What's new

Crème Brûlée - What torch do you use?

We picked up a torch with a refillable tank, in Bed, Bath & Beyond. I cannot remember the brand, but it works well.

A common misperception as that you need the souvenier torch at cooking stores but most pro's use torches you would find in home depot. Hotter and stronger creates a better carmelized crust. Depending on your frequency though, maybe a smaller torch would be best.

Just a standard oxy-acetylene setup. Gotta be careful with those high temps though -- don't want to burn anything.

Sure you do. Brûlée means burnt. :001_rolle

Well see that's why I don't speak frog. Brûlée may mean "burnt," but we all know if I served some créme brûlée that has a nice burnt top to a frenchman he'd get all snooty and turn his nose.

theres the catalan equivalent called crema catalana which isnt burned with a torch, insted they use a tool similar to a branding iron with a red hot iron disc that has the aproximate diameter of the dish its served in, the get it red hot and then "stamp" the cream in the dish,

just don't use a torch that runs on mapp gas. great hot flame, reeeeally stinky fumes. not tasty. :tongue_sm

edit: no, i have not tried this. i lit a backwoods cigar once with a mapp torch and that was enough for me.

Bernz-o-matic with a propane bottle screwed to the bottom. Those kitchen ones look good, but no self respecting chef would get caught dead with one.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Bernz-o-matic with a propane bottle screwed to the bottom. Those kitchen ones look good, but no self respecting chef would get caught dead with one.

Simple, cheap, and works like a charm. Multitasks, too. Hard to beat.

theres one at deal extreme for around 8 dollars deliverd, but considering the general quality of DX products, i would avoid it,

Top Bottom