What's new

Kingsley Shaving Soap. . .Do You Have Any Background On It?

I just came a cross a small puck of a shaving soap called Kingsley. Does anyone know anything about it. . .origin, suppliers, experience with using it?

Thanks!

I'm surprised at the responses so far. Kingsley performs well for me. It face lathers easily enough and has decent slickness and cushioning. A somewhat strong, soapy smell. It's cheap, made in Taiwan, and the box has no information about what is in the formulation. I would like to know more about this soap.

Kingsley Shave Soap is made in China and distributed by Harry D. Koenig & Co., East Rockaway, NY. It has a pleasant lye soap smell and it currently has residence in my shave mug. Most cake soaps do not lather thickly like creams and gels, but will provide a smooth shave nonetheless, provided it is a quality formulation. The ingredients are thus: Sodium palmitate, sodium palm kernelate, water, glycerine, sodium chloride, fragrance, sodium benzoate, tocopherol acetate, tetrasodium EDTA, tetrasodium etidronate. This is the formulation as of September 15, 2011, the date of manufacture on the box I am using currently. I hope this helps.

Kingsley Shave Soap is made in China and distributed by Harry D. Koenig & Co., East Rockaway, NY. It has a pleasant lye soap smell and it currently has residence in my shave mug. Most cake soaps do not lather thickly like creams and gels, but will provide a smooth shave nonetheless, provided it is a quality formulation.
I ran across some, and it was very inexpensive. Probably in a 99 cents store or Dollar Store. I do not find the scent it starts with to be at all acceptable, and will soak it in a cloned lesser-priced version of Aqua Velva to see if the objectionable (IMO) stink can be overcome.

Damn.I have never seen a shave soap in any of the local dollar stores.They have some interesting tubes of gels and non-lathering creams.But never pucks of shave soap.

Damn.I have never seen a shave soap in any of the local dollar stores.They have some interesting tubes of gels and non-lathering creams.But never pucks of shave soap.
It's not a normal puck, either. Instead of a basically flat disk, with an indentation on its top side, like VDH, it's semi-spheroid, like a partly flattened half of a ball shape. It's about the normal diameter, and roughly about the same thickness at the center, but the total mass is at least one third smaller than ordinary "hard" shave soaps. I was looking for Concord or Lord branded Chinese DEs in any of a half dozen similar stores not that far from home when I saw it. There was advertising for shave brushes and after shave of some sort, on a store display (pop-up lid on the shipping box), but nothing else from Kingsley in whichever store it was that I ran across it.

I think it was probably the one that also offers some used clothing and other goods, Thrift Shop style.

It's not a normal puck, either. Instead of a basically flat disk, with an indentation on its top side, like VDH, it's semi-spheroid, like a partly flattened half of a ball shape. It's about the normal diameter, and roughly about the same thickness at the center, but the total mass is at least one third smaller than ordinary "hard" shave soaps. I was looking for Concord or Lord branded Chinese DEs in any of a half dozen similar stores not that far from home when I saw it. There was advertising for shave brushes and after shave of some sort, on a store display (pop-up lid on the shipping box), but nothing else from Kingsley in whichever store it was that I ran across it.

I think it was probably the one that also offers some used clothing and other goods, Thrift Shop style.

The half moon shape is designed to fit into a shaving scuttle. I have a puck of Kingsley for my scuttle, but I have yet to use it. The Yardley's takes precedent.

I'm surprised at the responses so far. Kingsley performs well for me. It face lathers easily enough and has decent slickness and cushioning. A somewhat strong, soapy smell. It's cheap, made in Taiwan, and the box has no information about what is in the formulation. I would like to know more about this soap.

I wouldn't call the odor "Soapy". I would describe it as a "Stink".

Tomorrow starts a 3017 run with this puck. The scent is actually sandalwood to my nose now. Not expecting much. This puck is available at Amazon and Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

It's funny, I think this is the thread that brought me here for the first time. Since it is back, I'll drop my .02 sense. I bought this soap because the local drug store was out of Williams, which I had been using. After two days of disappointment, I decided to see if Kingsley soap was better or worse than woods of Windsor, which was the other soap in the store, but quite a bit more expensive. I still have nearly a full puck of kingsley, but the woods of Windsor is long gone.

Long story with no plot, good luck with the kingsley.....

I bought a puck of Naturally by Kingsley from Amazon recently as an add-on to a few other things I was picking up. I like it the least of everything I have tried, which is pretty limited admittedly (Williams, Wilkinson Sword tub, Proraso Green, Col Conk Lime, Bay Rum, Almond, and Amber, Arko stick, and a little Razorock sample from a buddy). I'm trying to 3017 it but have to have a cheat day or two each week. I cannot seem to get a decent lather out of the puck, at least that lasts >1min. :( Any suggestions?

Top Bottom