What's new

Thinning Hair and MSN article

Yes I am getting close to 40 and seeing some thinning hair. Very sad for the ego. I saw an article on
http://men.msn.com/articlebl.aspx?cp-documentid=2284091&GT1=8991
talking about two shampoos that help with thinning hair. One is called Shiseido Andogen Hair Energizing Formula and the other is Lab Series Skin Care for Men Root Power Hair Tonic. There is an ingredient called Adenosine tha is suppose to help with thinning hair. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this product or Adenosine. Hate to drop $60 bucks of so for something that doesn't work. According to the article they say 94% had some improvement. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

WetshaverinMaryland,

I know that this is serious to you. I'll try to offer some suggestions which I think will be beneficial to you.

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of exploitation! Male pattern baldness, and treatments for it, is a big industry. What I would say is that if you're just beginning to notice it, and you're approaching 40, you're ahead of the game. The article below is full of good information... particularly with regard to nutrition.

My personal theory is this: A majority of those affected, particularly at an early age, often have fine hair and oily scalp. Recommendations:

1. Wash your hair/scalp with a shampoo that will remove these oils, and prevent them from building up.
2. Avoid excessive wearing of hats, as that could stimulate the production of oil in your scalp.
3. Pay close attention to your diet, and vitamin intake/balance. IF you are a coffee drinker (and, most of us are), you'll need to replace the vitamins which are literally washed away by coffee. If you take vitamins, make sure that they are as fresh as possible. Stress Vitamins, high in Vitamin B, often contain Biotin and other supplements that are crucial for hair growth. So, educate yourself on vitamins. It may not reverse hair loss, but it may slow it down. The bottom line is that you'll be healthier overall, and that has to be good for your total well-being.

Isn’t it paradoxical that inspite of the fact that most of us enter the world as bald as a coot, and sometimes even exit that way, we spend our lifetime trying to maintain our hair through thick and thin. All of us lose between 40 and 120 strands of hair a day, depending on the amount of hair one has and its growth cycle.

Hair growth is not a continuous process. Hair follicles have a growth phase (anagen) and a resting, non-growth phase (telogen). Depending on how we treat our hair there will invariably be a variation in the amount of hair loss too. The lost hair is often so quickly replaced that we almost never notice its departure. But If you start to notice an alarming amount of hair on the bathroom sink or on your brush, if your pillow is covered with scads of loose hair, if your part seems to be getting wider or you're seeing more scalp, you've probably got a problem and its time to take some action before you are fated to join the million men and women suffering from hair thinning or pattern hair loss. Hair loss and thinning can lead to anxiety, depression, and lack of confidence and fear too.

Why on earth did it happen to me?

Hair loss begins when a certain enzyme converts the hormone testosterone into another hormone called DiHydrotestosterone (DHT). Androgenetic Alopecia, or hereditary hair loss is the most common cause of hair loss. Roughly put, the more Androgens or the hormones that affect hair loss you have the faster you will lose hair. Men generally lose their hair in a horse-shoe shaped pattern; i.e. they lose hair at the top of their head. Women on the other hand very rarely ‘go bald’. Here hair thinning takes place with the part getting wider and the hair receding from the frontal area behind the frontal hairline. Telogen effluvium or hair loss due to emotional stress is another major cause for hair loss. What happens here is that hair goes through a synchronized shift from the anagen phase to telogen, the resting phase? This occurs after severe physiologic stress, such as any major surgery, pregnancy, death, divorce, loss of job etc. Usually once the period of stress is over hair growth slowly returns to normal.

Other factors for hair loss include use of birth control pills (relating to the amount of the progestin hormone in the pill), or a reaction to certain medications or even some supplements. Hair loss is also a known reaction to chemotherapy drugs. Thyroid, syphilis and other illnesses will also lead your hair to fall out. Improper care too plays a role in hair loss. Pulling the hair by wearing a very tight pony tail, cosmetic changes like colouring the hair, rebonding too much blow drying , over zealously brushing your hair , can all cause hair to be pulled out prematurely.

Another important factor is diet. Improper diet, iron deficiency, dyes used incorrectly, losing too much weight too soon and menopause can also cause your hair to thin out.

So what can one do to slow down or reverse hair loss?

History tells us of how the Greek physician Hippocrates tried to alleviate his patients' baldness with pigeon droppings. Aristotle tried goat’s urine to remedy his own baldness. Cleopatra prepared pastes for Julius Caesar made of ground horse teeth, deer marrow and charred mice mixed with bear grease. Its unlikely that any of these remedies bore fruit but the effort in that direction continues. One should however not lose hope as today, more than ever, there are many ways to slow down and even treat hair loss to a large degree.

