What's new

Good News Bad News

I have a little good news/bad news. The Bad news: Last night as I prepared to shave I was soaking my brush and had just opened and squeezed out a sample of T&H 1805. As I shook out the brush, bam the badger head flew off and left me holding an empty handle. This was quite upsetting because I am new to wet shaving and had just recieved the Merkur Futur 4 piece set 3 weeks ago. Hopefully the vendor will give me a refund and then I can purchase the futur razor and a different brush.

Ok the good news: I had been debating if I should purchase the B&B brush. That's been decided for me, now which handle and badger hair will i choose? I also liked the smell of 1805 so much I'll have to pick up a tub.

The attachment is a picture of the busted brush. I couldn't figure out how to paste the picture.

That had to suck!! I'd be on the phone with the vendor Monday morning......but I'd still go ahead and order the B&B brush!:yesnod:

That's really a shame... I kind of wondered about the quality of those Futur set brushes. Seconding Jerry on the B&B brush... whatareyouwaitingfor?!? :)

I really like the futur. It has a heavy feel to it and it is adjustable. I'm still learning what settings and what blades I like with it, the IP's been working pretty good. You can really hear the razor cutting the hair though. I have had no cuts with this razor and I am only a month into wetshaving (therefore not much knowledge to compare it to accept the M3, which sucked) Only real advice is stay away from the futur brush. Still really disappointed I liked the stand and soap bowl that came with it. Oh well the only real thing left is to buy 5 new brushes and razors to replace the futur.

kburke532;

Sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with your Futur brush. I would surmise that it's not a problem with every single brush that they put out. In Quality Control for most companies, there's only random sampling of the product where you're talking about mass production. I really doubt that someone at Merkur chose you as a target.

I've had negative experiences with other products which I've had shipped to me. Paints, glues, and resins can all have a failure rate due to what is known as exposure to a "hostile" environment. That environment is the cargo hold of an airplane... which is not temperature-controlled, nor pressure-controlled. So, the "hostile" environment is actually created by the extreme changes that take place between the time a plane takes off, and when it lands.

If you like the Futur razor, why not just have the brush replaced? I'm sure that your vendor will do a check on the new brush, to make sure that your experience was random.

Anyways, just throwin' my two cents into the ring. I hope that everything is resolved, and that you'll be happy with the decision that you've made!

chop-chop

I sort of know how you may feel. I purchased a new Muhle Pinsel silvertip shave brush with the faux ivory handle & it kept shedding around 5 hairs per each shave. The vendor stood behind his products & I exchanged it for a Muhle-Pinsel silvertip badger hair brush with a nickel base on the ebony handle. It has only shed a few hairs. At first, I really wanted to get the same set you have but this shows that anything man made is not perfect.
Scotty
Muhle-Pinsel makes some great shave brushes!

Here is the reply I recieved from the vendor:

Thank you for contacting us. Please accept our apologies for the state of the brush, which clearly is the result of a manufacturing defect. This is the first we’ve ever heard of such a thing happening to a Futur brush, and in fact each brush carries a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty. We cannot accept the return of the razor, which would violate public health regulations in most states and provinces, but we will gladly replace the brush, at our expense.

This works for me as I did like the futur brush and the set as a whole. Still going to buy the B&B brush though!

Good to see they are standing behind their product and taking care of the customer. Too many companies today are not willing to to that and have books full of resaons they don't have to honor their warranties..

Nice to read a happy ending to this story.

BTW, do you find that Marvis toothpaste makes a good lather? I have had a bit or trouble whipping it up, but it does leave a nice tingling feel. :wink:

Cheers,

Top Bottom