Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Help! AS routine is out of control!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Help! AS routine is out of control!

    I need to simplify my AS routine. Without going through everything, here is the deal. I need a good AS balm or Cream to replace my Proraso AS Cream. The Proraso is not cutting it because I have to follow with tons of lotion. I want to skip that step. I need an AS bomb or cream which will be super moisturizing and nourishing while making my face feel good. My only request is that it not be sticky or oily. Is this going to be possible? Is their an industry standard for this type of thing? Thanks guys.......

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gone
    Posts
    252
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    AS bomb


    Son, I believe that's government issue, there.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Montréal, Canada
    Posts
    40,599
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

    Default

    Witch Hazel might do the trick or Skin Food by GFT!
    Cheers, Luc - My Gear(Wiki) - Have a question, PM a mod. That's why we're here!
    Drop by the B&B Video Library Forum

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts
    Posts
    16,476
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    Witch Hazel might do the trick or Skin Food by GFT!
    +1 on the witch hazel. I also use Tend Skin from time to time which does help.http://www.tendskin.com

    Tend Skin is also available from some of the other shave sites.

    Regards,

    Paul

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sitting in the catbird seat
    Posts
    6,149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    So you want something more moisturizing than the Proraso balm?

    A few that spring to mind are D.R. Harris aftershave milk, Saint Charles Shave's "Sahara" aftershave balm, and Musgo Real aftershave balsam (balm)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,583
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images
    91

    Default

    Cade ASB. Use a small amount and dilute it with a couple drops of water and put it on while your face is still damp. If you use too much your face will be greasy.
    Shawn

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Holly Springs, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,098
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I really like the Proraso ASB and think it moisturizes really well. However, PdP's ASB probablys does Proraso 1 better in the moisturizing department.
    Grandson of an Italian barber. Must have this in my blood.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Halifax, N.S.
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I won't recommend a particular brand of aftershave because I cannot use balms or creams, plus others have done a great job already. I will piggyback on others' suggestion of witch hazel.

    Things have gone to another level since I began using Thayers' astringent prior to my aftershave application. While some brands of aftershave kept my face comfortable for half the day, one in particular was slightly drying -- no more.

    For what it's worth, I use the original with aloe.
    [B]Fixed[/B]
    [B]Razor:[/B] Merkur - HD 34C
    [B]Brush:[/B] Vulfix - Pure Badger 1000A (for now)
    [B]Scuttle:[/B] Bonnyman Moss

    [B]Currently using (a.k.a. my quest to try everything)[/B]
    [B]Blade:[/B] Astra - Superior Platinum
    [B]Cream:[/B] Fraser - Oriental Spice
    [B]Aftershave:[/B] Lustray - Spice

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Posts
    12,468
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    So you want something more moisturizing than the Proraso balm?

    ..... Saint Charles Shave's "Sahara" aftershave balm....
    +1 on this. Also Tony Choice is very moisturizing.
    Randall. BOTOC, Excalibur, Hot Sauce Pepper Heads Club

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    El Cerrito, CA
    Posts
    2,064
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    ANY of the SCS balms or milks do a great job, but they are almost TOO effective...you literally need like 3-4 drops, like the label says. My faves are the Savory Rose and Bay Rum with a Twist (both milks, somewhere between a balm and a splash). Waiting on Sue to get me an invoice for a few more now, as a matter of fact (Blue Line splash and balm, Lime splash and milk, Bay Rum balm). SCS =

  11. #11

    Default

    Wesley and Scott Rose balm from shavingessentials is very nice. Art of Shaving Sandalwood is great, but very expensive.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt555 View Post
    I need to simplify my AS routine. Without going through everything, here is the deal. I need a good AS balm or Cream to replace my Proraso AS Cream. The Proraso is not cutting it because I have to follow with tons of lotion. I want to skip that step. I need an AS bomb or cream which will be super moisturizing and nourishing while making my face feel good. My only request is that it not be sticky or oily. Is this going to be possible? Is their an industry standard for this type of thing? Thanks guys.......
    I just purchased a jar of the Proraso pre-post shave cream (green tea or something like that) and it looks, smells, and feels like Noxzema to me. It's nothing like the balms and I haven't used it post shave yet to be able to tell how soothing it's going to be. Is it pure coincidence it's so much like Noxzema?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Have you tried Aqua Velva? Taylor's AS lotions are wonderful in my experience.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xriley View Post
    Have you tried Aqua Velva? Taylor's AS lotions are wonderful in my experience.
    Does AV make a balm? I love the smell of their splash-on AS, but I can't use it because the alcohol makes my face red. Now if they make an alcohol-free balm....
    Last edited by grampi; 01-13-2010 at 10:12 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    679
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    Does AV make a balm? I love the smell of their splash-on AS, but I can't use it because the alcohol makes my face red. Now if they make an alcohol-free balm....
    Not to my knowledge. You may want to try Nivea. A lot of people here have a lot of good things to say about it.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Follicle Genocide View Post


    Son, I believe that's government issue, there.

    HAHA. Interesting I spelled it right the first time huh?

    Thanks guys for the suggestions. I think my first step will be to replace my witch hazel with an alcohol free version (I think the little alcohol in it might be drying my face out.) I am going to look into all the balms recommended. Thank again.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Just as it was mentioned above - I use witch hazel followed by Proraso balm. Works good for me but of course, YMMV.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    2,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grampi View Post
    I just purchased a jar of the Proraso pre-post shave cream (green tea or something like that) and it looks, smells, and feels like Noxzema to me. It's nothing like the balms and I haven't used it post shave yet to be able to tell how soothing it's going to be. Is it pure coincidence it's so much like Noxzema?
    Please let me know how it works out as an AS. I have the original pre/post with menthol (the green tub) and I use it sometimes as a pre shave, but it is simply to strong for me as an AS. It must be the menthol because it actually burns me as an AS.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Palo Alto, under the Dish
    Posts
    13,424
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Images
    31

    Default

    I like the L'Oreal men's after shave balm, it immediately cools down the burn and if used sparingly isn't too greasy or heavy. Plus, it's cheap and widely available at drugstores.
    Just call me Chris.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    732
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xriley View Post
    Not to my knowledge. You may want to try Nivea. A lot of people here have a lot of good things to say about it.
    I guess they do make one:

    http://www.amazon.com/Aqua-Velva-Aft...3418139&sr=8-1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. This is Getting Out of Control
    By NewbieRedux in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2011, 03:03 PM
  2. I have no self control
    By Rancor16 in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 09:26 PM
  3. RAD Control
    By mbrossar in forum General Shaving Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 03:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.