What's new

Kitchen Knives

Hello

I am in the market for some new good kitchen knives... I am looking at Global knives from Japan and JA Henckels (Twin Cuisine). Ive tried both. There both very good and handle well. I noticed the Global knives are a lot lighter than the Henckels. Both very sharp. Anyone have any experience with buying knives? Any recommendations or tips? Any other brands or product lines i should be looking at?

THanks
Jeff

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Either and both are as sharp as you want to make them. You would be hard pressed to wear either out in your lifetime. The Globals are trendy right now but my bottom line is what feels right in your hands.

I use Globals and really like them, but as the gentleman above mentioned, I'd ideally want to at least hold a knife before buying. Global handles are quite thin and some people find them uncomfortable. Insanely sharp though! :thumbup1:

There will be others more knowledgeable than myself along shortly with more advice. :001_smile

There have been some kitchen knife threads before.

I love my Victorinox knives. I got this set for just under a hundred on Ebay. I don't use the slicer much, but other than that all the knives get used, but if pressed I'd get just the chef's knife, rabbit (paring) and shears.

They are very good stamped knives, and get several mentions in "bet bang for the buck" reviews, and that's why I bought them. Completely happy with them, but I don't kid myself to think that they are in the same league with some of the custom/ top class knives that are sure to get mentioned in this thread.

They do fit my champagne tastes and beer budget quite well.:thumbup1:

I dont understand this at all. Can some one explain to me why you need knives that cost $80+ per knife. My room mate bought a set of 6 knives for $250 and a month later she tells me that they are junk. Me personally I go to Canadian Tire get a set of 15(which is way more then I need but looks fancy on the counter) and I am happy its a knife if it cuts it is a good one. I have used my room mates knives that were $250 and didn't think that they were any different then my $60 set just a little sharper but I'm not cutting anything crazy mine cut just the same. Then the other day she came home with one of those german J.a Hankles it was wait for it........$160 I was like what the heck.
Same thing with pots she wants a set of J.a H pots they are $1000 for 8 pots I'm sure they are no better then the $150 or less dollar sets

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I dont understand this at all.

We're also on a shaving site that the average person doesn't understand at all.

It's all about expectations- if you're happy with something, be it a Gillette Fusion, a cheap ball point pen, a razor thin teflon frying pan, or whatever, then you're happy with it. Ultimately, you only have to please yourself. When you take a particular endeavor seriously to the extent that it becomes a hobby, you tend to become more interested in the tools of the trade. If you're a photographer, you want a Leica. If you're not, a $60 point and shoot you can buy at a grocery store will suffice. If you don't cook, it really doesn't matter what you use, but if you enjoy it, it's only natural to explore the goodies that are available to those who are so inclined. Do you think everyone needs to use GFT soaps and Harris creams? Of course not, but it's still amazing that they exist at all, let alone have a following.

A wise man once said that B&B is about that last 3%.........

Ask a golfer he can tell the difference between a $100 set of irons from Kmart and grain forged Mizuno irons that cost $700-1000 per set... same difference. The 'feel' and durability can offer more benefits than just a surface to hit the ball. Same with the a knife...

I agree there is some 'non-sense marketing' in the cutlery world, but keep in mind that certain people use knives every day in the kitchen. I'm sure a cheaper knife works great for opening the plastic wrapper around frozen pizzas, but some people need better.

I dont understand this at all. Can some one explain to me why you need knives that cost $80+ per knife. My room mate bought a set of 6 knives for $250 and a month later she tells me that they are junk. Me personally I go to Canadian Tire get a set of 15(which is way more then I need but looks fancy on the counter) and I am happy its a knife if it cuts it is a good one. I have used my room mates knives that were $250 and didn't think that they were any different then my $60 set just a little sharper but I'm not cutting anything crazy mine cut just the same. Then the other day she came home with one of those german J.a Hankles it was wait for it........$160 I was like what the heck.
Same thing with pots she wants a set of J.a H pots they are $1000 for 8 pots I'm sure they are no better then the $150 or less dollar sets

I've been divorced for 20 years and have 4 offspring (they're grown). I've had a Henckels set for 10 years. They hold their sharpness well (includes sharpening rod), have good heft, and look new. Don't put them in the dishwasher. My son has some Wusthof knives.....and I think they're over-rated. They're very nice, but not 4 times the cost of the Henckels nice.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Good recommendations already. I'll just throw in a vendor to check out....

http://japanesechefsknife.com/products.html

Hi Ouch & Jim! :001_smile

Dave

What an operation! Not only is their service great, their selection impressive, and their prices the best, what never ceases to amaze me is the speed of their shipping. I once ordered a knife on a Friday afternoon and had it in my hand on Tuesday. From Japan! :thumbup1:

If you're ordering on line, JCK is tough to beat, but I still love NYC's Korin for the ability to see (and hold) the knives in person, the free in store touch up (lessons, too), and the "toy store" factor, not to mention the delicacy with which they handle your knife. :lol:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Mor7B9O4I[/YOUTUBE]

A couple of observations.

If you talk to people who go to cooking school, they start out using rather mundane cutlery. Mercer is a popular choice, IIRC. A 10" Mercer chef's knife will set you back $35.

The most important thing about a knife is how it feels in your hand. If it's not comfortable, I don't care how much it costs and how good it's supposed to be, it's not the knife for you.

You have to keep your knifes sharpened. For me that's taking them to a pro about every 6 weeks for sharpening. YMMV.

A couple of observations.

If you talk to people who go to cooking school, they start out using rather mundane cutlery. Mercer is a popular choice, IIRC. A 10" Mercer chef's knife will set you back $35.

The most important thing about a knife is how it feels in your hand. If it's not comfortable, I don't care how much it costs and how good it's supposed to be, it's not the knife for you.

You have to keep your knifes sharpened. For me that's taking them to a pro about every 6 weeks for sharpening. YMMV.

Good idea. The local cooking school or community college with a good program should stock these sorts of knives. A restaurant supply store should carry them too. Note: these aren't for looks, just comfort, dishwasher safe and sharpenable.

Top Bottom