What's new

New shaver greets

Hello everyone! A month ago I started to use a safety razor for the first time in my life and I' m not going back to either cartridges or electrical.

First a little background: I have spent so much money over the last ten years into shaving that I don' t even want to think about it.
Cheap plastic disposables, multiple electric philipshaves and brauns, gillette mach from 2 to 5 blades and the list just goes on and on..
I have a tough beard and sensitive skin, the cheap blades just don' t work and with philipshave my whole face is a single mass of razor burn.
Quote form the store clerk about philipshave: "Just keep using it and your skin will get used to it in a couple of weeks". After years it still isn' t.

Then I found this forum and you were preaching about the wonders of shaving, how it could be a thing to wait for during the day. Did not believe it at first.
Then I decided why not, I have been spending so much money already that this does not hurt at all. So I got myself the Merkur 38C, the body shop shaving cream and their brush.
First it felt like I was a grampa and the first try-out was like a scene from a vampire movie, still I kept going.
A couple a days ago I found out that I had no nicks or cuts, no burn and the beard was almost non-existent! YES! Like a kid in a candy store! My hours of reading posts and watching youtube videos finally paid off!

This is also a little thank you, this forum made me take a step forward and not look back. Only cheap and fun shaving days await.

Ps.
The funny thing about safety razors here in Finland is that the normal stores have just the steeply overpriced Gillette Platinum russian blades (5€/5blades)
but none of the actual machines to use them with?!?!
A really good way to sell those?

I will always remember the look on the cashier when I bought those blades :biggrin1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Those are quite expensive... But yes, funny that. I rarely see a DE razor in Australia on the shelves of the supermarket or Pharmacy. They do sell some blades...

Hello everyone! A month ago I started to use a safety razor for the first time in my life and I' m not going back to either cartridges or electrical.

My hours of reading posts and watching youtube videos finally paid off!

Great job, Finn!
Welcome to Badger & Blade!!!

DL

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B
Her in the States you only find DE razors in antique stores.
Have not seen one in a local pharmacy in over a decade.

John

Thank you all! I have now received my first blade sampler pack from UK. I think that with 120 blades and different manufacturers
I' ll be able to find the blade that is best suited for me.

I can also take blade tips from the guys who have nails as their beard :laugh:

Thank you all! I have now received my first blade sampler pack from UK. I think that with 120 blades and different manufacturers
I' ll be able to find the blade that is best suited for me.

I can also take blade tips from the guys who have nails as their beard :laugh:

I am new to the W/S as well, but have learned alot from B&B as well as the nice folks who post here. My recommendation is to try one brand of blade for at least a week. This will give you time to adjust and give it a fair chance. Also, I have found that most blades give a better shave for on the second and third day of use versus the first. Some of the more experienced guys can give you better advice than me though. Welcome!!! Larry

Top Bottom