What's new

NYC Meet-Up and Potlatch Gathering 1/29

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attention all NYC B&B-ers:

After three years of this great hobby, I am left with a few things I no longer use or need, and instead of selling these modest items on B/S/T I've decided to give them away in the spirit of the potlatch ceremony (see definition below).

My fiancee is going out of town the weekend of 1/29, which leaves me solo that Friday night. I propose that we meet up at one of my favorite midtown watering holes, Rattle and Hum on 14 East 33rd Street (right near the Empire State Building):

http://rattlenhumbar.wordpress.com/

I will have a few things to give away:

-various blades that I've tried and no longer use (I'm sticking with Red Packs and Dorco ST-301s_
-half a bottle of Spanish Floid (maybe we'll have to raffle this off)
-1/4 bottle of Dominica Bay Rum
-a slightly used cake of Provence Sante
-my own homemade tallow shaving soap, which I prefer to any other soap on the market
-some of my homemade regular bath soap bars
-anything else I can think of

After reading everyone's posts for years, I'd really enjoy some fellow B&B-ers in person. Maybe we can post some photos on Facebook, and if you guys have anything you'd like to give away you can follow suit.

I will be at Rattle and Hum at 6:00 on Friday, January 29th. Let me know if I should look out for you - it will be a lot of fun. Best,

Jim

Potlatch:
The potlatch is a festival or ceremony practiced among Indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest Coast. At these gatherings a family or hereditary leader hosts guests in their family's house and holds a feast for their guests. The main purpose of the potlatch is the re-distribution and reciprocity of wealth. Typically the potlatching is practiced more in the winter seasons as historically the warmer months were for procuring wealth for the family, clan, or village, then coming home and sharing that with neighbors and friends.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it. I'll be at a company retreat in Rockland County, which isn't much of a retreat for me since I live in Rockland County. :001_rolle I hope you get a great turnout. There are quite a lot of us NY/NJ members. :thumbup1:

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it. I'll be at a company retreat in Rockland County, which isn't much of a retreat for me since I live in Rockland County. :001_rolle I hope you get a great turnout. There are quite a lot of us NY/NJ members. :thumbup1:

You live in Rockland? So do I :thumbup:

As for the meet, I might be interested in some beers in NYC :001_smile

I may be able to make it. I'll have to see how things are looking as the date approaches.

Thanks for setting this up.

That's either a great weekend for me, or an awful one...I'll let you know as soon as I can. Thanks for setting it up!

Beer :w00t: is always a good excuse to get out for an evening. Will see if I can make it!

Thanks for setting it up!

Evan

I'm going to try to make it, though I need to see how my schedule is as the day nears.
Looking forward to putting some faces to names!

Cool idea.

If I can get the afternoon off and I don't have band practice, I'm in. I have a trial that week, so I'll have to play it by ear.

Alas, I'm too far away to make it, but bonus points for the anthropological reference! :thumbup:

My brother went to University of Virginia and during the Midwinters sessions down in Charlottesville one of the fraternities would have a potlatch ceremony, where they would climb up on the roof of the house and throw new stuff (walkmen, CDs, etc.) to the crowd waiting below. It seemed like a crazy thing to do - anyway, NYC has a great Museum of the American Indian (a Smithsonian museum) and they have a big exhibit on the tribes of the Northwest and their potlatch traditions.

I'm glad a few of you are thinking of coming - let's keep in touch as the date approaches - you won't be disappointed with Rattle n' Hum, it's a great place.

Jim? Ray? Bob? Will any of you gents be attending?

I hope they do. Then instead of just relying on what you post, you too can get a custom title, based on what you said, taken totally out of context, after imbibing a few potent liquid libations. :biggrin1:

Can a newbie come? Newbie to wetshaving, unfortunately. Beer, not so much.

I would have suspected B&Bers to tend toward a place like the Campbell Apartment (which, incidentally, makes a crap Old Fashioned). All the more reason to meet up in person.

...I might be in the area during that time! Not sure as of now but I am in the city and I check my bag, I will have to tote some Mandom to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom