What's new

Safety Razor for a Newbie

Hello to all

Can anyone suggest which safety razor is best suited for a wet shave newbie like me?:blush:

Ive heard that the MERKUR 34 does the job pretty well.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!:thumbup1:

I have the Merkur HD (34C). This one has a little short handle, but you'll get used to it. Still, the 23 model has the same pivet, but with a lightly longer and thinner handle.

I find this razor very good. I have yet not cust myself (I'm two weeks into this). This razor would do the job for you very well, unless you have zz-top beard:lol:

Just remember not to use too many passes. One, two at most, with the grain passes would do for the first month. To let your face adjust I mean. I didn't do this, and I now suffer from some razor bumps at certain places (I went for across the grain and against the grain within a week.. not smart:001_rolle)... Btw, you'll come over terms as wtg/ctg(OR xtg)/atg. These simply means what I just wrote: With The Grain, 'cross The Grain and Against The Grain.

So, to conclude: merkur 34C = very good razor. I'd recommend it. Join the war against Gillette:thumbup1:

-Compaq-

Merkur HD (34C a.k.a. #178) is the one I started shaving with few weeks ago as well. Didn't have any cuts. I'd recommend it as well.

If you want a new TTO with a fairly long handle, the Parker 82R is a decent shaver. Older Parker TTOs don't seem to be as good, but I have had the 82R for about a month now and have been getting pretty good shaves. Is it the ultimate razor, probably not, but I prefer it to a Gillette Aristocrat I also have (Though who knows, that could change with experience). In any case, a decent value especially if you want new and TTO as opposed to a two or three piece razor.

--
Bill

In any case, a decent value especially if you want new and TTO as opposed to a two or three piece razor.

--
Bill

If we are going down the new TTO road, I would reccomend the Ming Shi: about the same level of aggressiveness as a vintage Superspeed, and nice overall build quality.

Buy Ming Shi for $12.99 @ Shaveabuck

This razor is marketed by "The Shaving Factory" which is the US component of Derby International (Derby blades).

Lest anyone after me mention the Weishi as an option, I found it to be so mild as to be totally useless, and they have been having some pretty serious quality control issues as of late as well.

My recommendation is for the Merkur 34, aka HD ... they are readily available brand-new from a number of vendors. Its very forgiving of a beginner's technique (or lack thereof,) and yet it gives a fine shave for experienced users, too. The HD may turn out to be the only razor you'll ever need, but don't let that stop you from collecting and trying out others. Don't forget to get a blade-sampler pack as well ... its sort of a rite of passage around here.

Whatever you do, don't make the common Newbie mistake (like I did) and spent too much time doing research before you start. Having ANY brand of razor/blade/brush/soap/cream/asb is better than having none at all. And you'll learn more about wet-shaving in just a few weeks of actually putting blade to face than you will in a year of reading forums.

Super newb - whats the different between a standard safety Razor and a TTO?

Standard Razor:
proxy.php

TTO (TWIST TO OPEN)

proxy.php

Hello to all

Can anyone suggest which safety razor is best suited for a wet shave newbie like me?:blush:

Ive heard that the MERKUR 34 does the job pretty well.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!:thumbup1:

It depends on whether you want new or old :laugh:

I can't comment on new, but regarding old, a Tech or Super Speed either one is a great starter outer...

Welcome to the forum!

As others have mentioned, a Gillette Tech or a Gillette Super Speed. If you like a thinner profile, then go with the Tech.

You can always go more aggressive, such as a Merkur HD, a Gillette NEW or Old-Type, or even a GEM single-edge later on once you develop your shaving technique/preferences.

The choices are plentiful, and if you really learn to like traditional wetshaving, are varied. However, again I suggest a Tech or Super Speed.

The reason I suggest either of the Gillettes is because they are widely available and can still be had at good prices.

Heck, I am even willing to PIF you a 1960's black-handled, silver flair-tipped Super Speed just to see if you like it. If you would PM me with your name and shipping address we can complete the arangements.

Warmest Regards,

David

Last edited:
OMG:w00t:

I really didnt expect so much help. Thanks a lot everyone.

As I firued out there are mainly two different "teams" the MERKUR and GILLETTE funs.

As Compaq mentioned it is probably a war between the two firms:tongue_sm!!

Just for your info I would like to spend abt 40-50€ max (Im from Greece by the way), and also Im interested in buying a NEW Razor not an antique or something like that.

At the moment I believe that the MERKUR wins points....

Any other suggestions?

Thank you all again:thumbup1:

If you want a new TTO with a fairly long handle, the Parker 82R is a decent shaver. Older Parker TTOs don't seem to be as good, but I have had the 82R for about a month now and have been getting pretty good shaves. Is it the ultimate razor, probably not, but I prefer it to a Gillette Aristocrat I also have (Though who knows, that could change with experience). In any case, a decent value especially if you want new and TTO as opposed to a two or three piece razor.

--
Bill

Where did u pick this up?

Welcome to the forum!

As others have mentioned, a Gillette Tech or a Gillette Super Speed. If you like a thinner profile, then go with the Tech.

You can always go more aggressive, such as a Merkur HD, a Gillette NEW or Old-Type, or even a GEM single-edge later on once you develop your shaving technique/preferences.

The choices are plentiful, and if you really learn to like traditional wetshaving, are varied. However, again I suggest a Tech or Super Speed.

The reason I suggest either of the Gillettes is because they are widely available and can still be had at good prices.

Heck, I am even willing to PIF you a 1960's black-handled, silver flair-tipped Super Speed just to see if you like it. If you would PM me with your name and shipping address we can complete the arangements.

Warmest Regards,

David

PM sent if Hit didnt take u up on ur offer

Top Bottom