What's new

Long live rock: The Who set to play Super Bowl XLIV halftime

I am looking forward to it, they have had some good act the past few years (Prince, Sting, No Doubt). I just hate the acts that mime (Shania Twain) :thumbdown

Good Lord. I am one of the most fanatical Who fans out there, and was quite surprised at how good the post-Entwistle band was in concert, but choosing them for the Super Bowl is ridiculous.

They must be totally tailoring these things to the Baby boomer demographic, because no one under 40 cares about them anymore, let alone knows who they are. And to see the world's greatest live band reduced to the usual fake-playing (and, yes, the music is pre-recorded and they fake-play. Just watch the awful Stones performance of several years ago and you'll see that Keif isn't even changing chords or even strumming real strings half the time). The 'Oo have been cashing it in for years, but it'll be painful to watch this. Fortunately, no team I care about will even be in the game, so I will probably skip the whole thing anyway.

Jeff in Boston

Been a big Who fan since my early 20's...I'm 39 now. I decided to check them out when I saw a best album of all time discussion on an obscure sports show, and one of the guests argued for "Who's Next". The Who was the first band to hold the record for loudest band (126db) measured at a 1976 concert. In their heyday, nobody could touch them as far as live performances... check out the concert DVD of the Isle of Wight concert from 1970. I watched it over X-mas, on my dad's 52'' Sony with dolby digital surround, subwoofer etc.....I was blown away to say the least.

The problem IMHO with Super bowl performances is that they are quite abbreviated, so the performers have to rip through a medley of sorts, that cuts off as soon as they get going good. Also I'll be disappointed if they just rehash all the songs that the CSI TV shows are cutting and pasting for the show intros.

It'd be cool if they played something like "Water" or something from Quadrophenia.
I love the fact that Townshend bashed Abbie Hoffman over the head with his guitar at Woodstock!

Anyway, hope it's a good game and performance...wonder if Pete will be pulling off any windmill riffs, or scissor kicks? :w00t:

After the wardrobe malfunction incident, the odds of ever seeing a young and relevant act at the Super Bowl are Zero. Isn't James Taylor playing there, too?

If it were the complete original line up, that would be something to see. As it is, it's 1/2 of a band that used to be great. I am sure they will still rock, but it is a safe bet their tops will not be falling off.

Another rock band SELLS OUT:angry::thumbdown

Oh, I love the Who and always have, but to sell out to corporate America is anti Rock, I mean real 60s rock, maybe early 70s too. Rock n Roll is for rebels and hippies and freaks, and not for Big money establishment. Makes me wonder? And at close to 60 yrs young I find I wonder a lot lately.:mad3:

Another rock band SELLS OUT:angry::thumbdown

I beg your pardon, but hasn't that been The Who's inclination from inception? :lol:

proxy.php

Top Bottom