What's new

Pelikan M800 and M215

I am looking to getting a new fountain pen. I like the pelikan m215 lozenge pattern and them m800 demonstrator. I was just wondering if any of you all have any experience with either of these. I really like the m800, but I'm not sure I can justify the extra $300 it costs. Any insights? Thanks.

The M800 is a substantially larger pen, and it's heftier. It also has a higher grade, two-tone nib. Both pens will write very similar, and have identical filling systems, but the 800 is a more substantial writing instrument. If you want to carry it in your pocket all the time, I would probably reccomend the 215, but the 800 is truly a more impressive instrument to write documents with and leave pronounced on your desk.

Awesome, thanks. I should mention I am getting it mostly to take notes at University, write letters, and write in a journal... If that helps.

I use an M805 everyday, and carry it in my right front pants pocket. It's not a collector's item for me - it's meant to be a utilitarian tool. The only part I'm concerned about is the nib.

I can't speak to the 800, but the 215 has been an excellent pen. Great nib! (Mine's in medium.) It's just slightly shorter than I'd like overall, but that hasn't led to fatigue at all.

A knowledgeable pen store salesman warned me away from the demonstrator as an every-day pen because the ink can stain the barrel. That said, I use a standard M600 every day and could not be happier with it.:thumbup:

A knowledgeable pen store salesman warned me away from the demonstrator as an every-day pen because the ink can stain the barrel. That said, I use a standard M600 every day and could not be happier with it.:thumbup:

+1 YMMV. I found the M600 to be a much more practical pen. It is easier to carry and it fit my hand better. The 800 is a large pen.

It all comes down to personal preference.

Remember that Pelikan nibs are easily changed. Unfortunately, I don't think the 215 interchanges with any other model. But the 800 will change with the 625, 700, 900, and 1000 series pens. Of course, this may not make a difference for you.

They should both be able to hold more than enough ink for a day's writing. They should both have excellent nibs. They will both be excellent pens.

So, it comes down to comfort. Which is more comfortable for you? Personally, I find that larger pens are much more comfortable for me. Others prefer smaller pens.

I think that spending more to get what you really want, when its going to last a while, is well worth it. In the end, a fountain pen is something that should last you for several years. For as long as you want it, really. SWMBO is using the pen her grandfather got when he finished his thesis. So, that pen is now on its third generation.

If you're looking for a rationalization to justify spending that much money:

x/(365(years of use))=Daily cost | X=initial cost

Using SWMBO as an example, that pen's been in use for at least 20 years, so:

m215 $109/(20(365))=109/(7300)=$0.015
m800 $354/(20(365))=354/(7300)=$0.048

That's only $0.33 a day difference! That's less than a pack of gum! For only 33 cents a day, wouldn't you rather have the pen you really want?

Is there anything else you need enabled? :devil:

I use a M800 and love it! Two observations: Pelikan nibs seem to run on the broad side (my "medium" tends towards a Cross "broad"), and a fill seems to last longer than my Cross FP's. Of course, the reservoir is hidden on the Pelikan, so its probably larger.

Remember that Pelikan nibs are easily changed. Unfortunately, I don't think the 215 interchanges with any other model. But the 800 will change with the 625, 700, 900, and 1000 series pens.

That's not entirely accurate. The 300, 800 and 1000 nibs won't fit any other pens besides themselves; they are unique to their own series. All other pens (2XX, 4XX, 6XX, 7XX) are interchangable. That's a great feature; for example, you can have one pen, and have a xf, m, and maybe even a flex or italic nib and it's like having lots of different pens for different uses.

I (and many others here) highly reccomend www.RichardsPens.com. My personal choice would be an M600, and after a while, pick up another nib to experiment. That's just my $0.02.

