What's new

Going Old School

So after taking a trip to Costco last weekend and seeing the prices on the Fusion replacement cartridges, I decided to look for a different razor all together. I came across this awesome forum and started reading about the DE razors and became VERY interested. I just joined today and already I have placed an order for the Edwin Jagger DE89 from bestgroomingtools.com. I read all your guys' reviews of this razor and it seemed like the best buy out there. I've always been interested in cutthroat and DE razors and remember being a kid in Thailand and getting my sideburns and neck trimmed with a straight razor every time I got my haircut. That is one thing I really miss is not many barber shops do that around here. I was also interested to learn a lot of people thought the best blades for DE razors are the Gillette Super Thins from Thailand. Made me smile a little bit to see you guys like products made in my home country. Any way, I'm really excited about trying this classic shaving method and saying to hell with those overpriced razors that don't even give good shaves anyway. I hope to learn a lot from you guys and join the club and I'm sure this will become more than just a grooming routine and become a hobby as well.

From one newbie to another, welcome to the forum! I just got my first DE two weeks ago (a Merkur HC and Rooney 3/1 Super Silvertip brush) and am still getting the hang of it. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard mate. There a so many different DE blades out there. Buy a blade sampler pack. A few vendors on this site sell them, and then stick to what works best for you.

Welcome aboard. That's a nice razor you got too. I find that the handle gets a tad bit slippery when I'm rinsing off the head. If you get that too, just stop for a sec between passes, wipe off the handle of the razor and dry your hands well. That's all it takes for mine to shave like a dream.

Make sure you look at all of the stickies, videos, etc. that are archived on here. Post any questions and search through the back messages too. Tons of useful information.

Thanks for all the welcomes guys. This has to be one of the friendliest forums I've ever been a part of. I'm excited about the razor coming in so hopefully it will be here in a few days. Until then though, I have a question you guys might be able to help me with. What soap should I get? There are so many different kinds and I'm confused by them all. I'm looking at Edwin Jagger since it has the metal bowl and soap set for about $20 shipped. There's also Caswell Massey with wooden bowl shipped for about $17. Some others on here have said Col. Conk and there's Taylor of Old Bond that all look pretty good. Needless to say, it's not easy to settle on one so if you guys can weigh in your opinions on the different brands. I'm leaning towards the Caswell Massey right now in sandalwood because I like the look of the wooden bowl and it also has a lid, but mostly I'm just confused. Any other brand suggestions is welcomed also since I'm a newbie to all this. Thanks for the help fellas. :001_smile

Welcome aboard!

You'll find as many different opinions on soap as there are members (in fact, I'm surprised the Tabac and Mitchell's Wool Fat contingents haven't already shown up). You can't go wrong starting out with Col. Conk, Van der Hagen Deluxe, or L'Occitane Cade, which is my favorite. At some point, you should give Williams a try as well.

You could also purchase a shave stick if you want to try face lathering; I've used Irisch Moos and a glycerin stick from Mama Bear and love them both. Arko, Palmolive, Speick, and Valobra are also well thought of by many.

No matter which soap you're looking at, don't buy it based on the container; you can always get one of those later. Just worry about getting a good performing soap. If you haven't already, hit the review section for lots more information.

EDIT: I purposefully didn't mention any of the high-end or more expensive products because I don't know what your budget is and I haven't used them myself.

Last edited:
Chewy, welcome to Badger and Blade!

In the few short weeks I have been a member here, the fellow members and might I add gentlemen, of this fine website have taught me well. Shaving is such a wonderful daily ritual for me. I took 5 minutes that I hated and turned it into 15 minutes that I love.

I hope you have the same luck!

Kind Regards,

Baba

Top Bottom