What's new

Suddenly I GET IT!

All of a sudden I figured out how to shave properly. I'm so excited, I feel like a kid with his first drink or his first girl!

I started off right. I read the forum, I watched Mantic's videos, and I went to Amazon and bought the basic stuff: a Weishi butterfly DE from RetroRazor, Personna blades, a cheap boar brush, and some Proraso cream. Then Razor Acquisition Disorder set in and I started buying: more blades and creams, a razor stand, a Merkur 38C, and a badger brush. I read Leisureguy's book cover to cover. And still always ended up with either (a) tremendous razor burn and cuts or (b) an unsatisfactory shave.

I knew I was doing something wrong. I went back and watched the videos again. I reread Leisureguy's book. I decided the Merkur was "too aggressive for my sensitive face" and went back to the safe Weishi. I thought about going back to an electric razor.

Tonight, I approached the mirror with grim trepidation. And then I did something new: I turned off the exhaust fan in the bathroom, and I listened.

I heard scraping. I adjusted the blade angle. Now I didn't hear anything, but I was just pushing the cream around. I adjusted again, and suddenly I could hear each whisker being cut. I nearly wept with joy. Gleefully I finished up my third pass, washed up, and applied some Razor Defense.

I still need to work on my chin and neck technique, and I still have a lot of products to try out, but now I'm looking forward to my next shave!

Anyway, I want to thank all of you for creating and maintaining such an invaluable resource ... and to encourage the other newbies here to stick with it. I hope you all have your "eureka" moments like I just did.

Suddenly HE GETS IT! :001_smile Sound can be a powerful tool in adjusting your angle. Congrats on figuring it out before going back to electric. Try and take your time with the "a lot of products to try," wouldn't want to hamper your new found progress by introducing too many variables at once. :biggrin1:

You just explained all my same frustrations.I had no idea that the scratching sound was a good thing. I think I just realized how important blade angle is. That will certainly help me out tomorrow morning. Thank you for posting this.

Tonight, I approached the mirror with grim trepidation. And then I did something new: I turned off the exhaust fan in the bathroom, and I listened.

I heard scraping. I adjusted the blade angle. Now I didn't hear anything, but I was just pushing the cream around. I adjusted again, and suddenly I could hear each whisker being cut. I nearly wept with joy. Gleefully I finished up my third pass, washed up, and applied some Razor Defense.

Now you need to get a GEM and listen to the sound that a single edge blade makes. It is like 3D audio being played through a really good surround sound system compared to a double edge blade.

Try and take your time with the "a lot of products to try," wouldn't want to hamper your new found progress by introducing too many variables at once. :biggrin1:

Great point, and one echoed in Leisureguy's book. I plan to give each type of blade a few shaves before passing judgement.

Also on my to-do list: find a quieter exhaust fan for the bathroom! :001_smile

Now you need to get a GEM and listen to the sound that a single edge blade makes. It is like 3D audio being played through a really good surround sound system compared to a double edge blade.

GEMS, injectors, str8... all have this 3D sound.... Music to my ears

First - Welcome to B&B!

Audio feedback is one of the most crucial aspects of a good razor.

Oh yes! And you'll always improve - even we veterans have to adjust! Well done. :thumbup1:

Yeah, maybe the GEM/Ever Ready shave is further down the road, but HoosierTrooper is right - you will enjoy it when you're ready and they give fantastic shaves.

I got it much the same way when I started. Have fun and remember that all your shaves will get better from here!!!:thumbup:
Happy Shaves

Turn off the bathroom fan

It should be one of the first bits of advice to any new wet shaver. The same revelation transformed my lathering technique. You've really got to listen to the lather you're building. Fortunately I discovered this before I got my DE and have been listening to what the blade has been telling me since day 1.

Congrats on your discovery! :thumbup:

Top Bottom