What's new

A cognac question.

During Tailor Restaurant's brief run here in NY, bar manager Eben Freeman developed a drink called the Nutty Monk, essentially a cognac infused with walnuts. I'm not a huge cognac drinker, but the buttery nutty smoothness of the drink trumped the other offerings on their winter menu and was perfect for the season, even on the rocks.

Now that Tailor's gone, I realize I have no choice but to infuse my own. Before I start, I thought I'd ask the more well-versed cognac drinkers/amateur mixologists here for some advice.

Recommendations for a good 'infusing' cognac? Clearly, you wouldn't want to use an XO, but since the final drink is still cognac over ice, it shouldn't be rotgut either.

Thoughts on nut/spirit ratio? I thought I'd do three mason jars of varying proportions, but ballpark suggestions would be appreciated. I've looked on bartending blogs, but mum's the word on walnuts in brandy.

Thanks.

I imagine it would be the same as any other infusion, I'd start with a cheaper cognac or brandy to experiment with, then just take some crushed walnuts, fresh as possible as walnuts have the capacity to get rancid and bitter, seemingly quicker than other nuts.

Stick it in a cool dark place and every day give it a shake, repeat this for a month or two.

http://www.infusionsofgrandeur.net Has done almond vodka, I imagine walnut cognac would be a similar process.

During Tailor Restaurant's brief run here in NY, bar manager Eben Freeman developed a drink called the Nutty Monk, essentially a cognac infused with walnuts. I'm not a huge cognac drinker, but the buttery nutty smoothness of the drink trumped the other offerings on their winter menu and was perfect for the season, even on the rocks.

Now that Tailor's gone, I realize I have no choice but to infuse my own. Before I start, I thought I'd ask the more well-versed cognac drinkers/amateur mixologists here for some advice.

Recommendations for a good 'infusing' cognac? Clearly, you wouldn't want to use an XO, but since the final drink is still cognac over ice, it shouldn't be rotgut either.

Thoughts on nut/spirit ratio? I thought I'd do three mason jars of varying proportions, but ballpark suggestions would be appreciated. I've looked on bartending blogs, but mum's the word on walnuts in brandy.

Thanks.

Just kidding but AAAHHHH! No wonder that restaurant failed; walnuts in Cognac, almost an act of sacrilege; brandy yes.

What type of walnuts?

Tim

Didn't realize there were many types. Thought about just buying fresh unsalted walnuts from the baking section at the market.

I imagine it would be the same as any other infusion, I'd start with a cheaper cognac or brandy to experiment with, then just take some crushed walnuts, fresh as possible as walnuts have the capacity to get rancid and bitter, seemingly quicker than other nuts.

Stick it in a cool dark place and every day give it a shake, repeat this for a month or two.

http://www.infusionsofgrandeur.net Has done almond vodka, I imagine walnut cognac would be a similar process.

Thanks for the advice and the link. That was exactly the thing (short of a brand suggestion) I was looking for.

Are you using fresh green walnuts and making a "nocino" type liqueur??

Not trying to make a liqueur per se. As I recall, the flavor was predominantly cognac but the walnuts added a smooth, nutty overtone.

Hennesy VSOP (not the VS) is decent, easy to find and not crazy expensive. Many XOs of other labels, (eg. Fransec) can cost $40-50 and show some complexity and hint of Rancio.

I wouldn't call myself a connoisseur, by any means, but I do enjoy cognac and have a good selection on hand from some really wonderful XO's to some under-appreciated Brandy.

For something like what you're attempting, I would recommend Saint Remy French brandy, XO. It's not all that expensive and is as good or better than a lot of VSOP cognacs on the market, in my opinion.

As you're probably aware, all Cognac is Brandy but Brandy can only be called Cognac if it's the grapes that it is produced from hail from in the small region of France of "Cognac". As such, there are some fine Brandy's, like Saint Remy, made outside of this region, using the same high standards and processes.

I have done blind tests with my friends comparing this brandy to cognacs costing 3 times as much and this one gets picked as their favourite as much as any.

Having said that, my favourite VSOP is Courvoisier Exclusif, however, I wouldn't consider adding anything to it and it's too pricey to be my regular drink.

B

...Eben Freeman...

That's where I stopped reading. Some recipes he's posted online, otherwise you can try to make small talk with him and get the recipe. Basically, he's the number one bartender in the world. The stuff he makes goes beyond the bar and usually involves going the the kitchen, as I assume this recipe has. You can try finding him (is Taylor's closed? I hear both yes and no? If not, I remember reading him having a plan to open his own bar independent Taylor's if it ever went out of business).

From what I've gathered, he's really open to sharing his recipes, it's a matter of getting a hold of him. Also I imagine he's using rather premium ingredients and perhaps local produce, so it may be hard to recreate. Good luck.

Top Bottom