What's new

American Red Cross Tech Razor

I got this American Red Cross Tech Razor today and was surprises to see it had an aluminum handle. It looks like it is NOS, I thought everyone might enjoy seeing it.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a fairly late model Tech, as "Gillette" is stamped into the head, rather than being just embossed on like it was on earlier Techs.

Is there a date code underneath the head?

If I recall correctly, the 1970's era Tech's did in fact have aluminum handles. :tongue_sm

That would be a fairly late model Tech, as "Gillette" is stamped into the head, rather than being just embossed on like it was on earlier Techs.

Is there a date code underneath the head?

If I recall correctly, the 1970's era Tech's did in fact have aluminum handles. :tongue_sm

Yes it does have a date code, it is stamp M 2.

Yes it does have a date code, it is stamp M 2.

That would make it 2nd quarter of 1967, so as I said before, it's a fairly late model tech. :thumbup1:

That's pretty nice for a giveaway. Most likely if they give out razors now they're a plastic throw away.

Len

Gillette has always made their money on the replacement blades, not the razor itself. Gillette has no issues with giving the razor away for free, if they know you will be a loyal customer for many years as you buy replacement blades. Gillette to this day still sends young adults free razors in the mail on their 18th birthday.

Last edited:
I would suspect that's not the original razor. I've had several of these Red Cross sets dated as late as 66 with the identical box, and they've all been nickel/brass with the etched head. OTOH, the one in Achim's pic has a different logo, so who knows? Probably put whatever they had lying around in that box.

Last edited:
I would suspect that's not the original razor. I've had several of these Red Cross sets dated as late as 66 with the identical box, and they've all been nickel/brass with the etched head. OTOH, the one in Achim's pic has a different logo, so who knows? Probably put whatever they had lying around in that box.

Hi Pete,

You might be right but I don't think so, everything looks like new. Have you ever see a Tech like this with an aluminum handle? I think it was a special razor made just for me.

Never mind the handle, I think the more interesting part of this is the box itself.

"Gift of the American Red Cross" in 1967? Could this be part of the CARE packages that were sent to POWs in VietNam? Now THAT would be a piece of History!

Gillette gave zillions of these away throught the Red Cross to mostly military and perhaps disaster victims during the 60's, or earlier, and IIRC up to the early 70's. I've had ones from '63 to about '69. So there were a lot of them going to Nam and elsewhere.

In my limited experience with them, the razors, if not the boxes, always seem to be in really good shape for some reason. Strange.

It is the first aluminum handle tech I have seen. Sounds like you have seen more of these sets than anyone Pete.

I've seen a lot of them for sale, but I've never seen an aluminum one. When did Gillette start making alum. handled Tech's? I thought it was later than the Red Cross campaign, like late 70's. That's why I was suspect about its originality. Of course, I may be wrong as usual.

V

VR6ofpain

I believe those top caps are not actually brass. I think they are zinc. Cooncatbob was talking to me about this. I believe he found out when he tried to take the nickel off one.

I've seen a lot of them for sale, but I've never seen an aluminum one. When did Gillette start making alum. handled Tech's? I thought it was later than the Red Cross campaign, like late 70's. That's why I was suspect about its originality. Of course, I may be wrong as usual.

It is stamped with M-2 so it is a 1967 head, can't say anything about the handle.

Gillette gave zillions of these away throught the Red Cross to mostly military and perhaps disaster victims during the 60's, or earlier, and IIRC up to the early 70's. I've had ones from '63 to about '69. So there were a lot of them going to Nam and elsewhere.

In my limited experience with them, the razors, if not the boxes, always seem to be in really good shape for some reason. Strange.
They are probably in good shape because they were never given out. You can be sure that the Red Cross had thousands of these razors stockpiled for disaster preparedness. How they made it out into the vintage marketplace is another question.

Then again, even if one of these razors were given out to a disaster victim, its not surprising that it was never used.

Suppose you were stranded in an earthquake zone, and a benevolent person gave you a brand-spanking new razor. You're going to think to yourself "Hmmmmm, let's see. My house is destroyed. My wife is dead. My kids are missing. My leg is broken. I haven't had any food or water for three days. I THINK I'LL Go SHAVE! ... Then again, maybe not."

Last edited:
I can see how they hit the market unused coming from soldiers/victims but I didn't think about the RC itself having stockpiles.

OTOH, I could see some of the members here standing on a pile of rubble, heating up water over the charred, smoking remnants of their smoldering bathrooms....making lather........ :biggrin:

Suppose you were stranded in an earthquake zone, and a benevolent person gave you a brand-spanking new razor. You're going to think to yourself "Hmmmmm, let's see. My house is destroyed. My wife is dead. My kids are missing. My leg is broken. I haven't had any food or water for three days. I THINK I'LL Go SHAVE! ... Then again, maybe not."

Well if the person in question is a member of this site, and essentially their life is now a total crapfeast, their shaving obsession might be the only thing left to lend some semblance of normality, and thus keep them from going insane. :lol::lol::biggrin1:

Perhaps tangental or rediculous, but I'm curious. Can anyone make out what it says in the little partially blacked out box underneath the words Super Stainless Steel Blade? Any idea why they would partially black out the writing? Security function?

DOH!!! Where was the mailing list sign-up when I hit 18?

This is no sign up, they just "magically" come in the mail. Don't get too excited though, as the razor they send will be a Fusion, or whatever their [begin sarcasm] newest, greatest, latest, best shave a man can get razor is.[/end sarcasm]

Top Bottom