What's new

Any issues with soaking the razor in rubbing alcohol?

I used to keep my Mach 3 sitting in a little glass of alcohol to preserve the blade, and I've been contemplating doing the same with the DE. Are there any problems that the rubbing alcohol would cause to a normal nickel plated razor?

it should be fine, but I wouldnt expect it to make the blade last any longer.

In days of yore, when blades were carbon this may have worked. But newfangled PTFE blades are already coated, so the rubbing alco wont actually get to the metal. Plus even on an old carbon steel blade, I would only expect you to be able to fenagle out another single shave or so before the blade is degraded too much by the hairs it cuts.

Watch out for plastic parts! I cleaned a 50's Schick injector and the handle got tacky - buffing repaired the sheen - and have to wonder what the alcohol would do to any paint on the razor - like the filled in numbers. I dip only the head area of a metal razor in alcohol to sterilize, and use dish soap to clean the rest.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
it should be fine, but I wouldnt expect it to make the blade last any longer.

In days of yore, when blades were carbon this may have worked. But newfangled PTFE blades are already coated, so the rubbing alco wont actually get to the metal. Plus even on an old carbon steel blade, I would only expect you to be able to fenagle out another single shave or so before the blade is degraded too much by the hairs it cuts.

+1

Won't hurt, but won't do you any good either.
The savings from extending a $ 0.12 blade life by 1 or 2 shaves will be eaten up by constantly replacing evaporating alcohol.

I wouldn't bother with it. A good rinse after the shave, a couple of shakes, then hang it on your razor holder to dry. That should do it and prevent any problems.

The only thing extra that I do is after I've rinsed the razor, I'll loosen the head a couple of turns so that the blade is loose, and rinse again to make sure I've washed all the lather/stubble out. Then the couple of shakes, and hang it up. :thumbup1:

This is a timely thread for me..

I just picked up some Barbicide at Sally's. I don't want, or have a need for the solution to be constantly available on the countertop, so I just mixed up enough to submerge the head of the razor only for disinfection purposes.
I completely cut the lid of an old soup can and mixed 4 ml of Barbicide to 1/2 cup of water.. a 32/1 solution. This amount allows for only the razor head to be submerged, which I do for fifteen minutes each. This protects the rest of the razor and any areas that contain paint.
After all the razors receive their periodic dousing, I toss the Barbicide solution, and put the soup can in the recycling bin.
Everything is clean, and less clutter on the already cluttered countertop...

It works for me..

Last edited:
I dunk my razor and blade in 91% alcohol for 5-10 minutes after shaving, then remove them and let them dry in a completely different room.

This is a timely thread for me..

I just picked up some Barbicide at Sally's. I don't want, or have a need for the solution to be constantly available on the countertop, so I just mixed up enough to submerge the head of the razor only for disinfection purposes.
I completely cut the lid of an old soup can and mixed 4 ml of Barbicide to 1/2 cup of water.. a 32/1 solution. This amount allows for only the razor head to be submerged, which I do for fifteen minutes each. This protects the rest of the razor and any areas that contain paint.
After all the razors receive their periodic dousing, I toss the Barbicide solution, and put the soup can in the recycling bin.
Everything is clean, and less clutter on the already cluttered countertop...

It works for me..

Sorry, I dont quite understand. Why would the razors within your regular rotation need disinfection?

I dunk my razor and blade in 91% alcohol for 5-10 minutes after shaving, then remove them and let them dry in a completely different room.

Does it make a difference in blade life for you?

Sorry, I dont quite understand. Why would the razors within your regular rotation need disinfection?

Does it make a difference in blade life for you?

I have a few new to me vintage razors that needed sanitizing before initial use. Since the solution was mixed up, I might as well do them all before tossing the solution.
I'm cheap, so I like to feel as though I'm getting my money's worth from the Barbicide solution... But at 4 ml per use, it should last a loooong time! :001_smile

I just swirl my razor around in some ol' 91% alcohol for a few seconds myself. I do this prior to shaving (after I hand strop the blade) to kill any critters, and I do it after I shave, after I've cleaned the razor (and hand stropped again) and reassembled. This second one is to help dry the razor thoroughly by allowing the alcohol to displace the water and dry faster. I think the FIRST (preshave) swishing is most effective - I used to get little pimples all the time after a shave, but since I started doing this it has cut down on them significantly...there's a lot of crud that can breed on your razor between shaves (and I'm an "every other day" shaver). As for prolonging blade life, I don't think it does at all, in this day and age of stainless steel disposable blades. Even without alcohol bathing, you're only going to keep a blade around for a few shaves...it's not like you use the same one for a month or two, and keep it stored in the shower where it constantly gets wet...

Last edited:
Nah, you got it all turned around backwards, the alcohol doesn't go on the blade, it goes in you. Extensive test studies performed by myself and my associates have confirmed that you will live longer and be smarter if you rinse your blades in water and put some nice sipping whiskey (preferably scotch if you are civilized) directly into your system to preserve whatever it is that makes you tick. Boy we oldtimers have to teach you youngsters everything. Note the advice of the golden monkey, dip your blade in boiling water or alcohol just before you use it, that's it.

Last edited:
I use medical alcohol for sanitizing razors. I don't have barbicide. I've long assumed that alcohol is acceptable for sanitizing razors that come in after purchase. Is that correct? I usually give it a good 1 hr soak in the alcohol. My razors don't have plastic parts.

Top Bottom