What's new

Help identifying vintage Gillette razor?

Check for a date code like on the President. If there is none, it is pre-1951. If the slots by the safety bars are slightly triangle shaped, it is 1945 or earlier (1938 being the very first, but I don't think the ball handle was out yet). If the slots have parallel sides instead, it is 1946 or later.

My Tech knowledge is clearly lacking :blush:

Judging by these answers. I think my question was just answered. Is a Gillette president in the original box in very good to excellent condition worth 150.00 USD?

Check for a date code like on the President. If there is none, it is pre-1951. If the slots by the safety bars are slightly triangle shaped, it is 1945 or earlier (1938 being the very first, but I don't think the ball handle was out yet). If the slots have parallel sides instead, it is 1946 or later.

It's a Z4. So, 1954. I've cleaned them both up and took some pictures. Incoming:

proxy.php

proxy.php

Picked up the $6 (suspected) tech. It's not in great condition--there's some green on it; might have to use some CLR to clean it up. Is it a Tech, as we suspected? The date code is Z4.

It's all there . . . solid . . . a little clean-up (don't polish with anything stronger than toothpaste) and it will look better.

Shave with it, and you will be convinced it is worth more than the $6 you paid for it!! Techs are great shavers - gentle and predictable!

Enjoy - not only the Tech, but the President as well . . . darn you anyway!!!:tongue_sm

It's a Z4. So, 1954. I've cleaned them both up and took some pictures. Incoming:

Looks great. If you ever decide it's not for you, send me a PM. I will double... no... triple! your money if you want to sell it.

...quadruple? quintuple? :001_huh:

Picked up the $6 (suspected) tech. It's not in great condition--there's some green on it; might have to use some CLR to clean it up. Is it a Tech, as we suspected? The date code is Z4.

It's all there . . . solid . . . a little clean-up (don't polish with anything stronger than toothpaste) and it will look better.

Shave with it, and you will be convinced it is worth more than the $6 you paid for it!! Techs are great shavers - gentle and predictable!

Enjoy - not only the Tech, but the President as well . . . darn you anyway!!!:tongue_sm

It's polished, barbicided, and loaded up with a blade. I will be shaving with it tomorrow. :thumbup:

Looks great. If you ever decide it's not for you, send me a PM. I will double... no... triple! your money if you want to sell it.

...quadruple? quintuple? :001_huh:

Hahah! :lol: I haven't quite decided if I want to shave with El Presidente quite yet. The tech will definitely become a standard for me (the Parker 91R I bought is a little too aggressive for me).

The same antique shop also has what LOOKS like a 1912 Gem single edge razor for $15. Thoughts?

Hahah! :lol: I haven't quite decided if I want to shave with El Presidente quite yet. The tech will definitely become a standard for me (the Parker 91R I bought is a little too aggressive for me).

The same antique shop also has what LOOKS like a 1912 Gem single edge razor for $15. Thoughts?

Yes, you will find the Tech to be a standard . . . but from what I've read, the President should shave very much like the Aristocrat from the same era . . . and that, sir, is my go-to razor!!

Now, the 1912 . . . that's a whole 'nother issue . . . go down that road and you may be ready to sell the President for one of those 3X offers you had!! :thumbup1:

Yes, you will find the Tech to be a standard . . . but from what I've read, the President should shave very much like the Aristocrat from the same era . . . and that, sir, is my go-to razor!!

Now, the 1912 . . . that's a whole 'nother issue . . . go down that road and you may be ready to sell the President for one of those 3X offers you had!! :thumbup1:

I can see I am developing Acquisition Disorder already. The shopkeep may end up thinking I'm nuts for walking in three days in a row buying safety razors--but that's what he gets for pricing them so low! Pics of the 1912 will be posted tomorrow :biggrin1:

That's a Gillette President, and if you only paid $15 for it, you my friend have the score of the month! Those regularly go for many times that price. I've got a 100 Gillettes and not one President.
Congrats and welcome to B&B.

I'm thinking so far this is the score of the year.....:lol::lol::lol:

You've done very, very well for yourself sir. I don't think we'll see a 15.00 President in that shape again...

Picked up the 1912! For only $15, it's in pretty great shape. Almost spotless. Any thoughts on it? Pics:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Thoughts, first up, the 1912's are GREAT shavers! Get some decent blades (I use and get great results from the GEM blades in the shaving area of Walgreens, but many here prefer the Ted Pella's available only in quantity through the mail). On the price, you didn't do nearly as well as the others (that President deal will be hard to beat EVER). The 1912 seems very readily available on eBay for under ten bucks (assuming no case), but then there's shipping. And most are not as clean as that. It's an ultra cool vintage razor that some feel may be the best shaving safety razor of all time. I've got a whole fleet of 'em. :w00t: BTW, I think that is the shorter handled travel version. I'd have bought it. If I didn't already have one (one?).

ETA: Try that President out (unless you have evidence it's NEVER been shaved with). It is a wonderfully popular model, for not only it's looks, but the way it shaves. And you could use it for years without changing it's appearance or value one iota. Remove the blade and rinse and dry the razor after each use, load again when ready to shave. And keep it away fgrom the case until it's thoroughly air dried and ready to await it's next turn in the rotation. And BTW, the clerk would be right. :laugh: You've got RAD. :laugh:

Last edited:
Thoughts, first up, the 1912's are GREAT shavers! Get some decent blades (I use and get great results from the GEM blades in the shaving area of Walgreens, but many here prefer the Ted Pella's available only in quantity through the mail). On the price, you didn't do nearly as well as the others (that President deal will be hard to beat EVER). The 1912 seems very readily available on eBay for under ten bucks (assuming no case), but then there's shipping. And most are not as clean as that. It's an ultra cool vintage razor that some feel may be the best shaving safety razor of all time. I've got a whole fleet of 'em. :w00t: BTW, I think that is the shorter handled travel version. I'd have bought it. If I didn't already have one (one?).

ETA: Try that President out (unless you have evidence it's NEVER been shaved with). It is a wonderfully popular model, for not only it's looks, but the way it shaves. And you could use it for years without changing it's appearance or value one iota. Remove the blade and rinse and dry the razor after each use, load again when ready to shave. And keep it away fgrom the case until it's thoroughly air dried and ready to await it's next turn in the rotation. And BTW, the clerk would be right. :laugh: You've got RAD. :laugh:

Thanks for the info, mate! I know, my RAD is developing at a staggering pace. I'm even going to an antique fair next week to poke around for razors.

I'm glad you gave me a recommendation to get the GEM blades from Walgreens. I almost went to CVS to get their generic brand, but this sounds even better.

The President has definitely been shaved with. There was dried shaving gunk inside the head and under it when I bought it (so much that I couldn't see the date code until I gave it a good cleaning with a toothbrush). Maybe I will give it a shot when I'm more experienced--honestly, I'm still pretty new to wetshaving and I think the Tech and 1912 will be a great place to start.

Hi guys,

I'm new here and I'm french, the name is Alex. Classic shaving is growing on me and I remembered seeing my dad with a DE razor when I was a kid. I asked him to lend it to me and I have it now. I'd like to know what model it is.Google got me here !

It's a Gilette, 3 parts, the color is black and on the back of it it reads

PAT.0FF REG US Made in USA The gilette logo.

Here are some pics of it. I've not cleaned it yet. Also it comes in a plastic box where it fits when taken apart. I think there is even room to put some blades in the box. Anyways, here are the pics. PLease help me know what it is :)

$20140111_185455.jpg$20140111_185344.jpg$20140111_185337.jpg

Thanks.

Top Bottom