What's new

Teavana

Most tea folks really despise Teavana, and equate it to Starbucks for coffee.

With one added bonus feature. The bad business model, and the slick sales pitch designed to extract as much money from you as possible without you even being aware.

So do you have any suggestions on great teas for me to look into?

Most tea folks really despise Teavana, and equate it to Starbucks for coffee.

With one added bonus feature. The bad business model, and the slick sales pitch designed to extract as much money from you as possible without you even being aware.

Teavana does have very pushy sales people and their tea 2 - 4 times more expensive than what you can find in other online shops.
I have purchased tea from Teazonline. I am sure there are others who may have used other online teatailors.

Also I have had great success on ebay purchasing tea (green & white) directly from China.

Try Harney & Sons teas. They've been at this game longer than Teavana, are selling teas not the flavor of the week and are good to deal with.

We have one at my local mall as well. They are not cheap, but they are convenient and they seem to do a brisk (brisk, get it?) enough business that their teas are fresh. The staff has always been very nice to me, but that is irrelevant unless you are going to the same store I go to (Roosevelt Field, LI, NY).

Of course, I'm no tea expert -- and I also like Starbucks. :biggrin:

We have one at my local mall as well. They are not cheap, but they are convenient and they seem to do a brisk (brisk, get it?) enough business that their teas are fresh. The staff has always been very nice to me, but that is irrelevant unless you are going to the same store I go to (Roosevelt Field, LI, NY).

Of course, I'm no tea expert -- and I also like Starbucks. :biggrin:

Know the mall and store well from when I lived in Merrick almost 5 years ago. That was one of the first stores that they opened after launching in Atlanta. Good to see that the folks on Long Island are buying tea.

I'll put it this way... I stopped by there before Christmas to find a gift for my mom, since she is interested in tea. When the saleslady showed me a gift box they had with 6 canisters of tea, lined with satin, for $150, I thought she was crazy. Then she mentioned that "the teas range from $3-$18 an ounce. That's when I realized she wanted to charge me $150 for a BOX, without any tea in it, and then an extra $50+ to put an actual product in it.

When I mentioned the fact that I thought she might possible be insane, she tried to sell me the Zojirushi water heater for $220. For hot water....

And on top of all that, she spoke with an obviously fake British accent the whole time, as if to validate her "expertise". Either way, I will never step foot in there again.

If Monster Cable made drinks, they would sell them at Teavana...

I'll put it this way... I stopped by there before Christmas to find a gift for my mom, since she is interested in tea. When the saleslady showed me a gift box they had with 6 canisters of tea, lined with satin, for $150, I thought she was crazy. Then she mentioned that "the teas range from $3-$18 an ounce. That's when I realized she wanted to charge me $150 for a BOX, without any tea in it, and then an extra $50+ to put an actual product in it.

When I mentioned the fact that I thought she might possible be insane, she tried to sell me the Zojirushi water heater for $220. For hot water....

And on top of all that, she spoke with an obviously fake British accent the whole time, as if to validate her "expertise". Either way, I will never step foot in there again.

If Monster Cable made drinks, they would sell them at Teavana...

Axe to grind? :lol:

Actually, no. It really is a horrible tea shop. There isn't a single thing involving tea that they do correctly.

I was referring to the totally unwarranted Monster Cable metaphor. :laugh:

I don't have enough expertise in tea to defend or condemn Teavana -- I simply reported that my experience there was not unpleasant, even though I knew I was overpaying. Stating in conclusory fashion that it's "horrible" doesn't really shed any light, BTW. :001_smile

Last edited:
I was referring to the totally unwarranted Monster Cable metaphor. :laugh:

I don't have enough expertise in tea to defend or condemn Teavana -- I simply reported that my experience there was not unpleasant, even though I knew I was overpaying. Stating in conclusory fashion that it's "horrible" doesn't really shed any light, BTW. :001_smile

I looked at the suggestions given, I wanted to ask what is Pu-Erh? And can I just get REALLY good green tea? Or even white tea? I just want something tasty with plenty of anti oxidants. I sampled this http://www.teavana.com/The-Teas/Mate-Teas/Mat-Vana-Herbal-Tea.axd at the Teavana store and REALLY REALLY liked it, is there anything out there similar to this? I don't need something super flavorful but this I really enjoyed. I would appreciate any tips!

Last edited:
I looked at the suggestions given, I wanted to ask what is Pu-Erh? And can I just get REALLY good green tea? Or even white tea? I just want something tasty with plenty of anti oxidants. I sampled this http://www.teavana.com/The-Teas/Mate-Teas/Mat-Vana-Herbal-Tea.axd at the Teavana store and REALLY REALLY liked it, is there anything out there similar to this? I don't need something super flavorful but this I really enjoyed. I would appreciate any tips!

It's basically roasted yerba mate with added flavorings/aromatics (natural).

If you want quality tea, message Steve aka netsufr from jase-tea. I would recommend getting a simple gaiwan, a strainer, and samples of a variety of teas. This will get you started and point you in the right direction to which teas you will enjoy.

Problem for me is I happen to like almost any tea. :blushing:

I'll agree with avoiding Teavana. Ridiculously overpriced. For non-pu'er tea, I have always had great success with Harney and Specialteas.

I think the tea is alright. Overpriced? Absolutly but their travel glass tea thingys are worth it. I usually get stuff from in pursuit of tea.

Last edited:
Top Bottom