What's new

Help! AS routine is out of control!

I need to simplify my AS routine. Without going through everything, here is the deal. I need a good AS balm or Cream to replace my Proraso AS Cream. The Proraso is not cutting it because I have to follow with tons of lotion. I want to skip that step. I need an AS bomb or cream which will be super moisturizing and nourishing while making my face feel good. My only request is that it not be sticky or oily. Is this going to be possible? Is their an industry standard for this type of thing? Thanks guys.......

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Witch Hazel might do the trick or Skin Food by GFT!

So you want something more moisturizing than the Proraso balm?

A few that spring to mind are D.R. Harris aftershave milk, Saint Charles Shave's "Sahara" aftershave balm, and Musgo Real aftershave balsam (balm)

Cade ASB. Use a small amount and dilute it with a couple drops of water and put it on while your face is still damp. If you use too much your face will be greasy.

I really like the Proraso ASB and think it moisturizes really well. However, PdP's ASB probablys does Proraso 1 better in the moisturizing department.

I won't recommend a particular brand of aftershave because I cannot use balms or creams, plus others have done a great job already. I will piggyback on others' suggestion of witch hazel.

Things have gone to another level since I began using Thayers' astringent prior to my aftershave application. While some brands of aftershave kept my face comfortable for half the day, one in particular was slightly drying -- no more.

For what it's worth, I use the original with aloe.

ANY of the SCS balms or milks do a great job, but they are almost TOO effective...you literally need like 3-4 drops, like the label says. My faves are the Savory Rose and Bay Rum with a Twist (both milks, somewhere between a balm and a splash). Waiting on Sue to get me an invoice for a few more now, as a matter of fact (Blue Line splash and balm, Lime splash and milk, Bay Rum balm). SCS = :thumbup:

I need to simplify my AS routine. Without going through everything, here is the deal. I need a good AS balm or Cream to replace my Proraso AS Cream. The Proraso is not cutting it because I have to follow with tons of lotion. I want to skip that step. I need an AS bomb or cream which will be super moisturizing and nourishing while making my face feel good. My only request is that it not be sticky or oily. Is this going to be possible? Is their an industry standard for this type of thing? Thanks guys.......

I just purchased a jar of the Proraso pre-post shave cream (green tea or something like that) and it looks, smells, and feels like Noxzema to me. It's nothing like the balms and I haven't used it post shave yet to be able to tell how soothing it's going to be. Is it pure coincidence it's so much like Noxzema?

Have you tried Aqua Velva? Taylor's AS lotions are wonderful in my experience.

Does AV make a balm? I love the smell of their splash-on AS, but I can't use it because the alcohol makes my face red. Now if they make an alcohol-free balm....

Last edited:
Does AV make a balm? I love the smell of their splash-on AS, but I can't use it because the alcohol makes my face red. Now if they make an alcohol-free balm....

Not to my knowledge. You may want to try Nivea. A lot of people here have a lot of good things to say about it.

:blink:

Son, I believe that's government issue, there. :001_cool:

HAHA. Interesting I spelled it right the first time huh?

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I think my first step will be to replace my witch hazel with an alcohol free version (I think the little alcohol in it might be drying my face out.) I am going to look into all the balms recommended. Thank again.

Just as it was mentioned above - I use witch hazel followed by Proraso balm. Works good for me but of course, YMMV.

I just purchased a jar of the Proraso pre-post shave cream (green tea or something like that) and it looks, smells, and feels like Noxzema to me. It's nothing like the balms and I haven't used it post shave yet to be able to tell how soothing it's going to be. Is it pure coincidence it's so much like Noxzema?

Please let me know how it works out as an AS. I have the original pre/post with menthol (the green tub) and I use it sometimes as a pre shave, but it is simply to strong for me as an AS. It must be the menthol because it actually burns me as an AS.

I like the L'Oreal men's after shave balm, it immediately cools down the burn and if used sparingly isn't too greasy or heavy. Plus, it's cheap and widely available at drugstores.

Top Bottom