What's new

Shaving with a 1906 gillette?

Hello all. I've been lurking for a few weeks now, and thought I'd throw out my first post.

I was in a thrift store today, and picked up a Gillette that, according to that page with all the Gillette date codes, is a 1906. For four dollars (US), it was hard to pass up.

Does anyone here shave with one of these (or another of that era) on a regular basis? I understand that they were meant to be used with thicker blades than are available today. Any special tips if I decide to give it a try?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, I haven't done this myself, as I don't have a Gillette of that era. But some of the guys that shave with the original DE's make a thin shim placed under the blade to raise the blade slightly. Apparently it works satisfactorily. You'll just have to hunt through the old threads here to find the posts.

-- John Gehman

Hello all. I've been lurking for a few weeks now, and thought I'd throw out my first post.

I was in a thrift store today, and picked up a Gillette that, according to that page with all the Gillette date codes, is a 1906. For four dollars (US), it was hard to pass up.

Does anyone here shave with one of these (or another of that era) on a regular basis? I understand that they were meant to be used with thicker blades than are available today. Any special tips if I decide to give it a try?

Thanks,

Mark

Would love to see a pic!!:badger:

Mark, welcome aboard. I tried it with a 1907, but did not have good results. Since those older models don't really have any blade gap, you really need a shim of some sort, and I didn't try to make one. I just put mine 1907 away as a collector piece.

If you figure it out, post up your results. I'd love to see if you make it work. :thumbup1:

Thanks everyone. I will try to get a photo up. I've done minimal cleanup on it so far...maybe some brasso would do the trick.

Checking the archives, I think I'll try taking my Dremel to an old blade or two, and using that as a shim. Someday, anyway.

Thanks!

Mark

Top Bottom