What's new

Advice for first fine fountain pen

Keep in mind that not all pens from the factory write well. Richard makes sure that your pen is a smooth writer. It's worth it to make a different order for ink.

Folks are right about a vintage Parker 51. It's not a piston filler, but fills from a bottle even more easily than a piston filler. I'd recommend an aerometric filler, but a vac filler will work well. It's also hard to find a Parker 51 that you buy elsewhere that won't be a good writer. They are in a class by themselves for being stylish, durable, and trouble-free.

Blessings!

Steve

I started with a Pel 200 and a Pel 215. Sold both of them... Unscrewed in my pocket and were to small and light. I now have around 150 pens. Parker "51"s are hard to beat, but my favorites are Edison pens. a bit more then 150. but all hand made. I also find the steel write as well as gold nibs

Well, I don't have the wide-ranging experience with fountain pens that some others here do, but I'll cast another vote for the Parker "51".

I tried a Lamy Safari and then bought a cheap "51" on ebay and got hooked.

I've gone through a few more and although some consider them overrated, I think there is a bit of a "cult" of Parker "51" fans for a reason: classic, very well made pens that WORK.

My go-to is an Aerometric 1951 dated "51" that I wouldn't be without. I have a couple back ups and had a sweet '45 dated pen that Richard Binder restored, but my '51 "51" is just the smoothest pen I've ever used.

Try one, I don't think you'll be disappointed. If you are, say the 51 fans, you just need try another one as the perfect one for you is out there. They made millions of them, thankfully. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom