Thread: Shaving with a 1906 gillette?

Post Shaving with a 1906 gillette?

Hello all. I've been lurking for a few weeks now, and thought I'd throw out my first post.

I was in a thrift store today, and picked up a Gillette that, according to that page with all the Gillette date codes, is a 1906. For four dollars (US), it was hard to pass up.

Does anyone here shave with one of these (or another of that era) on a regular basis? I understand that they were meant to be used with thicker blades than are available today. Any special tips if I decide to give it a try?

Thanks,

Mark

Images

Mark, I haven't done this myself, as I don't have a Gillette of that era. But some of the guys that shave with the original DE's make a thin shim placed under the blade to raise the blade slightly. Apparently it works satisfactorily. You'll just have to hunt through the old threads here to find the posts.

-- John Gehman

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hello all. I've been lurking for a few weeks now, and thought I'd throw out my first post.

I was in a thrift store today, and picked up a Gillette that, according to that page with all the Gillette date codes, is a 1906. For four dollars (US), it was hard to pass up.

Does anyone here shave with one of these (or another of that era) on a regular basis? I understand that they were meant to be used with thicker blades than are available today. Any special tips if I decide to give it a try?

Thanks,

Mark

Would love to see a pic!!
    Jeff [B]Razors:[/B] Futur/Progress [B]Blades:[/B] Derby's/Feathers [B]Brushes: [/B]B&B Faux Horn Finest Silvertip [B]Soaps:[/B] Mama Bear's [B]Creams:[/B] T&H [URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10447"]Jeff's Hall of Fame Entry[/URL] What's the point of dating without games? How do you know if you're winning or losing?-Jerry Seinfield

Images

Mark, welcome aboard. I tried it with a 1907, but did not have good results. Since those older models don't really have any blade gap, you really need a shim of some sort, and I didn't try to make one. I just put mine 1907 away as a collector piece.

If you figure it out, post up your results. I'd love to see if you make it work.
    [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]I do not belong to the school which holds that aggression is to be met by concession. Mine is the opposite creed, which teaches that encroachments must be met at the beginning, and that those who act on the opposite principle are prepared to become slaves. In this case, in particular, I hold concession or compromise to be fatal.[i]--John C. Calhoun of South Carolina[/i][/font]

Thanks everyone. I will try to get a photo up. I've done minimal cleanup on it so far...maybe some brasso would do the trick.

Checking the archives, I think I'll try taking my Dremel to an old blade or two, and using that as a shim. Someday, anyway.

Thanks!

Mark