What's new

Is it worth exploring str8s?

I choose to shave with a str8 on Sundays for 2 reasons.

I enjoy the total relaxation and non rushed time.

I do not hone the razors myself..I have a Old, Old friend who is a barber and he hones them for me... so a once a week shave does not overtax my friendship with his generous offer to hone them for me.

With that being said a evening shave with one of my str8's on a day other then Sunday is certainly not out of the question , but happens quite often.

Even though I don't do it every day.. I do strop them often just for the joy involved.

Hey everyone!

I am enjoying this site more than any discussion group I've ever stumbled across. Currently, I am using an EJ 89L/Feather blades/Nancy Boy shave cream, and I am getting a shave that is otherworldly. I am wondering whether it is worth looking into straights. Basically, I want to know whether there is something that a str8 shave offers that cannot be enjoyed by a good DE shave. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

I tried a DE and I hated it. I'll take my straight thank you. Much more control over the whole ritual.

So, yes! Damn right a straight is worth it.

Let me know if you want to borrow one.

i had this question myself a while back as it seems quite interesting, and after researching it decided ... no. two main reasons:

1) most seemed to advise that if final shave quality was the main goal (and for me, it is) then the str8 does not offer any/enough over the DE to be worth the time investment. if one also was attracted to the "hobby" aspects (learning a new skill, blade stropping and care) then the situation is different.

2) after several years of DE shaving, one morning i somehow nailed my lip with the corner of the blade and got an impressive cut. i thought that i was going to need a couple of stitches but got by without it. i still don't know how i pulled that off, but had it been with a str8 i'm sure the results would have been more dramatic.

i'm not trying to make a blanket proclamation -- just relating my personal analysis/decision.

One of the things keeping me from trying straights right now (aside from the cost) is the fact that I have a van gogh (sometimes incorrectly called a goatee) which is dear to me and I have no intention of getting rid of. Shaving around it with a DE is easy. I get the impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) that shaving around it with a straight would be considerably more difficult, considering the blade angles involved. For instance, in the videos I've seen, when shaving the areas at the corners of the mouth, most guys appear to approach the stroke with the handle by the chin, and the tip of the blade pointing toward the ear. In order to neatly edge my beard, I would need to approach it from the other angle, which the handle up by my ear and the tip of the blade pointing toward my chin. I don't think my hands/wrists can bend in the way they'd need to in order to effect that particular angle. Am I missing something?

One of the things keeping me from trying straights right now (aside from the cost) is the fact that I have a van gogh (sometimes incorrectly called a goatee) which is dear to me and I have no intention of getting rid of. Shaving around it with a DE is easy. I get the impression (please correct me if I'm wrong) that shaving around it with a straight would be considerably more difficult, considering the blade angles involved. For instance, in the videos I've seen, when shaving the areas at the corners of the mouth, most guys appear to approach the stroke with the handle by the chin, and the tip of the blade pointing toward the ear. In order to neatly edge my beard, I would need to approach it from the other angle, which the handle up by my ear and the tip of the blade pointing toward my chin. I don't think my hands/wrists can bend in the way they'd need to in order to effect that particular angle. Am I missing something?

I don't use a straight. Not that I haven't considered doing so... because I have.
But why miss out on giving one a try when you can do the tricky Van Gogh bit with your DE, until you get it nailed?

Van Gogh managed OK.
It's around the ears he had problems with. ;)

Last edited:
Sure are. I have a well trimmed beard and I find a SE or a str8 do the best for edging.... I shave my neck at times with a DE, but ALWAYS finish up with a Str8 or SE for the shaping
Could you possibly explain how you approach that area with your straight? I should also add at this point that, as much as I love shaving, and as much as I love the ritual of it, the idea of switching back and forth between different kinds of blades during a shave doesn't sound appealing to me. I enjoy my shave, but at the same time I want to keep it relatively simple and quick.

The pinpoint accuracy of the str8 or SE allows this.. Check out Joels sticky under Str8's...he can explain it better. Needless to say patience, practice, and the correct stretching give you a chance to get a straight line. DE heads tend to be a bit thick for me to get this correct. Str8 or injector give me the best control. IMHO

In short, Hell Yes!!!

I got great shaves with a DE, but the straight takes it up a notch. The extra control over the edge, angle, and flex of the razor lets you do things you just can't with a DE.

To put it another way, I have about 80 DEs including some rare collector's items. I would sell them all before I sold my Filarmonica.

Top Bottom