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. To be specific, here is the nib interchangeability from Richard Binder's site(http://www.richardspens.com/):

This nib… …will fit into these pens.
M1xx... M1xx, M2xx, M4xx, M6xx, M7xx Toledo, “1931” and “1935” LEs
M2xx... M2xx, M4xx, M6xx, M7xx Toledo, “1931” and “1935” LEs
M3xx... M3xx
M4xx... M2xx, M4xx, M6xx, M7xx Toledo, “1931” and “1935” LEs
M6xx... M6xx
M7xx Toledo... M2xx, M4xx, M6xx, M7xx Toledo, “1931” and “1935” LEs
M8xx... M8xx, M9xx Toledo
M9xx Toledo... M8xx, M9xx Toledo
M10xx... M10xx
“1931” and “1935” LEs... M2xx, M4xx, M6xx, M7xx Toledo, “1931” and “1935” LEs

Thanks for the reality check. The funny thing is, I have quite a few Pelikans. Maybe its because I rarely change the nibs...

Last edited:
200 is way too small for my large hands. 800 is a much better pen for ME. If you like a small, light pen you may prefer the 200.

I use an M805 everyday, and carry it in my right front pants pocket. It's not a collector's item for me - it's meant to be a utilitarian tool. The only part I'm concerned about is the nib.

What else do you carry in the same pocket? Has the pen body taken much damage?

I have largish hands and I'm very comfortable with my new M215 (Lozenge) with a medium nib. I bought it from Richard.

If you look at his website, on the Pelikan page, at the bottom, you'll see the M215 is slightly larger than the M200, somewhere between an M400 and M600. Also, being made from metal, it's heavier than an M600, but lighter than an M800.

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up ordering a M215 lozenge pattern, and a bottle of noodler's ink!

It all comes down to personal preference.

Remember that Pelikan nibs are easily changed. Unfortunately, I don't think the 215 interchanges with any other model. But the 800 will change with the 625, 700, 900, and 1000 series pens. Of course, this may not make a difference for you.

They should both be able to hold more than enough ink for a day's writing. They should both have excellent nibs. They will both be excellent pens.

So, it comes down to comfort. Which is more comfortable for you? Personally, I find that larger pens are much more comfortable for me. Others prefer smaller pens.

I think that spending more to get what you really want, when its going to last a while, is well worth it. In the end, a fountain pen is something that should last you for several years. For as long as you want it, really. SWMBO is using the pen her grandfather got when he finished his thesis. So, that pen is now on its third generation.

If you're looking for a rationalization to justify spending that much money:

x/(365(years of use))=Daily cost | X=initial cost

Using SWMBO as an example, that pen's been in use for at least 20 years, so:

m215 $109/(20(365))=109/(7300)=$0.015
m800 $354/(20(365))=354/(7300)=$0.048

That's only $0.33 a day difference! That's less than a pack of gum! For only 33 cents a day, wouldn't you rather have the pen you really want?

Is there anything else you need enabled? :devil:

Nice enabling! But, to my math, that's only about 3 1/2 cents a day difference. Even better!

I have the M600 F nib, as well as a few M200s XF. The XF nibs on the M200 are actually smoother and nicer than the M600, but I got the M200s from Richard Binder and they were 'Binderized' before he shipped them while the M600 was as it left the factory. It seems to make a big difference, and Richard's pens were cheaper than many other places. I'm not sure if he did it on purpose, but if I use it upside down the M200 nibs write XXF and just as smooth as right side up!:w00t:

Nice enabling! But, to my math, that's only about 3 1/2 cents a day difference. Even better!

I have the M600 F nib, as well as a few M200s XF. The XF nibs on the M200 are actually smoother and nicer than the M600, but I got the M200s from Richard Binder and they were 'Binderized' before he shipped them while the M600 was as it left the factory. It seems to make a big difference, and Richard's pens were cheaper than many other places. I'm not sure if he did it on purpose, but if I use it upside down the M200 nibs write XXF and just as smooth as right side up!:w00t:

I hate it when I drop a zero! :cursing:

And I agree, Richard Binder is the man! His prices are not only good, but if you're getting a pen or nib from him, you know its going to be good.

Top Bottom