First check if you are missing out on any of the following:

· Adequate intake of vitamins.
· Balanced diet rich in iron and protein.
· Intake of raw vegetables, fresh fruits, salads, green leafy vegetables regularly.
· Washing hair twice weekly with a light shampoo.
· Reduce anxiety, stress and sleeplessness.
· Check for infections of scalp.

If hair fall persists meet a dermatologist or a physician who deals with hair loss and ascertain the reason for the hair fall. No absolute cure for hair loss has been found so far, yet not all varieties of hair loss are untreatable. Drugs known to slow the onset of common baldness, minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia) are available with prescription. These have gained wide popularity but few of its side effects are still coming to light.

Other Options

Surgical treatments are becoming quite popular as they give a very ‘natural’ look. Hair is transplanted from the back of the scalp from where it grows. This is a very expensive treatment and the can be quite invasive. Experts agree that a diet rich in whole foods and irons help promote hair growth. The food we eat shows in the quality of blood, and, therefore, the hair. For men, it has been suggested that a low fat diet may help decelerate the balding process. For women, hair loss could be a sign of a gastrointestinal problem, which needs to be checked. Lack of protein, or an excess or Vitamin A are a often stated cause of hair loss.

According to Chinese Medicine, hair loss is related to a kidney deficiency. The ancient texts caution that too much sweet or salt could cause hair to fall out. Natural remedies such as Aromatherapy, and natural supplements and herbs such as Saw palmetto oil, Folic acid,Silica biotin, and vitamin B5 are also said to help rejuvenate and maintain thickness of the hair. Ayurveda believes in a holistic approach to alleviate hair loss issues. It is based on the use of plant oils, herbs, as well as meditation, diet, exercise and massage to balance a person's three doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) that make up one's "Prakruti" (mind-body type). According to this ancient science, oils such as brahmi and Bhrigaraj oil reduce Pitta dosha in the hair follicles thereby stimulating hair growth. Mixing either of these oils with some coconut oil and leaving it overnight is a popular solution.

Everyone's hair loss is different, and with constant care and attention one can reduce hair loss and have a head full of beautiful tresses.

Know Effective Hair Loss Remedy through Natural Treatment. Also read some Home Remedy for other common ailments.

I hope that this is helpful information for you!

chop-chop

Thanks, Gareth!

I was in Cheltenham last May, for the Jazz Festival. Nice place!

My hair checked out early on... shortly after I was about 30. So, for a special treat, I like to take my convertible through the carwash... top down of course... and, have a nice hot-wax and a buff! :jump:

chop-chop

Hi, I have been using a shampoo by L'Oreal called Elvive for men for about 5 years now, I can swear by it, it works!, my hair stated to thin when I hit 43, I have halted the thinning process, I have thicker/more hair now than I had 5 years ago. Apparently it has something in it called REGENIUM-XY, all I know is, IT WORKS for me.

There is no product that will reverse hair loss nor cause new hair growth. Minoxidil and finasteride have a 30 percent chance of growing, at best, a very light fuzz which will never regenerate to any thing close to what you had there...and this would only be in the crown area not the front. 70% of users will not experience any growth (light fuzz) at all. Stop using it and bye bye fuzz.

Well, all I can offer is a tip my grandfather gave me on saving my hair.

He said, "under a mountain, if you want to save your hair, put it in a shoe box!"

He was a funny guy.

Started losing it at 21.

Yes I am getting close to 40 and seeing some thinning hair. Very sad for the ego.

1. No, what's sad for the ego is starting to thin at 18...:frown:
2. Nothing will work. You are going bald. Sorry.
3. You can try rogaine, easy now that it's non-prescription and in mousse format.
4. I have a few 20-something friends using it. but it's like crack, you are horrified to stop. After five-ten years of using it every day, it's possible if you stopped, your whole head of hair would fall out..

Of course, your head is a lovely place to get that second shave fix of the day.... Imagine being able to shave once in the morning, and once at night? Twice the creams, twice the aftershaves, balms, preshaves....Heaven, I tell you!

Chop Chop and others. There is some good info here. I think a healthy diet and other recommendations that you make ChopChop is just a smart thing to do. I want to be around for awhile to see grandchildren!

