What's new

Merkur 38c or Edwin Jagger DE89L for a newbie?

O.k. this is just getting overwhelming now lol! I understand everyone has a different opinion on all these razors, and as someone who is switching from a Mach 3 turbo to a DE razor, I thought I had it narrowed down to either the Merkur 38c (or maybe the 39c) or the Futur, Now I'm reading about the Edwin Jagger DE89L, and considering it as well! What do some of you folks think. Like I said in another post, I know there will be a learning curve no matter which one I buy, and the one thing I'm going to hopefully avoid, or at least try, is to end up buy several razors. I want to try and buy the one that will end up giving me the closest shave, once mastered, even If I go a little overkill doing it. I'll take my chances. I shave with the Mach 3 turbo now, and my face still feels like 150 grit sandpaper,and I'm tired of it. My OCD has kicked in, and I need to make a decision soon, but I have thrown this one in the mix lol! Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Let me throw another option in the mix for you: The Muhle R89. It has the same awesome head as the Edwin Jagger, but on a handle with awesome knurling:

proxy.php

You can usually buy it at West Coast, but it's out of stock:

http://westcoastshaving.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=336

My Muhle R89 showed up yesterday, and it is an awesome razor. Perfect weight, perfect handle length, and an impeccable finish. The shave I had with it this morning was the closest I have probably had in a long time.

Hands down, you should purchase the Edwin Jagger, or the Muhle.

You might be better off talking with someone at the site you plan on buying it from. You'll find most DE vendors very helpful, especially for newbies. The first DE is always the hardest because you don't have anything to compare it to. Until you get the first one, you're not going to know the feel of a long or short handle, slim or thick or heavy or light. That's why most of us have and use more than one razor.

Wow, unanimous so far........I'm seriously thinking of getting this one,and it's a little cheaper than the Merkur. I noticed a DE89 and a DE89L.....I'm assuming DE89L has a longer handle??

You might be better off talking with someone at the site you plan on buying it from. You'll find most DE vendors very helpful, especially for newbies. The first DE is always the hardest because you don't have anything to compare it to. Until you get the first one, you're not going to know the feel of a long or short handle, slim or thick or heavy or light. That's why most of us have and use more than one razor.
Yes, I'm starting to see what you mean.........it really is starting to overwhelm me. I almost just need to flip a coin or something lol!

Wow, unanimous so far........I'm seriously thinking of getting this one,and it's a little cheaper than the Merkur. I noticed a DE89 and a DE89L.....I'm assuming DE89L has a longer handle??

The DE89L has the ridges or Lines in the handle. The DE89 has a smooth handle. I think they're pretty much the same length.

The DE89L has the ridges or Lines in the handle. The DE89 has a smooth handle. I think they're pretty much the same length.

The handle on both is 3 3/8" inches, the L is simply a designation for "lined" indicating the vertical line pattern in the handle.

The Muhle R89 is also the same length. :biggrin1:

the DE89 is one hell of a razor...and not just for starters. i have owned or tried a wide selection of new and vintage DE's and the 89L is my favorite. more than my chattsworth. more than my '53 president. more than my merks.

it's a fantastic, affordable option.

I have owned the EJ and Merkur mentioned and would go with the Merkur 38. I found that the head design on the Merkur yielded a closer, less irritating shave. Sadly, I never found a blade that would work in the EJ/Muhle.

Worst of all, the fit and finish on the EJ was miles ahead of the Merkur, so it was doubly hard giving up the EJ.

the DE89 is one hell of a razor...and not just for starters. i have owned or tried a wide selection of new and vintage DE's and the 89L is my favorite. more than my chattsworth. more than my '53 president. more than my merks.

it's a fantastic, affordable option.

+1 I must sound like i am getting a commission from Edwin Jagger:laugh: i just find them so much better. If i knew about them when i first started I would have gotten one. Most of the newbies are told to maybe start with merkur38c when to me at least the DE89L is a smoother and better built razor.
However this is only my two cents:wink2:

The handle on both is 3 3/8" inches, the L is simply a designation for "lined" indicating the vertical line pattern in the handle.

Yes, the only reason I might choose the Edwin Jagger over it is simply to save a few bucks haha! Money is really tight right now, and those two appear neck in neck, other than the price.......oh yeah, and the really cool knurling.:001_smile

Last edited:

This is confusing because BestGroomingTools lists both at 3.75. Are you sure Muhle handle is the same length as the Edwin Jagger handle? The B&B review seems to show the Muhle being the same length as the Merkur HD, which is shorter than the Edwin Jaggers.

This is confusing because BestGroomingTools lists both at 3.75. Are you sure Muhle handle is the same length as the Edwin Jagger handle? The B&B review seems to show the Muhle being the same length as the Merkur HD, which is shorter than the Edwin Jaggers.

The HD has a shorter handle than the Mühle, don't worry!

Maybe you checked the reviews of the previous R-89 open comb razor; that one has a handle of about the same lenght as the HD.

I'll throw my two cents in. I was new a few weeks ago myself, and picked up a DE89L to start with. I would say its been great so far as a starter into the world of DE shaving. Particularly in the first week, I am sure I was using anything but good technique, and I managed to not need a blood transfusion at the end of the shave. Its actually pretty hard to really get yourself with it, and I've been getting some good shaves with it. I like the weight and the length of the handle.

The HD has a shorter handle than the Mühle, don't worry!

Maybe you checked the reviews of the previous R-89 open comb razor; that one has a handle of about the same lenght as the HD.

That is definitely the case. I went looking for the review in question, and it shows the older style R-89 next to a Merkur HD; that razor is open comb as you said, and also has a totally different handle on it, that lacks the knurling of the current handle.

I'll put in another vote for the EJ. The only thing I would say is that as a newbie you probably won't fully appreciate the quality of the EJ since you'll still be wrestling with technique, soaps/creams, prep, aftershaves, etc. You might find yourself yearning to try another razor, but eventually I predict that you will return to your first love. In my opinion, the EJ really is a 'can't miss' razor. I just don't see how anyone would regret their purchase (this is not the case with some of the Merkurs).

Just my two cents,
Scott

Top Bottom