What's new

Red Wing work boots

Looking for a good overall work boot. These boots won't be used in extreme envrionments (ie. constuction expsosure to oil/gas etc.). I want a boot that will be comfortable to stand/kneel/squat in for long periods (8-12 hours). A boot that will give good ankle support but will not be too hot. NO STEEL TOES. The tech toe could be a consideration because if I understand their marketing correcly they don't cut down on the toe box internal volume. Waterproof isn't necessarily a requirement. I'm leaning to a 6" boot, but like the appearance (on a computer monitor) of the Porter Chukka. I have a short list I'm considering, but would like to hear some feedback from existing users.

Some specific talking points might be USA vs China made boots. The WORX line. What is that about?

I have always had good luck with Herman Survivors. I have one pair that has made several trips to Wyoming hunting. At the end of the day (14 + hours) my feet feel great, but i am beat. They are also accepted by the American Podiactric Medical Association. Only boots I have every seen with this endorsement. I have been through many brands, but always come back to these. As a side note, you can ususally pick them up at Walmart for about 1/3 what you would pay at a boot store. Good luck on the search, Larry

I have had only one pair of Red Wings these:

proxy.php

I do like mine, however with boots, as with most shoes its a fairly significant manner of fit, style etc, not neccesarily name brand. I've heard good things about Chippewa as well as Georgia boots, not to mention Danner, Wolverine, etc. All are good boots IMO, just depends on the style and fit you want.

As for Red Wings, I definitely prefer the american made boots, from what I've see in comparison they seem to be built significantly better, i.e. better quality leather, better and more stiching etc. Though the price difference on the chinese models are certainly worth looking at. I got mine to be a casual boot as well as something to wear for my occasional forays in to DIY home stuff. I can definetly say they are quite comfortable to wear all day in hot weather w/o too much of a problem, also dang near the best thing I've seen for climbing and standing on a ladder all day, as they have quite stiff soles.
Being the 8 inchers they have plenty of support but are a major PIA to take on and off, When I put them on, they stay on all day.

The ones you're looking at appear to be made in the USA, they do have stiched soles (which seems to be a trademark of being made here). Looks to me like a nice shoe/boot to wear for what you're looking for.
Otherwise for myself I'd take a look at the classic lifestyles:
proxy.php

or these:

proxy.php

Top Bottom