What's new

My Worst Shave Ever!

This morning I tried a Gem Micromatic with a Brand new Blue Star Blue blade. It was the worst shave ever. Not only does it look like a paint scraper it shaves like one too. I was hoping to get a better shave but I think I will be sticking with my Double Edge safety razor's for a while. Although I have been wanting to try out an injector for some time. Maybe after my wounds heal I will look around for one. :001_smile

S/E razors will give you a great shave if you maintain the correct angle and most importantly,stretch your skin to create a flatter surface.:wink2: Some decent stainless blades will also make a huge difference.:001_smile

Don't give up!
My first micromatic shave was terrible too. I came here, got advice, and the second go-round earned that old open comb a place in my (still unstarted) rotation.

I assume you used and open comb Micromatic, which is a notoriously bad shaver. I used mine once and and learned what pain really was.

If it's a Clog Pruf or a bullet tip with a solid guard bar---well then I don't know what to say.

I disagree that the open comb micromatic is a bad shaver, it's not, it's just very agressive for a beginner.

I haven't used the blades you've mentioned, only the Ted pella stainless steel blades, which rock, so I don't know if your blades are at fault.

Like the other guys said, the GEMS use a totally different technique then a DE razor. If you try to use a GEM like you would use a Gillette then you're going to end up bloody and sore for a day or two. Use zero pressure, to insure I do this I use two fingers to hold the razor near the top where the head is, the other fingers just guide the razor and hover around the handle.

I disagree that the open comb micromatic is a bad shaver, it's not, it's just very agressive for a beginner.

I agree with you. The Open Comb Micromatic is a great razor, just super aggressive, and as such needs to be handled with great care: no speed shaving, a gentle touch, and be careful around any bumps/ pimples as the non-flexible blade will mow anything down that is in it's path.

My first shave with a Gem was actually with a OC Micromatic that I got for $3 at an antique store. It gave me a great shave, but I also knew how much potential it had for inflicting damage, and used it accordingly.

Good lather is important for any shaving, but especially important with a SE razor.

Some of my worst cuts happened when my lather was not up to par; the SE Gem grabbed my skin, and shredded it. One time I got a 1" long slash to my face above my ear that took a full two weeks to heal, complete with a scab...it was because my lather that day was very poor, and too dry. :scared:

Top Bottom