The two items I mentioned appear to really help thicken your remaining hair. I do have hair but it is thinning on the front (middle of the top of the head). I know that monixadil doesn't help there.

The article i mention does give some good ideas for haircuts as well. Lucky for me I am in the military so short hair is in! I know that I shouldn't be so vain but I am in good shape and don't want to lose the hair. If anyone has any guidance on the two items let me know. I am going to start looking at some other ideas you have given me

Thanks!

Thanks, Gareth!

I was in Cheltenham last May, for the Jazz Festival. Nice place!

My hair checked out early on... shortly after I was about 30. So, for a special treat, I like to take my convertible through the carwash... top down of course... and, have a nice hot-wax and a buff! :jump:

chop-chop

Mine started blocking the plug'ole at about 20!

Blokes with hair never believe you get bored with the same bottle of shampoo after a year...

The Jazz festival is at the town hall where my daughter is a festivals organiser. She works mainly on the folk festival but does the artist bookings for others. The Folk Festival is in a few weeks time. My band is playing for the first Cheltenham Aquaceilidh, a barn dance at the town swimming pool! We've decided it would be safer to leave the PA system at home for that one.

Gareth

Chop Chop,

What shampoo do you recommend for this problem (to remove oil). Also you mention shampoo your hair twice a week only or am I miss reading this?

Thanks again!

WetshaverinMaryland,

I know that this is serious to you. I'll try to offer some suggestions which I think will be beneficial to you.

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of exploitation! Male pattern baldness, and treatments for it, is a big industry. What I would say is that if you're just beginning to notice it, and you're approaching 40, you're ahead of the game. The article below is full of good information... particularly with regard to nutrition.

My personal theory is this: A majority of those affected, particularly at an early age, often have fine hair and oily scalp. Recommendations:

1. Wash your hair/scalp with a shampoo that will remove these oils, and prevent them from building up.
2. Avoid excessive wearing of hats, as that could stimulate the production of oil in your scalp.
3. Pay close attention to your diet, and vitamin intake/balance. IF you are a coffee drinker (and, most of us are), you'll need to replace the vitamins which are literally washed away by coffee. If you take vitamins, make sure that they are as fresh as possible. Stress Vitamins, high in Vitamin B, often contain Biotin and other supplements that are crucial for hair growth. So, educate yourself on vitamins. It may not reverse hair loss, but it may slow it down. The bottom line is that you'll be healthier overall, and that has to be good for your total well-being.

Isn’t it paradoxical that inspite of the fact that most of us enter the world as bald as a coot, and sometimes even exit that way, we spend our lifetime trying to maintain our hair through thick and thin. All of us lose between 40 and 120 strands of hair a day, depending on the amount of hair one has and its growth cycle.

Hair growth is not a continuous process. Hair follicles have a growth phase (anagen) and a resting, non-growth phase (telogen). Depending on how we treat our hair there will invariably be a variation in the amount of hair loss too. The lost hair is often so quickly replaced that we almost never notice its departure. But If you start to notice an alarming amount of hair on the bathroom sink or on your brush, if your pillow is covered with scads of loose hair, if your part seems to be getting wider or you're seeing more scalp, you've probably got a problem and its time to take some action before you are fated to join the million men and women suffering from hair thinning or pattern hair loss. Hair loss and thinning can lead to anxiety, depression, and lack of confidence and fear too.

Why on earth did it happen to me?

Hair loss begins when a certain enzyme converts the hormone testosterone into another hormone called DiHydrotestosterone (DHT). Androgenetic Alopecia, or hereditary hair loss is the most common cause of hair loss. Roughly put, the more Androgens or the hormones that affect hair loss you have the faster you will lose hair. Men generally lose their hair in a horse-shoe shaped pattern; i.e. they lose hair at the top of their head. Women on the other hand very rarely ‘go bald’. Here hair thinning takes place with the part getting wider and the hair receding from the frontal area behind the frontal hairline. Telogen effluvium or hair loss due to emotional stress is another major cause for hair loss. What happens here is that hair goes through a synchronized shift from the anagen phase to telogen, the resting phase? This occurs after severe physiologic stress, such as any major surgery, pregnancy, death, divorce, loss of job etc. Usually once the period of stress is over hair growth slowly returns to normal.

Other factors for hair loss include use of birth control pills (relating to the amount of the progestin hormone in the pill), or a reaction to certain medications or even some supplements. Hair loss is also a known reaction to chemotherapy drugs. Thyroid, syphilis and other illnesses will also lead your hair to fall out. Improper care too plays a role in hair loss. Pulling the hair by wearing a very tight pony tail, cosmetic changes like colouring the hair, rebonding too much blow drying , over zealously brushing your hair , can all cause hair to be pulled out prematurely.

