What's new

Creed / Royal Scottish Lavender - wonderfully complex

Creed / Royal Scottish Lavender

Summary:
A softer, slightly sweet woods and spice scent with a masculine lavender accord.​

Fragrance strength:
Eau de Toilette (EdT) containing 5-15% aromatic compounds.​

Classification:
Fougère; a classic "barbershop" scent with prominent lavender and coumarin (Tonka Bean, which gives it the vanilla base note).​

Year of creation and history:
1856; two years after Creed moved their fragrance operations to Paris. Reported to have been reformulated in 1975.

Interestingly, Royal Scottish Lavender came out 26 *years* before "Fougère Royale" was composed by Paul Parquet for Houbigant (the fougère genre was named after Fougère Royale - which was considered a landmark in scent design). Additionally, there are all sorts of urban myths on the web about how Royal Scottish Lavender was commissioned by the future King George VI in 1900 while he was still HRH Prince of Wales, when this scent was actually created decades before he was born.

As to whether Queen Victoria wore Creed's Royal Scottish Lavender - who knows? She *was* reputed to be a lavender enthusiast and wore so much of it that the "smelling like an old lady" tag still haunts some strong lavender scents to this day, but I cannot find anything to firmly backup the claim that she wore Royal Scottish Lavender. Certainly the royal warrant that Creed uses in their scent marketing was from Queen Victoria's "Mistress of the Robes", but it's dated from 1885 - 29 years after Royal Scottish Lavender was initially produced.​

Designer and marketing description:
Creed; "a fine lavender middle note topped by citrus and bergamot upon a foundation of vanilla, sandalwood and spices."​

Liquid:
Clear, light blond in tone; it should not stain clothing if sprayed upon (not tested in this review).​

Packaging:
Creed's standard 75 ml clear bottle with gold highlights and a gray sculpted cap, enclosed in Creed's standard white crest-embossed box with pamphlet and card.​

Scent notes:
  • Top: Citrus, bergamot
  • Middle: Lavender
  • Base: Vanilla, sandalwood and spicy notes

Development:
Royal Scottish Lavender opens with a bright bergamot and citrus top note, transitions into a moderate lavender and clove combination, which then segues into a soft, slightly sweet, lightly spicy woods and vanilla accord that has a clear lavender note in a subdued supporting role - at least on my skin. I also have some on a test strip as I'm writing this and the paper is retaining the lavender heart note *much* better than the sample on the back of my hand, so it's likely to vary widely with different skin types.

If one *doesn't* lust for a heady smack-you-in-the-face lavender scent, or feels that lavender is a bit too "pretty" to be the primary note in a male scent - then Royal Scottish Lavender may very well fit the bill. It is truly a wonderfully refined "barbershop" style scent that invites feminine company to come closer and get acquainted. The typical Creed house-note of cool ambergris is evident in the dry down - rising at one point to brief prominence - but is far more restrained than with many of their other offerings. It does not contain any of the rougher animalistic notes of other niche houses. There is clove in the middle note dry down, but it's not pungent and helps to carry the impression of lavender much longer than it ordinarily would. At the far end of the dry down the vanilla becomes more prominent with a lavender and woods tapestry that take turns weaving in and out of focus.

Much more complex and interesting than most of the modern Creed's, and it contains one of the best lavender notes I've ever experienced.​

Longevity:
About 5 to 6 hours on my skin.​

Sillage:
Low to low-average for me; invites a closer smell by others.​

Number of wearings for this review:
3 times over the course of a week.​

Amount applied for this review:
One drop on the back of my hand and one on a test paper strip.​

Pros:
One of the very few "barbershop" scents that doesn't give me a dull headache. Very refined and nice to smell throughout the entire dry down.​

Cons:
Low sillage, high cost. Not a *pure* lavender scent, as implied by the name.​

Cindy’s rating:
N/A (she doesn't do lavender, cloves or sandalwood).​

My rating:
9/10 - a lovely scent. The more I smell Royal Scottish Lavender the better I like it and wish I had no restrictions about wearing this scent around the house.​

Bottom Line:
A must try for anyone that likes lavender, fougères or "barbershop" scents.​

Comparative Creed scents:
Green Valley​

Similar scents by other houses:
N/A​

Internet links:

Price:
MSRP - $175 2.5 oz / 75 ml spray. $109 from Scentiments.​

Purchasing sources:
Neiman Marcus retail stores
Creed
Scentiments

Mitch, that's a fantastic review. I love lavender and have been thinking about getting this. I want to replace my Caldey Abbey aftershave, then this is on my list.

This & C&S's Oxford & Cambridge are my 2 favorite lavenders. Thanks so much for the great review!

I have a small decant. I like it a lot. Very clean.

Longevity a bit weak. It's kind of light on the lavender after an hour or so.
More expensive barbershop than lavender as Bob says.

But still pleasant and wearable scent nonetheless.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the positive comments, guys!

I should note that I *did* actually run the scent past Cindy at about the 6 hour mark, but she recoiled and gave a sharp thumbs-down to it. I asked her to describe what she smelled and she replied that she was "getting waves of lavender from it", when at the time it had died down to a really light, pleasant scent for me.

I like it but others seemingly do not. One time I wore it to work and a guy kept walking around telling others "someone smells like they've been digging in the hamper for dirty clothes".

Needless to say, I never wore it to work again.

I like it but others seemingly do not. One time I wore it to work and a guy kept walking around telling others "someone smells like they've been digging in the hamper for dirty clothes".

Needless to say, I never wore it to work again.

Come on Kouros! Tomorrow, half a dozen sprays of RSL, then slap the hammer lock on your co-worker until he says Uncle! A Creed lover must not be denied!

I am amused that someone who obviously must like Kouros gets in trouble for wearing RSL. I can't imagine a more innocuous scent.

Sounds interesting but way beyond my budget ATM.

Ordered a bottle of Atkinsons Lavender to get my lavender fix. Hopefully its as good as everyone says.

So you went away from buying full-sized bottles, too bad for us:lol:
No, I only purchased full bottles of the stuff that Cindy initially gave high marks, as I've found that samples can really smell different from full bottles of fresh juice. So the full bottles were used to refine the selection process down further, and yes - there were some surprises when the fresh juice was applied.

Had I known the bottles would depreciate so much - especially the Creed - I would have gotten large decants instead. Oh, well - live and learn.

As far as Creed goes, I now have samples or decants of almost every scent they've brought to market in the past two decades, including the women's line. I'm hoping I can find a scent that Cindy would like to wear on special occasions.

Top Bottom