What's new

Cold Weather Affecting Facial Hair

This weeks definitely been a cold week out were i live, alot colder than the norm, in the 40s or so. iv noticed that in the mornings i can sometimes FEEL my facial hair growing, idk if thats whats happening or not, but i get incredibly stubbly by noon which is really quite absurd for me.

Personally mine seems to have slowed growth since the cold wave hit (BBers in the US know what I mean. I'm in Alabama and it's 18° this morning). Also it seems the shaves are closer. Not sure that's coincidence or a result but it definitely got me wondering.

This weeks definitely been a cold week out were i live, alot colder than the norm, in the 40s

Today where I'm at the high is 6 degrees. :blink: I think my beard is growing at normal speed. It has the same growth a day after I shave.

40 degrees is cold.:lol: Man I'd kill to have 40 degrees. Then maybe some of this dog gone snow would melt.

well it is california, so im kind of a panzy when it comes to cold weather w have it real good out here usually doesnt go below 60 were i live.

Being technical, I think your facial hair rate of growth should slow down during winter months. I am sticking to that BUT............. I shave every other day and here in the past few weeks it SEEMS as if I need to start shaving everyday. I just don't know.

DL

I've never thought about one way or the other. My beard seems to grow at about the same rate no matter what the weather. All I know is its COLD, COLD, COLD here now. :thumbdown

I don't know about beard growth rates, but I do know that when it's real cold (as in like 10 and under for windchill) I don't shave nearly as often. The cold wind against a freshly shaven face is not a good feeling.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was curious because we are going into winter and I like to walk (-10 C )and I have noticed a little less growth on the face and dryer face condition . So I googled this subject and there is a host of ideas.
Cold air induces a reflex reaction of Vasoconstriction (reduction of blood flow) in the skin in order to reduce body heat loss. Less blood flow to the skin implies less oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicles and therefore less hair growth (this actually has been researched and is well known)(not my words).:detective:o_O

Not sure about hair growth rates in the cold, but with the cold air comes dry skin.
I tend to use a face balm more in the winter months, Nivea and Body Shop come to mind.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

its the skin that changes, not the facial hair.

Youll notice that the skin on your hands is cracking and drying and basically shrinking. so is your face.

Top Bottom