Another important factor is diet. Improper diet, iron deficiency, dyes used incorrectly, losing too much weight too soon and menopause can also cause your hair to thin out.

So what can one do to slow down or reverse hair loss?

History tells us of how the Greek physician Hippocrates tried to alleviate his patients' baldness with pigeon droppings. Aristotle tried goat’s urine to remedy his own baldness. Cleopatra prepared pastes for Julius Caesar made of ground horse teeth, deer marrow and charred mice mixed with bear grease. Its unlikely that any of these remedies bore fruit but the effort in that direction continues. One should however not lose hope as today, more than ever, there are many ways to slow down and even treat hair loss to a large degree.

First check if you are missing out on any of the following:

· Adequate intake of vitamins.
· Balanced diet rich in iron and protein.
· Intake of raw vegetables, fresh fruits, salads, green leafy vegetables regularly.
· Washing hair twice weekly with a light shampoo.
· Reduce anxiety, stress and sleeplessness.
· Check for infections of scalp.

If hair fall persists meet a dermatologist or a physician who deals with hair loss and ascertain the reason for the hair fall. No absolute cure for hair loss has been found so far, yet not all varieties of hair loss are untreatable. Drugs known to slow the onset of common baldness, minoxidil (Rogaine) and finasteride (Propecia) are available with prescription. These have gained wide popularity but few of its side effects are still coming to light.

Other Options

Surgical treatments are becoming quite popular as they give a very ‘natural’ look. Hair is transplanted from the back of the scalp from where it grows. This is a very expensive treatment and the can be quite invasive. Experts agree that a diet rich in whole foods and irons help promote hair growth. The food we eat shows in the quality of blood, and, therefore, the hair. For men, it has been suggested that a low fat diet may help decelerate the balding process. For women, hair loss could be a sign of a gastrointestinal problem, which needs to be checked. Lack of protein, or an excess or Vitamin A are a often stated cause of hair loss.

According to Chinese Medicine, hair loss is related to a kidney deficiency. The ancient texts caution that too much sweet or salt could cause hair to fall out. Natural remedies such as Aromatherapy, and natural supplements and herbs such as Saw palmetto oil, Folic acid,Silica biotin, and vitamin B5 are also said to help rejuvenate and maintain thickness of the hair. Ayurveda believes in a holistic approach to alleviate hair loss issues. It is based on the use of plant oils, herbs, as well as meditation, diet, exercise and massage to balance a person's three doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) that make up one's "Prakruti" (mind-body type). According to this ancient science, oils such as brahmi and Bhrigaraj oil reduce Pitta dosha in the hair follicles thereby stimulating hair growth. Mixing either of these oils with some coconut oil and leaving it overnight is a popular solution.

Everyone's hair loss is different, and with constant care and attention one can reduce hair loss and have a head full of beautiful tresses.

Know Effective Hair Loss Remedy through Natural Treatment. Also read some Home Remedy for other common ailments.

I hope that this is helpful information for you!

chop-chop

I got a set of Remington electric clippers with an integrated vacuum at fry's for $30. Never looked back. My wife and others said shaving my head has taken 5 years off my look.

Oh, one accessory that is needed. A cheapie black 97 cent stocking cap from Walmart for the cold weather. Its amazing how much heat you lose through your skull.

I am not there yet...I having thinning in the middle of my head. I heard my first crack about my hair the other day...getting thin..can see the scalp...kind of hit below the belt!

well....the ol shoeshine boy is about half bald headed and i really don't worry too much about it, except that I do wear hats sumeer and winter for sun protection, heat retention and just plan good looks...

Nothing like a nice fedora to do it all....

mark tssb

I seen a person that was losing there hair while still in High School and they never got held back any that I know of.
Since shaving your head is the IN thing now; just think how much less it would cost to shave one's head if partly or mostly bald.
I can remember "Kojak." :w00t: This proves my hair is not that full bit why waste money on Rogaine?

I seen a person that was losing there hair while still in High School and they never got held back any that I know of.
Since shaving your head is the IN thing now; just think how much less it would cost to shave one's head if partly or mostly bald.
I can remember "Kojak." :w00t: This proves my hair is not that full but why waste money on Rogaine when you can buy shaving supplies?

Top Bottom