What's new

Pocket Watch, Wrist Watch, or Cell Phone

What do you gents find yourselves using to check the time the most frequently? Since I'm not dressed in business formal attire for my current job, I usually just stick with my wrist watch, but I would love to get a nice pocket watch and chain to go with my dress clothes whenever I get a better job soon. The only time I check the time on a cell phone is when I'm setting my alarm (I can't envision ever NOT wearing a real watch).

Last edited:
What do you gents find yourselves using to check the time the most frequently? Since I'm not dressed in business formal attire for my current job, I usually just stick with my wrist watch, but I would love to get a nice pocket watch and chain to go with my dress clothes whenever I get a better job soon. The only time I check the time on a cell phone is when I'm setting my alarm (I can't envision ever NOT wearing a real watch).

I stopped wearing a wrist-watch about 20 years ago. I've tried a few in the intervening decades, but just can't find one that's comfortable.

Now, I check the time on my cell-phone. When I don't have it with me, I don't miss it, and I can still keep fairly good track with my "Bio-clock" and correctly guess the time within 15 minutes or so.

I used to wear a watch every day in grade school (not that long ago).
Then I got a little irritated with it and started carrying it in my pocket.
Then finally, I was given a pocket watch (battery powered, unfortunately) just after high school. I always had the problem that nothing had a proper place to put it.

I wound up just using my cell phone for a long time, but have a watch that was my dad's that I like a lot. It's a round men's watch by Rumours with a blue face and gold hands and numbers. I really like it.
My only issue with it is that I have to adjust it several times a day as I exercise, walk, sit, or get warm or hot because my arm swells or shrinks.
I really like the way it looks and enjoy it as an accessory and a piece of art.

William

I wear a nice wrist watch for work, going out etc. Dressed Business casual and up. If I am just bumming around I just use my cell phone.

I think a nice looking watch is a piece of required attire for a man in a more formal setting.

Wrist watches are man jewelry. Functional man-jewelry, but man-jewelry nonetheless.

Successful men should wear watches to show off how successful they are. Or you can downplay it and just use your cellphone since your carrying one anyway.

But this is the haberdashery, and fine watches are part of living the good life. Use a watch with a nice movement and aesthetics you truly appreciate.

I wore wrist watches up until I began to have carpal tunnel symptoms in my left wrist. Since I'd already had carpal and cubital tunnel surgeries on my right arm, I figured giving up a wrist watch was the least of my problems.

These days I use my cell phone as a watch and if that's inconvenient, I can find the time displayed in just about any place I look.

These days I mostly check my phone. I hate it.

I have a nice Seiko that was actually my wedding gift from my wife. I love it, but it's battery powered and the battery has died and I'm too lazy to go get it replaced for free. I didn't know about automatic watches at the time, except Kinetic, and those were a lot more expensive. Otherwise I would have told her to get me an automatic. Especially since this is my only "nice" watch and I only wear it for family events or get together or going out, etc.

I had a Fossil that I wore daily that again, the battery went out on and I've never had it replaced. After the Seiko, I don't think I could ever wear a Fossil again. It just feels so cheap.

I've thought about getting a cheaper automatic Seiko for daily wear, but I'm a computer programmer and honestly half the time I would take my watch off. Maybe it's a metal bracelet thing, but it just wasn't comfortable while typing at a desk.

I've been thinking of trying a pocket watch, but all the ones I have are cheap groomsmen gifts that again, need batteries. And I don't understand why all my pants have the watch pocket on the right side, and yet you're supposed to open it with your left hand. If I could find a simple wind/auto (do auto exist?) pocket watch that would be awesome, nothing ornate.

Wrist watches are man jewelry. Functional man-jewelry, but man-jewelry nonetheless.

Successful men should wear watches to show off how successful they are. Or you can downplay it and just use your cellphone since your carrying one anyway.

But this is the haberdashery, and fine watches are part of living the good life. Use a watch with a nice movement and aesthetics you truly appreciate.

I would like to think that anyone who appreciates the difference between shaving in 5 minutes with a Fusion/canned goo and shaving for 30 minutes with a DE/brush/soap, would also appreciate the difference between using a cell phone to tell time and sporting a fine automatic watch.

I would like to think that anyone who appreciates the difference between shaving in 5 minutes with a Fusion/canned goo and shaving for 30 minutes with a DE/brush/soap, would also appreciate the difference between using a cell phone to tell time and sporting a fine automatic watch.

I agree Neil. My wrist watch is not only jewelry, it's a tool of my trade. I use my watch to keep up with billable hours that I invoice my clients.

Wrist watch, I have quite a few of these. Generally I have my iPhone with me, but it's simpler to flip my wrist than to pull something out of a pocket. I'd have the same problem with a pocket watch.

Or since I spend much of my workday in front of a computer, I just glance at the corner of the screen where the time is.

wrist watch. i haven't had a cell phone the past year (location) and i've come to heavily rely on my suunto.

Pardon me, do you have the time?

"Ten to"
"Ten to what?"
"Time to tend to your own business"

(Movie quote but I forget which one. Maybe TV show.)

Oh yes, I use my cell phone. I also use the cell phone as a night light and was a bit chagrined to see that as a joke in The Office"!

Last edited:
Wrist watch, only. I carry a cell phone and it does function as a clock, but it is much simpler to just glance at my wrist. A watch looks better, too.

Tim

Top Bottom