What's new

SO, SO, SO Frustrated!

I'm at about a month of using a DE and just 3 days of using Hydrolast products (previously used AOS, L'Occitane, Baxter, and others with M3). I can NOT get a good, comfortable shave to save my life! My buddy and I both got the Merkur HD open comb and he's loving his and I'm hating my experience. I have more irritation on my neck than I ever have and it's really not that close.

I'm seriously thinking of sticking with Method Shaving, but switching to an M3. Am I crazy?

(btw, I love the Hydrolast products, especially the conditioner! I got peppermint.)

You're not crazy.
I remember how in the beginning I wanted the old Mach 3 back.

I would have gone with the 33c or HD as a starter--not the Open Comb.
Nonetheless, you still have a great razor. You just need to realize it comes with a steeper learning curve.

If you haven't already then search Mantic 59 on YouTube--his videos are the best place to start. And be sure to read the stickys for Newbies since they contain a wealth of info.

In regards to you specific question with the open comb:
1) PREP. PREP. PREP. Prep is very important and even moreso with, what I consider, an agrressive razor. Try using Kyle's Prep (it's there in the sources I mentioned).
2) I'm sure you've heard the "NO Pressure" maxim. With the Open Comb, this stands.
3) What blade are you using? It may not be you at all; instead, it may the piece of crap blade made by Merkur that's chewing up your face (Merkur = beautiful razors, garbage blades). Try Personnas or Astras and see how it goes.

Keep us posted as to how you are doing.

It's going to take longer than 4 weeks to get competent - especially with adding that whole Method stuff.

I'm 6 months in, and the Method shaving thing still looks like voodoo magic, crossed with the precision required of haute cuisine.

Why not just go with the regular products while you learn? I think there's way too much to take on board with that whole Method thing when starting out.

Last edited:
How often are you re-lathering and are you using a dab of paste each time on each side? One real benefit of using he Hydrolast product as you know is they will help protect your neck and face.

Give Charles a call and tell him what the problem is! Tell him of the frustration, he'll gladly help you out in person.

LOL... Drubbing, it's not voodoo - frankly, once you start, MS really simple and intuitive - and quite flexible.

don't give up yet. it took me awhile to get completely used to the whole thing. i've been at it since september and recently i've found a few more things that helps make the shave better. so don't give up, just keep at it. and on those days where you feel your face is really irritated and it needs a break, you can always use the cartridge. for various reasons, about once a week i use the cartridge. i always use shaving cream or soap and not the canned foam. but don't give up.

If I may be so bold as to suggest a $17 Gillette Tech. Oh, and at 15 months my shaves are not perfect. Be patient or go back to the Mach 3 for a while till you feel the desire to try again. If any method or razor choice is better for you then why change just because the rest of us say so. There are probably millions more Mach shavers than DE shavers. After all what do we know?:001_huh:

I'm at about a month of using a DE and just 3 days of using Hydrolast products (previously used AOS, L'Occitane, Baxter, and others with M3). I can NOT get a good, comfortable shave to save my life! My buddy and I both got the Merkur HD open comb and he's loving his and I'm hating my experience. I have more irritation on my neck than I ever have and it's really not that close.

I'm seriously thinking of sticking with Method Shaving, but switching to an M3. Am I crazy?

(btw, I love the Hydrolast products, especially the conditioner! I got peppermint.)

You didn't mention your blade anywhere in there...
Might be a good idea to get a blade sampler pack from West Coast Shaving, or from one of the vendors on this board, because different blades treat different guys faces differently.

Please do not give up.:001_smile This as so many said above takes time. I am 9 months in and I learn something new still. It took me about 6 months to get a handle on shaving with a DE. Once you find your razor, blade, cream or soap your well on your way. Just work on your angle, pressure and lather and BAM you got it.....:laugh:

Wow! Thanks for all the varied replies. As far as blades, I've gone from the Merkur to Bic to Feather and back to Bic until I get a hang of this. Maybe I'll order a sample pack and try some others. I might get a regular HD as well. I just don't want to be dropping more $ into it if I can avoid it.

Thanks again.

Merkur = almost universally loathed.
Feathers = well known to cut and irritate beginners.
Bic = acceptable but very rough blade for most people.

Seems like you've hit the trifecta of bad blades. Definitely get a sampler and try out some other brands, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, I would ditch the method shave and just learn how to lather and shave a regular cream. You can get all fancy later, now you need to get the fundamentals down.

Instead of taking advice from rank amateurs at DE shaving (including myself), go treat yourself to a professional shave at a well-worn traditional barbershop.

While doing so, observe carefully how the barber prepares your face for a shave. Also, note carefully how he shaves your face. What direction is the blade going as it crosses various parts of your face and neck? He will likely lather you up at least twice. Note which way he goes the first time. It may not be the same on the second go-around.

I had the same experience as you with my neck until I discovered that I was wrongly going ATG (against the grain) on the first pass. (I do two passes over my neck with the grain and then one pass against the grain - no irritation whatsoever.) Sometimes, it may seem confusing as to which direction the hairs on the neck are going. The professional barber will tell you. If you can get through the professional shave without skin and neck irritation, that should give you complete reassurance that you should be able to do the same yourself with the proper razor and blade. I could tell you exactly what I'm doing for my personal situation. But, what works for me may be totally unsuitable for you.

So, get a professional shave and also view the Mantic videos.

Good luck and stick with it.

The Method Shaving products are very customized, and only really work when used with the entire system. They work great for some people (I think the whole system a bit too gimmicky myself), but I can't imagine getting great results when you are trying to use those products, but also still learning how to use a DE razor. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Honestly, go back to using a standard shaving cream/ soap for the time being (shaving cream is easier for a new wet shaver to lather), and re-visit the Hydrolast products after you have developed adequate technique.

The Merkur Open Comb is considered quite aggressive, which means it will be very unforgiving of less than perfect technique; if you mix the use of pressure into the mix, you will get pretty bad results.

As mentioned above, you might be better served to pick up a gentle razor to learn on (such as a vintage Gillette Tech, or Superspeed). Both of these can be had for $10-15 shipped off the B/S/T.

Top Bottom