it doesn't shave like a real one.

i currently shave with a straight razor and recently bought the dovo featherett which used replaceable blades...

with the black adapters and long blade it is one amazingly close shave! it has many resemblances to straight razor shaving.

it was a GREAT buy! buy the best blades you can for it....dont skimp! feathers are also amazing!

My two cents would be that if you want to try a straight get a real one and not some pretend one. You may as well use a DE if you use a disposable one. In the end there is going to be some kind of outlay for you to try a straight, you are going to need a razor and strop. FWIW I recommend buying either the Ruprazor combo or you could buy just the Filly Strop and a vintage straight off Ebay that you get honed up.

The latter is what I did, if you dont mind about brand names you can get a perfectly good vintage straight on Ebay for less than $40, but you will need to send it out for honing. In any case I was able to get my first setup for around $70 which included the purchase of a Filly strop, a vintage razor and sending it out to a honemeister.

+1 for ruprazor... 4 shaves in and enjoying the challenge ... price of his kit is so low its rediciuls to start with actual straight and strop.

Top Bottom