What's new

Born in "49

It was a very good year... At least until I arrived!

Be that as it may, I'd like advice from those well versed in vintage Gillettes as to a good razor to be on the lookout for from my birth year, 1949.

All ideas and advice welcome..

It was a very good year... At least until I arrived!

Be that as it may, I'd like advice from those well versed in vintage Gillettes as to a good razor to be on the lookout for from my birth year, 1949.

All ideas and advice welcome..

Gillette wasn't using date codes on razors (just blades) in 1949, so the best you can do is go with a range of production on an un-cased razor.

The one-piece models like the Super Speed, Milord, and Aristocrat received a "notch" on the ends of the center bar in 1948. Therefore, a notched razor and no date code would date one of those between 1948 and 1950.

As for shave quality, it is hard to beat the Gillettes from this era. The '40s style SS is very popular. My personal favorite is my '48-'50 Aristocrat.

If you were fortunate enough to find a new old stock razor set with blades date coded 1949 then you would be in business! :thumbup1:

Gillette wasn't using date codes on razors (just blades) in 1949, so the best you can do is go with a range of production on an un-cased razor.

The one-piece models like the Super Speed, Milord, and Aristocrat received a "notch" on the ends of the center bar in 1948. Therefore, a notched razor and no date code would date one of those between 1948 and 1950.

As for shave quality, it is hard to beat the Gillettes from this era. The '40s style SS is very popular. My personal favorite is my '48-'50 Aristocrat.

If you were fortunate enough to find a new old stock razor set with blades date coded 1949 then you would be in business! :thumbup1:

Impressive....:thumbup1:

Thank you gentlemen for the informative answers.

I guess I associate the flare tip Super Speeds with the mid 1950's. I suppose a black tip would be more associated with the decade of the forties?

Thank you gentlemen for the informative answers.

I guess I associate the flare tip Super Speeds with the mid 1950's. I suppose a black tip would be more associated with the decade of the forties?

No sir, The Standard 40's style is not the black tip but simular.

Here is a good look at the Super-Speed.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If I'm not mistaken, I think the red case for the SS was introduced in '49 (and I'm damned sure that if I'm wrong someone will correct me :tongue_sm), so if you get a cased, notched SS it's a fair bet it's a '49.

Top Bottom