What's new

Shaving Rash

Ok about 3 months ago I decided to ditch the mach 3 routine and try a different approach with this routine:

Hot Shower
Apply Palmolive cream using Wilkinson Sword Badger brush.
Start on my face shaving downwards with the grain and then my neck. (But I have discovered the hairs to the right and left of my adams apple grow to the sides and not down. Hairs above the apple grows downwards.)
Then re apply lather and shave across grain for closer shave.
Apply cold water for about 3 minutes and then use a wet allum block.
I get dressed and pat dry my face and apply Nivea Post Shave cream

Been doing this for 3 months now and my skin is all the better for it. Except my neck!!

I have had a look on here and these Merkur blades dont seem to get good press, so I have ordered some Derby ones yesterday. But I just cant get on with my DE razor, I keep cutting myself!

I also brought these after getting good press:
King of Shaves AZOR (funky thing in white, gonna call it the iAzor haha)
King of Shaves Shave Oil (Black bottle with blue lid)
King Of Shaves Azor Advanced Shaving Gel

Impressed with the Oil and Gel. Not so impressed with the Razor. Reminds me of a Gillette Fusion shave. Skin very red after the shave. Not a very close shave at all. The head seems too big it can be awkward around the neck area. But I have to say my skin at the moment feels very refreshed and no tingling feeling!

But I will give it a chance, because lastnight was the last shave of the week which is usually not the best for me after a week of shaving. So tomorrow is day off shaving and will have a recovered face Sunday night for the first shave of the week.

Hate to admit it, but the Wilkinson Sword Titanium blades has given me the best and most comfortable shave so far. But still have the red blotchy neck.

But I still seem to have red rash around my neck mostly around the 'Apple' area around the hairs. It's the only thing that's niggling and annoying me now. It's very red, blotchy and soreish after shaving. By morning the redness has reduced a lot but is still there.

Anyone had this problem and have any cures / tips to reduce this?

Last edited:
That has to do with using too much pressure and going over the area several times. I know, it always seems like you're using no pressure, but I've been through this same thing. Work on your technique, and don't go over the same area again, and again. Use different angle's when you hit those rough spots, and settle for a bit of roughness until you find the right way to hit that area. The shave will still look fine, you'll be the only one who notice's it. :thumbup1:

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I know what you mean, it seemed that I used no pressure at all last night. I'll try again.

Oddly it was above my upper lip I had problems before. But I sussed that when I stopped shaving against the grain and doing 1 pass with the grain and 2nd pass across the grain. But now it's my neck around the adams apple area.

What direction should I use in this area with me? They grow horizontally from the center, and above the adams apple then it grown downwards.

the only way I can use no pressure, is to only hold it with two fingers.

I still get the angle wrong on my neck.

have you seen any of the mantic59 videos?

Last edited:
Start on my face shaving downwards with the grain and then my neck. (But I have discovered the hairs to the right and left of my adams apple grow to the sides and not down. Hairs above the apple grows downwards.)

So are you shaving with the grain on your neck then? If not, that's where your irritation is coming from.

Thanks for the replys both :)

gollum, since looking at my neck more closely last night, id say I haven't been shaving with the grain on my neck, more across and sometimes against in some parts.

Not gonna shave tonight, so hopefully by tomorrow night when my neck would of recovered and my redness would be gone so I can start a fresh week with trying a different direction on my neck and see what happens.

Still gotta watch the cut I did with a DE razor on Wednesday night. I'd say its 2mm deep. Thats gonna take a week or so to fully recover! Lesson learnt there, I need to take more time, as it takes no prisoners! :)

Top Bottom