What's new

Help identifying vintage Gillette razor?

Hi all, first post here. I just picked up this razor at an antique store for $15. It's in pretty great shape; I'm just curious if anyone could help identify the model. It's a single piece TTO DE razor, and it says Gillette and made in USA under the head. My first guess was a Gillette Super Speed, but the nurlings on the bottom of the handle look different. Any ideas? If more pictures are needed to help identify, I have a few that I could post. Thanks.

proxy.php

That's a Gillette President, and if you only paid $15 for it, you my friend have the score of the month! Those regularly go for many times that price. I've got a 100 Gillettes and not one President.
Congrats and welcome to B&B.

Last edited:
eBay prices in really good shape (this one looks like it may be) typically $200 to $300, sometimes less sometimes more. Fantastic score for $15 (both of mine are from 1953, seems to be a common year for them, not sure how many years they were made, I don't think many). Check the date code on the underside of the head, a single letter (Y is '53) and a single number (1-4, denotes the quarter of the year made).

Great catch!

My heart literally skipped a beat. Congrats! I paid $97 for my President, and then some more for the case. Goodness.

I am giddy right now to hear this--thank you all for your information. As for the year, I don't see it--under the head, it simply says: "REG US - PAT OFF - Gillette - Made in USA". On the inside of the top, under where the blade would go, it says "PAT NOS. ON PKG."

EDIT: On second thought, the year could be obscured. There seems to be some dried shaving gunk I need to clean off in the corners, maybe it's under there. I'll take another look once I give it a thorough cleaning.

Last edited:
I am giddy right now to hear this--thank you all for your information. As for the year, I don't see it--under the head, it simply says: "REG US - PAT OFF - Gillette - Made in USA". On the inside of the top, under where the blade would go, it says "PAT NOS. ON PKG."

I'm jealous saying it. What luck! I've never seen one without a date code, are you sure?

edit: Also, just to feed your curiosity, here's a picture from Mr. Razor aka Achim's website:

proxy.php

OK, I cleared up some of the dried white gunk using water and a cotton swab--it has a Y on the left side under "REG US."

1953 it is. In the opposite corner, you'll find the number representing which quarter of 1953. Congrats again on a great find :thumbup1:

1953 it is. In the opposite corner, you'll find the number representing which quarter of 1953. Congrats again on a great find :thumbup1:

I've never seen a President that WASN'T from '53. The one I kept is, the one I traded to Michael was, I believe Bill's is... anyone have a President from another year?

Thank you all for your responses. I also saw a slim looking (not heavy duty like the president), gold Gillette DE three piece razor. Would any of you happen to know what this might be? It was on the cheap, $6.

Edit: Another distinguishing factor was that the top of the head had the Gillette logo on it.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your responses. I also saw a slim looking (not heavy duty like the president), gold Gillette DE three piece razor. Would any of you happen to know what this might be? It was on the cheap, $6.

Edit: Another distinguishing factor was that the top of the head had the Gillette logo on it.

Almost certainly a tech. Without a date code it's hard to guess at how old it is, but I *think* the logo on the cap was introduced in... '46? Someone will come along and correct me shortly.

edit: As an afterthought, see if you can find it here: http://www.mr-razor.com/. Browse to "Razors," then "Tech" because I think that's what it is. If you can't find it... try another category :p

Almost certainly a tech. Without a date code it's hard to guess at how old it is, but I *think* the logo on the cap was introduced in... '46? Someone will come along and correct me shortly.

edit: As an afterthought, see if you can find it here: http://www.mr-razor.com/. Browse to "Razors," then "Tech" because I think that's what it is. If you can't find it... try another category :p

It could quite possible be a tech. You know, at just $6, I might as well just buy it for the hell of having it. I'll post pictures tomorrow morning after I make the purchase. :biggrin1:

I know a guy who got dealt a full house on his first hand of poker.

He spent years trying to live up to that first hand....:lol:

Congrats on the superb score, and by all means grab the Tech.

Picked up the $6 (suspected) tech. It's not in great condition--there's some green on it; might have to use some CLR to clean it up. Is it a Tech, as we suspected? The date code is Z4.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Picked up the $6 (suspected) tech. It's not in great condition--there's some green on it; might have to use some CLR to clean it up. Is it a Tech, as we suspected? The date code is Z4.

proxy.php

A Tech it is. Be careful when cleaning it that you don't use any abrasive polishes, they will remove what remains of the gold plating.

Check for a date code like on the President. If there is none, it is pre-1951. If the slots by the safety bars are slightly triangle shaped, it is 1945 or earlier (1938 being the very first, but I don't think the ball handle was out yet). If the slots have parallel sides instead, it is 1946 or later.

Top Bottom